Toro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toro snowthrower, #38185 4903283. Having issues with spark. It will run for a bit then die and will not always restart. When it does start again, it will only run for a few seconds and die again. I pull the plug and find it has no spark. There is a module on the flywheel shroud and when I tap on it, the spark returns but not consistantly. I have isolated the coil from the kill switch, cleaned the contact between the module and shroud with no change. I am guessing the problem lies within that module. The problem is that a new module is $200, as is the coil!!! Has excellent spark when spark is there, so I do not thinl the coil is the issue. What is the purpose of this module? Is there any way to fix this? Not spending $200 on a module.

Thanks

I'd get a new spark plug and new spark plug cap, check the distance between the magneto and flywheel (at least with a business card if you don't have feeler gauges), and see if that helps. If not the part is probably cheaper on Ebay. For that price I'd consider an rtek powered toro (2450 or 3650) on craigslist.

I sold a ccr-3600 deluxe model with all the bells and whistles for 160$(in october)
it was 3 years old and needed a carb cleaning but ran fine.

maybe pickup someones junker for parts and combine it with yours to make it work for under 60$

just be aware if you pickup a used one to replace your's ~~5 years old you might need parts such as scraper bar,belt, paddles, carb.

The plastic carbs can sometimes warp and need replacement at 80$ or so. replacement carbs are metal.

Currently have a tweaked ccr-2450 and its pretty amazing for a "5hp" single stage.

Last edited:
I'm no expert with this engine but my guess is it's similar to the transistor module used on GM HEI (those blow all the time) or the igniter used on Toyota. It converts a pulse from the flywheel to trigger the coil.

A youtube video from doublewide6 said we parts out engines on eBay because small engine parts are very expensive from a dealer.

Check out this video and search his channel for more info

Try finding the ignition module on eBay to see if you can get your engine running.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Currently have a tweaked ccr-2450 and its pretty amazing for a "5hp" single stage.

Is that the Suzuki powered one? I cleaned one up and sold it 3-4yrs ago and have been kicking myself ever since.

off-topic but its the R-tek 2 cycle.
really like it. very light and good performance.

Probably got another 5 years of use in it.. at least. its 15 years old. starting to rust abit
all the screws and bolts etc are pretty crusty.

Ebay can be a good alternative, I've had better luck picking up broken ones on craigslist during the offseason for CHEAP!

Last edited:
I have tried different plugs with no change. I have been told that Oregon makes an ignition module that replaces points/condenser. This engine does not have points/condenser. Does anyone know if this Module would work? I cannot get a spark at all now, so not sure if it is the coil or the module. No spark even when I disconnect the kill switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back