Top Sirloin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
24hrs sounds too long. What was she using for marinade? How thick are the steaks?

Cook's Illustrated has an interesting way of dealing with sirloin. I've tried it several times and works good. The rarer the better as it'll quickly get tough when over-cooked. I hope you're not paying $10/# for sirloin though.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Maybe what we get isn't top sirloin, but the sirloin we get tastes good and is nice and lean. It's not super tender, but it's not tough either. Sirloin is actually my favorite cut for a cross of leanness, flavor and cost.

Top sirloin is one of my favorites, but once in a while, I sure get a tough, flavourless one. The last one I got was pretty darned terrible, all things considered.

I looked at Prime tops at Costco the other day. They sure had more marbling than the package we bought that were tough. I think ours were mis-marked, but lesson learned.

Wouldn't even think of grilling top sirloin, but we buy it regularly when it's 30% off.

Cut into serving pieces, season and tenderize if desired.
Dust it with flour and brown in a skillet.
Place in a baking dish and cover with slices of onion.
Make a gravy from the goodies in the pan with cream of mushroom soup.
Pour over the meat/onions and bake covered at 350F until done...1.5 -2 hours.

GrtArtiste

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Costco meat isn't great.

I don't know anything about Costco meat, but I am pretty sure Costco chicken rotisserie is very good and the price is unbeatable.

For steak, I like Filet Mignon and New York, Top Sirloin is too hard to chew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back