Too much to expect from a HF bolt?

I don't want to pretend to follow this thread for liability reasons.

But Harbor Freight and brakes and bolts should just not be any kind of combination people should even mention, let alone use.

I got two bolts from this set to insert into a rotor on my Subaru and tightened the bolts, one then the other back trying to pop off the rotor. After they got tight they just started turning, no longer moving in. I wacked the rotor several time with a rubber mallet to get the rotor off.

Once off, I could not get the bolt unthreaded. Used a drift pin and hammer to get the bolt out.

Seems to me crappy steel was used to make this bolt.

I know I could go to a hardware store and get a class 5 bolt that would be better.

Or am I expecting too much?

Did you abuse them by exposing them to direct sunlight, or applying torque to them? Well, no wonder! 😁

Yeah what do you expect from a country that purposely poisoned pet food that was imported here many years ago?
The sad thing is they are perfectly capable of making top quality stuff, you'd think they would do that to make a better name for themselves.

Ace will generally have a good grade 5 or grade 8 or what ever the better grade metric sizes are.
The cheap stuff is soft and drills out easily. Buy a couple fresh 1/8 bits when you go shopping for decent bolt :cool:

I've kept a few of the rotor bolts around. IME the threads can take a beating after just a couple of uses, so I try to keep a fresh set in the toolbox. That said--they're not from HF. The HF junk bolts are ok for small projects, would never expect them to hold up to any real use.

I'm guessing that those Storehouse assortment fasteners (and most hardware store fastener assortments) are low strength (no head markings).

Untitled_34.jpg

Source: McMaster-Carr

Bolts are among the list of things I will not buy at HF. Paint brushes, rollers, electric tape, masking tape, zip ties... All junk.
Actually, I do buy a bag of 12" zip ties every Christmas for putting up decorations. No point in using my good ones.

Good hardware has become insanely expensive these days. I built a beach wheelchair last summer and needed six 1/2" bolts to bolt the wheel adapter plates to the frame. I almost fell over when it rang up to 52 dollars for six bolts and nuts. Shoulda just ordered ARP and got it over with.

There are just too many bolts and nuts to try and have your own assortment. Regular and metric, standard and fine thread, Allen head vs regular bolt heads and a new one on me a high collar washer.

Ace is the place.

You can get decent imperial measure nuts, bolts and washers at Tractor supply - sold by the pound, or you used to. Grade 5 and 8 - different prices obviously. Never had an issue with them.

Metric is the problem. I have a decent selection, but a lot of them I pulled used in the junkyard when I was there anyway. There supposed to charge you 25 cents each, but if you have a bunch they add a couple bucks to your bill and call it good - here at least.

I typically buy new bolts from Nissan when I do a project. Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't, but I don't feel like going searching. I likely have spent hundreds of dollars on Nissan bolts in the last 10 year.

If you need qty McMaster is good, albeit expensive but at least there decent quality.

I have these and use them in low stress situations where they are not a critical fastener.

I wouldn’t put high torque on these things as you have learned.

Lesson is over, and I’d pick up Grade 8 for what you’re doing. 😎

Problem, keeping a decent stock for projects. Easy with construction screws and nails, handful of sizes will handle most projects.

I got two bolts from this set to insert into a rotor on my Subaru and tightened the bolts, one then the other back trying to pop off the rotor. After they got tight they just started turning, no longer moving in. I wacked the rotor several time with a rubber mallet to get the rotor off.

Once off, I could not get the bolt unthreaded. Used a drift pin and hammer to get the bolt out.

Seems to me crappy steel was used to make this bolt.

I know I could go to a hardware store and get a class 5 bolt that would be better.

Or am I expecting too much?

Why would you support the Chinese war machine, buying this garbage?

I know, the options are lousy. COO for hardware is likely nonexistent. I’m sure going to any box store doesn’t get hardware made in the USA (except perhaps spax screws, which are the only screws I’ll buy anymore).

If the bolts weren’t noted with a grade, it’s likely they don’t use the best steel. How do you think HF (or anyplace else for that matter) makes a price point?

Ive also been much more pleased with the quality of hardware and finishes when buying from a real, local hs store, than any box store or even Ace… particularly when buying corrosion resistant or higher grade large fasteners.

you bought garbage, banged on it, and got the result. What else would you expect?!?

Since this is revived.. That is what I use but from ace hardware locally.

Those HF trash bolts are ok for hanging lattice or something like that.
I got a bunch of chinesium screws with my 10 led light fixtures I put up in the basement.
they were so weak they were twisting off even with me predrilling the holes..
using a really weak m12 drill.. wasnt hitting them with the bosch impact etc.

Why would you support the Chinese war machine, buying this garbage?

I know, the options are lousy. COO for hardware is likely nonexistent. I’m sure going to any box store doesn’t get hardware made in the USA (except perhaps spax screws, which are the only screws I’ll buy anymore).

If the bolts weren’t noted with a grade, it’s likely they don’t use the best steel. How do you think HF (or anyplace else for that matter) makes a price point?

Ive also been much more pleased with the quality of hardware and finishes when buying from a real, local hs store, than any box store or even Ace… particularly when buying corrosion resistant or higher grade large fasteners.

you bought garbage, banged on it, and got the result. What else would you expect?!?
I guess if the product is so cheaply made it's not really usable then they should not sell it.

I have a box of these Chinese bolts, I use them all the time for wiring harnesses, timing covers, and other low stress things. Buy nicer bolts if you need more than 10 ft-lb.

I guess if the product is so cheaply made it's not really usable then they should not sell it.
That could be said of so many things... yet so much junk is sold, and seemingly bought by people happy to do so. Happy meals, expensive coffee, cheap junk made in China--take your pick.

Back