Too much oil in the crankcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a change last weekend on my GM 4.3 V6 pickup. The manual calls for 4.5 quarts. I noticed that the level on the dip stick is approximately 1/4 inch higher than the MAX line. Is that enough to cause a problem, or should I drain a little out? thanks

No you should be OK. Most cars can be filled nearly a quart over and be fine. I always overfilled my Mazda3 by .5 quarts since new. It says 4.5quarts I dump in 5. More oil, mo better.
55.gif

mine calls for like 4.5 but i dump in 5 and call it a day.

if you start to get little air bubbles on your dipstick or oil foam then you need to drain some out.

Some engines such as MB E430 are sensitive to overflow even 1/4 qt of the 8.5 quart sump, but most other can tolerate up to 1/2-1 quart overflow.

It's these kind of comments on BITOG that make me scratch my head. I'm not aware of anything good that can happen by over-filling the crankcase, transmission, differential, grease fittings or transfer case...just bad things. In fact, every owner's manual that I've ever read stated specifically to not over-fill with lubricant any of the equipment on a vehicle. This even seems to be a greater concern for the manufacturer than under-filling, because they don't even mention that.

So why all the anecdotal evidence that it's OK, good practice and good to go by BITOGer's?

thomasew - How much did you drain out [get it all?], and how much did you put back in? How about the filter [which holds oil]?
Dipsticks are not NASA certified, in any event.

A little over is not ideal, but is no real cause for concern.

I let what was in the oil pan drain out good, I got all of it I'm sure. I put on a Mobil filter, which is a small one, but it is the one that matches an AC PF47. I had two jugs to refill the motor with, a QS 5w30, and a Mobil 1 5w30. I measured out 3 qts QS and 1.5 on the Mobil 1 jug. I had some of both, and I was doing a little blending (why, I don't know, just wanted to I guess). Thought it was something to try. I am pretty sure I measured it correctly by the marks on the jugs, although, the marks on the jugs may not be perfect either.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
It's these kind of comments on BITOG that make me scratch my head. I'm not aware of anything good that can happen by over-filling the crankcase, transmission, differential, grease fittings or transfer case...just bad things. In fact, every owner's manual that I've ever read stated specifically to not over-fill with lubricant any of the equipment on a vehicle. This even seems to be a greater concern for the manufacturer than under-filling, because they don't even mention that.

So why all the anecdotal evidence that it's OK, good practice and good to go by BITOGer's?

I agree. I tried to under-fill about 1/2 to 1/4 quarts when I filled my engines to about 1-2mm below the max line.

1/4 inch over full on this engine will not hurt. No need to drain it. For future use you can use the PF52, PF3980 size filters. There a little bigger than the one you used. If you want to.

I aim for the max line when I fill, but if I overshoot by a quarter quart I'm not concerned with it and don't drain the excess out. In the crankcase of my Toyota, the tolerance for an overfill is probably higher than that, I just tend to be accurate within about that amount.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Some engines such as MB E430 are sensitive to overflow even 1/4 qt of the 8.5 quart sump, but most other can tolerate up to 1/2-1 quart overflow.

Throw the E320 v6 in there too with it's identical 8.5 qt. sump. I put in 8 quarts of GC 0w-30 and still had room to go on the dipstick and I left it.

I've put 5 qts in my 4.5 qt Aerostar for thirteen years and 172K.
I've put 5 qts in my 4.5 qt '99 Accord for eleven years and 130K.
I'm still waiting for the dire consequences.
As mechtech posted, dipsticks are far from a perfect gauge.
As long as no part of the crank is churning through the oil in the sump, there is no problem.
A slight overfill is the least of my concerns.

i find it hard to beleive that an engine is sensative to 1/4qt extra because you'll never get 100% of the oil out so the total crankcase volume could easily vary by 1/4qt just due to the oil stuck to the parts.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17

i find it hard to believe that an engine is sensitive to 1/4qt extra because you'll never get 100% of the oil out so the total crankcase volume could easily vary by 1/4qt just due to the oil stuck to the parts.

I understand your point. One time I put in 8.5 quarts of M1 0W40 and 8 oz of VSOT, the level on the dipstick is just a hair over the max line, when I check the oil level on the multi-function display it said "oil level too high - drain some oil". I did not bother to remove the extra oil, a month or two later the level went down to the max line and the same complaint was on multi-function display. Only at near the end of OCI when the oil level went down to a hair below the max line, it said "oil level Okay".

After that one time, I never put in more than 8 1/4 quarts of oil (additive included) in that engine again.

I understand your point. One time I put in 8.5 quarts of M1 0W40 and 8 oz of VSOT, the level on the dipstick is just a hair over the max line, when I check the oil level on the multi-function display it said "oil level too high - drain some oil". I did not bother to remove the extra oil, a month or two later the level went down to the max line and the same complaint was on multi-function display. Only at near the end of OCI when the oil level went down to a hair below the max line, it said "oil level Okay".

After that one time, I never put in more than 8 1/4 quarts of oil (additive included) in that engine again.

interesting. you sure you got all of the old oil out (for the most part)?

You never get ALL the oil out nor can you. My CX7 factory manual states the "dry fill" is 6.7 quarts and the refill is "approximately" 6 quarts. I now put 5.75 quarts in and it is at the full line. When I did put the 6 quarts in, the level was about 3/8 inch above the full mark and I did not drain the excess. My dipstick on this and other vehicles I remember used a Max & min oil level marks and anything between the two is good.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My dipstick on this and other vehicles I remember used a Max & min oil level marks and anything between the two is good.

Sort of. Better to be closer to max than closer to min. Sump sizes these days are already small, and that difference between the two marks means more oil to circulate and to lube, clean, and hold gunk in suspension. I don't wait for mine to get close to the low mark before I add. If I check it and its below the full line, I add enough to bring it to full. If I go overshoot a bit, no big deal. I'd rather be a tad over the full mark than a tad over the low mark.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back