Today 25 APR 2024 is ANZAC day.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
BITOG has members in Australia, and many people across the globe have directly, or indirectly had the opportunity to experience life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness from the sacrifices of the Aussies and Kiwis.

Lest we forget.

An exert from the AP:
April 25 is the date in 1915 when the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps landed on the beaches of Gallipoli, in northwest Turkey, in an ill-fated campaign that was the soldiers’ first combat of World War I.

Albanese trekked to the memorial in the town of Isurava over two days with Papua New Guinea Prime Minister James Marape. Isurava was the site of a major battle where United States and Australian troops fought the Japanese in August 1942.

“Those who enlisted for the Second World War grew up in an Australia scarred by the memory of the first,” Nine Network reported Albanese telling the gathering.

“Anzac Day has never asked us to exalt in the glories of war. Anzac Day asks us to stand against the erosion of time and to hold on to their names,” Albanese added.

439849228_10228699484450414_8606272746850254248_n.jpg
anzac-day.jpg

Thanks for that GON. I never heard of ANZAC.
Seriously, with all the great and infamous dates in history, I wish they'd dump "Milkshake Day" and other such fluff and populate a calendar with dates such as the one you just posted.

Plus, a little education to more fully understand what happened and why wouldn't be a bad addition.

Back