Too good to be true? $600 2002 Jetta...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

As to "Should I buy.." SOMEONE said "it would be entertaining."

33.gif

"It would be entertaining" as in entertaining to us, not you. It would probably be a financial disaster for you, as would a $1K Jaguar.

Nevermind though...just buy it.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

As to "Should I buy.." SOMEONE said "it would be entertaining."

33.gif

"It would be entertaining" as in entertaining to us, not you. It would probably be a financial disaster for you, as would a $1K Jaguar.

Nevermind though...just buy it.

For sure you don't see too many Jaguars on the road, I know they had issues.

I think I am best served getting the Blazer right! Instead of parting with it.

Not sure what to do now. Not with the Blazer showing signs of wanting to work right, if its issues are really a sensor, a leaky/clogged exhaust and a little TLC in tune..... with select parts form junkyards like fan shroud, or EBay, and radiator supports, etc..

Just because it mostly works doesn't mean it's good. You don't really know what's wrong with it yet. It could be that a few hundred dollars worth of work on an exhaust system and tune-up stuff makes it a good truck.

What happens if you replace the exhaust system that's trying to kill you but it turns out to need a PCM or a CPI spider to get it through emissions? And then maybe a lower ball joint breaks on the road, bends the control arm and rams the tire into the fender (tearing the brake hose) at highway speed?

You have to make a decision. Either do what you have to do to restore the truck or just functional enough to get you back and forth to work as cheaply as possible until you replace it.

It's difficult because you don't know the real condition of the vehicle. You also have your current investment giving you an irrational push towards wanting to fix it. Other options show up and you're tempted to jump at them.

What you really need is someone who really knows cars to look the thing over, evaluate it's overall condition, and consider your financial situation to help guide you.

Do you have no father or uncle or bowling buddy or old high school friend or any other such person who can do this for you?

Little secret: I may be inheriting a 2000 or 2001 Pontiac Bonneville soon. it too is messed up in some ways.
wink.gif

So what will be the plan for this one ?

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Little secret: I may be inheriting a 2000 or 2001 Pontiac Bonneville soon. it too is messed up in some ways.
wink.gif

Well it doesn't have a timing belt but I'm sure he'll love it to death in no time flat regardless
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do you ever answer questions that you're being asked?

As to the timing, my biggest fear is loosening distributor cap to turn it. I had screws fall out once doing this. I may buy my own light and try it, though.. As much as my focus will permit me to. I am sure I could get enough resolve to do it. One question I have is do they mean turning the distributor CAP; vs turning the distributor itself.

You should be afraid. The cap is not the distributor. There should be a much bigger bolt... about a 1/2 inch head... that turns the whole darn dizzy.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do you ever answer questions that you're being asked?

As to the timing, my biggest fear is loosening distributor cap to turn it. I had screws fall out once doing this. I may buy my own light and try it, though.. As much as my focus will permit me to. I am sure I could get enough resolve to do it. One question I have is do they mean turning the distributor CAP; vs turning the distributor itself.

You should be afraid. The cap is not the distributor. There should be a much bigger bolt... about a 1/2 inch head... that turns the whole darn dizzy.

Will look like this (mark a reference point before you loosen that bolt

mxiga071aro_gm_intake_manifold.jpg

I've been reading GHT's postings on and off for quite some time now, and see him banging his head on the wall many, many times over.

The kid has good heart but having a tough time learning to wise up, heed some good advise by posters here (some posters here do not have good intentions to begin with, just a casual poster with a hollow, loud mouth).

While I must say that my heart goes towards GHT, I also have concerns RE: how he's gonna learn to become wiser (more mature/intelligence) on things, not just automobiles, but life in-general.

I chose not to post/contribute but to observe....and hopefully, there will be moments in time where I can put in some valuable contributions that would make him "wise" up...

Tough life, ma friend. We shall try to help you navigate through obstacles in life but for the most part: you have to learn and mature yourself.

Good luck! listen to some of the good poster's advice and learn to control your urge and learn to have patience as well. You'll be wiser than you think.

Lastly: control your urge not to throw money on things you don't need/you have no need for, and save up money first. Life shall remain on a rather said cycle if you don't have sufficient monetary funding and proper mental support to bring you out and onto the next level.

