Took the Castrol Edge plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I couldn’t beat the 5 quarts of EDGE and PureOne filter for $24.99 especially once I use my $15.00 Castrol rebate. Had my dealer drain my M1-EP 5w30 yesterday at 4300 miles
33.gif
. First impressions are less valve train noise. Before I was using a M1-101 filter because I believed they were well made. I am a little skeptical of using a Purolator filter. Will keep you guys posted. For now I'm stocking up $10 for Edge and filter man too hard to pass up. Wife was like "Don't you already have oil in the garage?" I answered yes but no Castrol Edge. She just shook her head. Women can’t kill'em but you can...
06.gif
J/K hope my wife doesn’t surf here.

Edge is a great oil... I just wouldn't blindly go the mileage they claim without doing a UOA at the 8-9K Mile mark is all.

If we could get that deal, let alone Edge up here I would do the same as you.
wink.gif

Some have said that they also used a $10 Adance Auto coupon making it free.

That's another thing that is never allowed... Double couponing or rebating.
mad.gif

TG I live so close to the border and have a friend with a US address so I can take advantage of these things if I want to.
wink.gif

Yeah my local stores won't accept the $10.00 coupon on sale items. That's okay I plan on using it to stock up on some Icon blades w/ $15.00 rebate. Also I only plan on going 9-10K miles on this oil and filter per my OLM.

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
Well I couldn’t beat the 5 quarts of EDGE and PureOne filter for $24.99 especially once I use my $15.00 Castrol rebate. Had my dealer drain my M1-EP 5w30 yesterday at 4300 miles
33.gif
. First impressions are less valve train noise. Before I was using a M1-101 filter because I believed they were well made. I am a little skeptical of using a Purolator filter. Will keep you guys posted. For now I'm stocking up $10 for Edge and filter man too hard to pass up. Wife was like "Don't you already have oil in the garage?" I answered yes but no Castrol Edge. She just shook her head. Women can’t kill'em but you can...
06.gif
J/K hope my wife doesn’t surf here.

Stupid question,but does the motor feel any different?
27.gif
BTW,the Mobil-1 filters are noted some where on here to have weak anti drain back valves.I can tell you when I used them I got the morning chatter every time.I then switched to Purelator,and no more morning chatter
55.gif

Motor feels and sounds smoother, but that could be placebo. Also, it could be attributed to the M1-101 ADBV. I drained the EP at such low miles to find out if the oil and filter were causing my valve train noise. Since 27K miles I have had this car on a steady diet of synthetic: First 2 changes with RP 5w30, then M1 reg 5w30 and EP 5w30. With all changes I used M1 filters. Always seemed to have like an intermittent knock. Didn't matter if it was cold or hot, and the dealer says the motor is fine. Only problem now is figuring out which one decreased the noise, filter or oil....
21.gif

I took the "Edge" plunge as well last month. I'm gonna be changing my current fill at only 3,000 miles with 5W-30 edge in about a month. I originally planned for 5k but I'm noticing more valvetrain noise with Syntec Blend and the 7317 size filter, which I've never noticed with any other oil/filter combination before. It could just be my imagination but I really don't remember it being this noisy. If the noise is the same with the Edge and the Bosch filter I'm going to use, I'll just assume my memory served me incorrectly, which is probably the case.
55.gif

Purolator PureOne. It's been my favorite filter thus far. I am using it in 3 of my 4 cars. If they had one for my 535i, I would be using it too.

I took the Edge plunge too. Planning on putting Edge 5w-30 into my Corolla right before the sub zero temps hit this year. It has a very nice TBN and I have read that in 5w-30 it should have nice winter characteristics.

I am going to run a UOA six months from when I put it in to see how well it holds up to short trips and sub-zero temps.

I also took the Edge plunge with my 1998 Corvette with 122,000 miles. I had been using Mobil 1 but was concerned about wear (lead readings) in my UOAs for last couple of years, so we will see about the 8X's less wear.

I noticed that my engine was quieter also.

Picked up 20 qts today on the AAP deal. I'll be switching out two of my cars in November to the 5W30....Should be a great winter oil IMO.

FWIW, my local AAP has never given me a problem when changing out a PureOne for a Mobil 1 filter when they dont have one or the other in stock. Today I got two pureones, pl15436 and pl12222. But they didnt have the pureone for my GTO so they said no problem when I grabbed two 107's and asked...."even up?" It's never been a problem at all.
As far as quality between the two....I'd say very similar. The Pure One and Mobil 1 have been my first choice for a while now....Both are very good for OTS....as is Wix as well.

Last edited:
Made me think about those old commercials,"Take the Nestea plunge",and they`d fall backwards into a pool of water after taking a swig :^P

I do not get it???? What is the Edge plunge? Is some ginger haired guy going to to come around and hitmy in the back of the legs and call me Juimmy? Explain? or DO you mean that the marketing push by Castrol was just too much for your analytical brain to sort out and like a school boy you had to have some new andimproved Castrol Oil????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back