Todays Dexcool pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today an elderly gentleman came to our shop driving an 03 Buick Lesabre.

Car had 28,000 miles on it and has only been maintained at the dealer untill today when he rolled into our shop.

Of course I cant say 100% that the cooling system has not been contaminated but since he only goes to the dealer and they only use Dexcool IMO I believe it's safe to say it has not been contaminated.

Heres what we found. The cooling system was not low.
0319091058.jpg

Originally Posted By: Johnny
What kind of chemicals do you use to flush that kind of stuff out?

We have a flushing machine that uses water with bursts of air to get the stuff out. I have never been able to get a Dexcool disaster 100% clean but have had good luck with unplugging heaters with it.

The radiator neck had a coating much like the radiator cap does.

The dealer recomended us to him. They do not have a flushing machine.

Chris, are you familiar with BG Products? My Ford dealer uses one of their flushing machines. Puts in their cleaner and runs it through the system, then back flushes the system. When they start to put in the new coolant they at some kind of BG coolant conditioner.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Chris, are you familiar with BG Products? My Ford dealer uses one of their flushing machines. Puts in their cleaner and runs it through the system, then back flushes the system. When they start to put in the new coolant they at some kind of BG coolant conditioner.
I've heard of BG but never used their stuff.

Just more evidence of Dexcool's inferiority, don't see anyone posting these images from an engine using G-05, do you? Hoping to receive my Dexcool lawsuit settlement check any day now. I'd like to see a survey of repair shops' experience with Dexcool -- now that would be enlightening.

BTW, is anyone else having trouble finding Xerex G-05?

Yep, the stuff is hard to find. I've resorted to the local John Deere dealer. Doesn't say G05 on the jug (they call it coolgard, I think), but some investigation reveals that it is in fact green-dyed G05. Cost me $12.50/gal.

They also have pre-mix in 2 1/2 gal. jugs. Didn't get a price.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
What shop do you work in?

If the question was addressed to me, I don't work at a shop. I just maintain a fleet of trucks for a private company.

The only place I regularly find G-05 is at Napa. I mention that I appreciate them carrying it every time I purchase it, and the response is almost always "we hear that a lot". They carry the full line of Valvoline Anti-freezes, as well as a few others.

I'll note that not all the other Napa's here carry it - those owned by one particular company only carry the Napa branded All Makes - All Models version in full strength and 50-50. O'Reilly / Checker does not carry it, and I didn't look at Advance the last time I was in there.

I guess I'm lucky. I had a 2001 Buick LeSabre that had a small intake manifold gasket water leak that was repaired under warranty. The heater worked fine, it never over heated and any time I looked in the radiator I only saw shiny clean metal. For the 80,000 miles I had it it gave me no DexCool problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
My coolant overflow tank on my 99 LeSabre is stained from Dex-Cool. Even with all-makes Dexclone in there it still has traces of orange from the decayed Dex flushed out last summer.

30k miles later and no problems. Yet.

I just flushed my '05' Blazer with 28k on the clock, the radiator cap had beginning signs of sludge indicated in the topic pic and the resivoir also had dexcrap slime in it. I replaced it with Peak Global Lifetime and may do another flush after a full year service to keep the heater core and water pump gunk-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back