Q.

p.s. I had my moments in the past and gladly I'm over that already.

Originally Posted By: cmorr
wink.gif

Well. IF it comes to fruition, (likely just will take time,) I would want to 1. Get its gas gauge fixed and then 2. Come to love its brakes system? (trouble spot for it IIRC) and 3. Get to know its flaws.

3800 Series II is a great engine, I just dont know what is "up" with the car. Unknown. But will use.. Then will have the two cars (Blazer/Bonneville.)

It sure felt strong and fast wen I was in it!

Debating "water cleaning through brake booster" the Blazer at sunrise, so as not to mess it up at night, though I likely could. Let it idle half hour then use boiling water?

Who knows.. I may even use normal Supertech 5W-30 oil.
shocked.gif
(I know it was a 10W-40 car. non-synthetic.)

For the love of god. Give the blazer to a good home that will get it right and keep it right. All this pour water here, mystery fluid there ect ect. Do not put water in the intake . Yes It can work but it should be done by someone who has a reasonable amount of skill and luck! You have awful luck. Now luck is made so that is part of your problem. Let's figure out why the blazer is messed up list all the things it needs to be reliable. I don't care about the gas gauge not working or silly stuff, just the important must haves to run and be safe. And people on here can tell you how to properly take care of it.
When your mind runs a million miles an hour very few clear thought out thoughts come out. Slow down and take one obstacle at a time.

Then will have the two cars (Blazer/Bonneville.)

The last thing you need is two cars. Lay out a plan for one and then to transition to the other, and determine if it makes sense.

Paying insurance on two cars is expensive, and minimum insurance is irresponsible and borderline criminal.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The last thing you need is two cars. Lay out a plan for one and then to transition to the other, and determine if it makes sense.

Paying insurance on two cars is expensive, and minimum insurance is irresponsible and borderline criminal.

I hear you.. please allow me to explain: IF I inherit (?) the 2001 Bonneville, it would be for free, and I am almost sure the caveat is that the Blazer gets to sit in a yard, OR they will try to talk me into getting rid of it.

My ultimate goal is a Volvo and the truck. Maybe sell Bonneville... I don't know, it is still in talking phases.

I decided not to contact a guy that said he was interested in a trade of the Blazer. Yes, the Blazer is a mess. But we see it becoming workable, if the right things are done... And even if the engine has something internal (We. Do. Not. KNOW!) then it still runs well and it still runs. If it were to stop running, with that freak one-time starter thing (???) if that were to happen with regularity.. Well, I junked two cars in three months, effectively.

Not prepared to junk a third.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Does the 3800 of that era have the infamous LIM gasket issue, or was that just the 3100?

Yep, I'm replacing a set tomorrow in a 3.8 2004 LeSabre.
Problems ended with Gen III 3.8 in 2005 IIRC.

Joe

I hear you.. please allow me to explain: IF I inherit (?) the 2001 Bonneville, it would be for free, and I am almost sure the caveat is that the Blazer gets to sit in a yard, OR they will try to talk me into getting rid of it.

My ultimate goal is a Volvo and the truck. Maybe sell Bonneville... I don't know, it is still in talking phases.

I decided not to contact a guy that said he was interested in a trade of the Blazer. Yes, the Blazer is a mess. But we see it becoming workable, if the right things are done... And even if the engine has something internal (We. Do. Not. KNOW!) then it still runs well and it still runs. If it were to stop running, with that freak one-time starter thing (???) if that were to happen with regularity.. Well, I junked two cars in three months, effectively.

Your goal needs to be a single, reliable car. Not multiple money pits!!!

If the Bonnie runs decently, get rid of everything else and start working on your finances before throwing away more $$$...

Sheesh...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

If the Bonnie runs decently, get rid of everything else and start working on your finances before throwing away more $$$...

Sheesh...

Seriously, listen to this advice. You really need to find someone that you respect who can show you how to make better financial decisions. Otherwise you're going to be throwing money away and in the same position you're in now, forever.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Sheesh...

+1 if someone gives you a car because they feel sorry for you and figure you need a ride to work, selling it immediately is going to annoy them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back