toro not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Toro is a 2011 model year?

So it's got a Chinese OHV engine on it?

I was going to suggest scrapping the Tecumseh for a "Chonda" if you get sick of fiddling with the carb, but it sounds like it may already have one.

Originally Posted By: JTK
This Toro is a 2011 model year?

So it's got a Chinese OHV engine on it?

I was going to suggest scrapping the Tecumseh for a "Chonda" if you get sick of fiddling with the carb, but it sounds like it may already have one.

Yes the morel is a 2011 Toro. I did write Toro back and tell them how disappointing it is to have a $450 snow blower break down after three uses. will have to see where the engine is made, I would bet it is made in China.

Originally Posted By: matrass

Yes the morel is a 2011 Toro. I did write Toro back and tell them how disappointing it is to have a $450 snow blower break down after three uses. will have to see where the engine is made, I would bet it is made in China.

Yeah, given it's a 2011, Tecumseh was long gone by then. I don't believe Toro went with Briggs OHVs, so if it's not that, it's a Chinese import engine. Possibly an LCT USA engine? (Liquid Combustion Technology).

Did you check the spark plug on the beast? Many of the Chinese import engines come with a horrible dollar store spark plug installed. Swap it out for a known brand plug.

Joel

update on the snowblower issue. bought the carb kit and changed the gaskets float, float needle. same thing starts and runs for like 2 seconds then dies. looks like I will be going back to the trusty shovel this winter.

I struggled with my 2005 Tecumseh engine the other day on our snowblower and this may help...

After unsuccessfully rebuilding the carb last year I picked up a new one on ebay in Nov for $25. Put it on there and it would run for 5 mins or so and then die. Did the usual checks - spark plug (OK), fuel - had a slight kink that caused fuel starvation. Once I fixed the kink the unit would run for a little and then die. Checked again and it turns out the gas cap vent was/is plugged. Unscrewed it a tad and it ran like a champ.

So check your fuel line for kinks and the gas cap.

thanks for the suggestions. will check spark plug today to see what brand it is. the gas cap vent sounds like an easy idea to try so that will be done after work today. guess I could always grab an ngk plug on Monday ( if the gas cap vent idea does not help ) and swap the old one out to be sure the plug is not the culprit. if those two items are fine I suppose it is time to replace the fuel line. I did cut a small piece off that went from the fuel filter to the inlet on the carb it does have a sharper bend in it now. removing the nut from the bottom of the carb revealed a nice amount of gas in the bowl though( when I installed the rebuild kit )

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Put a new fuel filter on, or temporarily remove it, too. Then see what happens.

I did put a brand new fuel filter on it and it did not seem to make much of a difference in fuel flow. looks like Advanced auto has the NGK spark plug so if the roads are descent I will stop and grab a new plug on the way home from work today. wish I knew what size the fuel line is so I can grab a couple of feet of that as well. figure changing the plug and the short fuel line between the fuel filter and the inlet of the carb would only take a couple of minutes. this would be after trying to see if removing or cracking open the gap cap a little made any change.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
If the bowl is fuel of fuel, I would lean towards bad plug or main jet problem.

I am hoping that you and the others that suggested a bad plug are correct. at first the bowl did not have a lot of fuel in it and that seemed to suggest float , dirty carb. can not imagine the jet being plugged after running a small wire though the whole unit and watching kreen flow though the holes freely but I could be wrong I guess. the thing that gets me is the starting and running for a few seconds have been there from the beginning. have had the small amount of kreen in the gas tank for a few weeks so it should have dissolved any crud if there was some in the carb , lines etc... wonder if somebody would buy it even though it is not running. if I can get a few bucks for it I could put it towards a new unit, somebody who has the time and patience could get it running cheaply I am sure. my brother tells me I have the patience of a rock but even I am getting tired of messing with this thing.

How old is this machine. ??

The machine is less than 2 years old. I tried to start it after work today and left the gas cap a little looser , same thing. removed the gas cap, no difference. removed the plug and cleaned it no change. took the carb off and checked all of the hoses and could not see any kinked hoses. looking at the spark plug I did not see a brand on it so that leads me to believe it is a not a brand name one. will stop by AA after work tomorrow and see if they have the NGK plug that I need. did not have time to stop today as I had to get home and shovel before it got dark.

check the plug for spark, take the plug out, put the spark plug wire back on, ground it against the head and pull it over , should see a nice crisp blue spark, in the dark is a perfect time to try this.

Last edited:
check the plug for spark, take the plug out, put the spark plug wire back on, ground it against the head and pull it over , should see a nice crisp blue spark, in the dark is a perfect time to try this.

Was going to try the spark plug test last night but it got late by the time I could head back out to try it ( had to be up early for work today ) going to see if AA has the NGK plug I need. if they do not I will check the plug for spark as you suggested when it gets dark tonight. update *** called Advanced auto and they do not have my plug in stock * looks like I will be doing the plug test tonight to see if there is adequate spark. if not I can call the local Toro dealer and see if they have the plug in stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
My guess is.... you have hole in the main jet that is still plugged.

you could be correct. I had run a small wire though every hole that I could find on the carb a few times rotating it while I pushed it through. after that I poured a little kreen though all of the holes. the kreen flowed right through. I do not have a compressor or I would take the carb off and blow air though all of the holes. open to ideas .seems like a bad jet could be theory, seems wired that the kreen did not slow down when poured into the openings.

well I did find a new NGK plug at a local Autozone after calling around before I left work. changed the plug and no change at all. I also bought a can of carb spray figuring I could spray the heck out of the carb with more force than the Amsoil powerfoam had.removed the carb and went through 1 whole can of carb spray though every little holes I could see. haldway though the can I stopped and took a small piece of wire to run though all of the holes again. I cut the wire a few times to get a nice piece to work with. used the rest of the can of carb spray. put the float assembly back in and attached the float bowl. when I put the carb back on I tried to make sure the fuel line was as straight as possible to allow the best flow. after all of this no change. I still have to prime it like 8 times and it will start for a 2 seconds then dies. prime it 8 times starts for 2 seconds then dies. have to give myself some credit as it was very cold with the windchill on my back porch today. just can not understand how there could be something stuck in the carb, I saw two small holes in the carb and I removed the two elbows for intake and exit on the carb. made sure to spray and part that sage seemed to flow through and ran the wire there. hate to spend the cash on a new carb if it ends up doing the same thing. wish I had a known working carb that I could try and that would tell me for sure if it is the problem. wonder if I took it to the dealer if they could test it on a working unit ? will see if I can find a picture online of what the carb looks like. the metal is very clean so if I am missing something it would have to be screwed in , is that possible ?

I found a link to an Eaby auction where the carb looks very similar to mine. looking at the picture showing the top of the carb there appears to be a brass screw, is that the fuel jet ? do not remember taking that part out ... here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toro-Power-Clear...=item1e74c8093e

Last edited:
Have you adjusted any mixture screws if any on the carb? Is it possible you have them way out of adjustment ?
It sure sounds like you have the carb clean. On a two year old machine I can't see it being gummed up that bad from one year to the next.
You must be next to a saint.
I would have smashed the S.O.B by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back