Toyota 0w-20, 10,292 miles, 2011 Toyota Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yota4me
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Under "filter" is states "15 microns." Which cartridge filter is this ?
Great looking report !

I guess I forgot to answer this. It was a genuine Toyota filter.

Isn't the "15 microns" rating for a Toyota filter an error? Amsoil's testing showed it's 51% at 20 microns.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

Efficiency on Toyota's OE filter is not spectacular, as you show.

I was not the one who wrote 15 microns on the test report, OAI did.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Under "filter" is states "15 microns." Which cartridge filter is this ?
Great looking report !

I guess I forgot to answer this. It was a genuine Toyota filter.

I am at 49k now and will be due for another oil change soon. Thinking about going with plain 'ol Mobil 1 5w-30 this time to see if there will be any difference in mpg, but part of me says to stick with 0w-20 for at least one more 10k run due to the 60k warranty.

Decided to go with M1 0w20. I spoke to a trusted friend who's a shop foreman at a very large Toyota dealership who said he has seen two Gen III Prius with driveability problems after using 5w30. He said that on one of the cars, it rattled excessively during cold start-up which was cured by replacing the oil with 0w20. He also mentioned that the higher-viscosity 5w30 would cause slower cranking, and the ECM is looking for a specific cranking speed and a difference may trigger a CEL or a no-start condition.

Originally Posted By: martinq
Originally Posted By: asharris7
We still don't know if tgmo is tri nuclear or not...

According to user madmax_ooohhh who is retired from the field, it certainly adds up that they're indeed using the trimer moly for Toyota. 'from Infineum' and 'due to it's efficient nature' sums it up to me.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...431#Post2552431

"OK, just got a reply email from my colleague, and he confirmed that we are using a moly from Infineum for the Toyota formula. Apparently, we are using a smaller amount due to it's efficient nature."

I forgot about that quote from him. It would appear to be that way, I would like to have "concrete" proof on a spec sheet or something. Not calling him a liar at all, I just know how the internet works. . .

Originally Posted By: asharris7
I forgot about that quote from him. It would appear to be that way, I would like to have "concrete" proof on a spec sheet or something. Not calling him a liar at all, I just know how the internet works. . .

It seems that many high-performance engine oils are using moly now or some substitute. Of those that use moly, there seem to be two camps. Those around 100ppm are likely using the trimer (or state it outright) and those with 400-800ppm are using the dimer or similar.

Everyone isn't going to print what FMs they are using. Some will say outright, some will leave clues and some will be silent.

Last edited:
Changed the oil with Mobil 1 0w20 last night. Engine is significantly quieter, especially less start-up rattle. I guess the Toyota 0w20 must have really thinned out.

Originally Posted By: garageman402
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
OK....I will bite?

Your quote: " The car sees full throttle every morning during the first 30 seconds of start-up."

Why?

After seeing the analysis, I'd say the appropriate question would be "why not?".

The way Prius works, ICE is spared when cold and most cold acceleration comes from battery that can be depleted very fast and then ICE has no choice but step in to provide acceleration AND to replenish battery. Bad for MPG and battery life. Of course that wear and tear is not going to show on UOA.

The OP should invest in a block heater and then he can do that full throttle stunt with ease.

Quote:
He also mentioned that the higher-viscosity 5w30 would cause slower cranking, and the ECM is looking for a specific cranking speed and a difference may trigger a CEL or a no-start condition.

Well that explains everything.
I was wondering why there were so few Prius in Germany, now i know.
They are all stuck at home with a no start condition.

I cant find one thread anywhere on any Euro forum where owners or Toyota TSB are reporting any issues at all running on ESP 5w30 or AFE 0w30.

Are you sure he is not related to Caterham?
lol.gif

I'm not buying this part too. Certainly 5W30 is thinner in hot summer than 0W20 in cold winter. How about the Australian Prius that is allowed to use up to 20W50?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I'm not buying this part too. Certainly 5W30 is thinner in hot summer than 0W20 in cold winter. How about the Australian Prius that is allowed to use up to 20W50?

Ah Jacek, we had this discussion in another thread, glad we think alike. You'll be told: what does Oz have to do with the USA? 20 grade oil isn't available there, or hard to find, the USA uses the most optimal oil, there couldn't possibly be the same conditions there that exist here in the USA, and lots of other info which IMO is just about worthless. Bottom line is CAFE, oh yea and if you mention CAFE you're considered paranoid, wear a tin hate, and feel there is a conspiracy going on against you. LOLOLOLOL

My apologies if I missed anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back