Titanium Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titanium – Titanium is a newer, more environmentally friendly anti-wear additive being implemented due to more stringent emissions regulations, and is phasing out older, harmful phosphorous compounds such as ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate). ZDDP reduces the effectiveness of the catalysts in catalytic converters by creating a plating effect when combusted, and covering the catalyst. Titanium chemically binds to wear surfaces creating a hard, Titanium based oxide layer which reduces friction, thereby reducing wear. Concentration levels vary greatly depending on oil brand. Oil brands currently high in Titanium concentrations include Castrol Edge with Titanium.

from an earlier post. Why hasn't its usage become more prevalent ? Just curious

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Kendall uses it also.

As does Mobil Super 5000

Castrol and Kendall are the main users of Ti. Mobil Super line up did use it, not sure if they switched back to the boron and moly in the whole line up.

The newest VOA of mobil super line up from PQIA showed no more Ti in MS... I'm curious to see if the switched to a Ca/Mo additive package again recently.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/mobilsuper.htm

I know titanium metal has gotten cheaper by about 3X some 10 years ago because of technical breakthroughs in processing. Maybe this translates to titanium-containing products as well.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Kendall uses it also.

As does Mobil Super 5000

Really?? I didn't know that but it makes sense. My Legend has performed at its best with both of these oils. I guess it just likes titanium.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Ti is a cheaper alternative to moly consequently in higher end oils moly is used, never Ti.

Castrol's top Edge FST line uses Ti.

I have no idea how much titanium costs but Edge FST runs very quiet in our KIA, a brand rather known for somewhat noisy engines. Have no idea if its the titanium or not though.

Originally Posted By: volk06

The newest VOA of mobil super line up from PQIA showed no more Ti in MS... I'm curious to see if the switched to a Ca/Mo additive package again recently.

That VOA is for Super Synthetic, not sure the regular Super line has the same add pack or not. Recent UOA's of Super posted on here still had Ti in them, don't know how fresh the oil was.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

That VOA is for Super Synthetic, not sure the regular Super line has the same add pack or not. Recent UOA's of Super posted on here still had Ti in them, don't know how fresh the oil was.

That is correct KCJeep, that VOA is for Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil Super 5k still has Ti in the add pack and is an outstanding lube. (My favorite conventional;)

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

That is correct KCJeep, that VOA is for Mobil Super Synthetic, Mobil Super 5k still has Ti in the add pack and is an outstanding lube. (My favorite conventional;)

Chubbs do you have a VOA or UOA of a fresh batch of MS5K to prove this 100%? When I did VOAs of bouth MSS and MS5K 1.5 years ago when they came out with the super line up, they BOTH had a sodium/Ti additive though out the whole line up. There have been a few uoa that claim to be UOA of MS5k that look very similar to that VOA of this MSS respectfully. Like I said, I'm curious to see if they changed the whole line up or just MSS to meet DEXOS1.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
The Mobil Super Synthetic shines with the 255 ppm of Boron. Everything else is ho-hum.

It also has a good amount of Moly still, and with the 81ppm I'd think it is the newer trinuclear moly. Now if only O'Reilly would have it on sale once in a while, I'd bite.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Probably cost.

How expensive is Ti?
Seems the consumer industry-wide move away from Phosphates has to do with it's increasing demand in agriculture, and not so much the alleged "environmental impacts" IMO. The phosphate industry is super profitable and in very high demand for agriculture. Ti on the other hand sounds exotic in the consumer realm, but soap, cosmetics and many other products that require an 'opaque white' colouring all have TiO2 in them for instance. I'm not convinced that it's an improvement more than part of a economisation strategy. Anyone else see that?

Tier 1 oils (Euro) still use generous concentration of phosphorous as the anti-wear additive. Makes me question the efficacy of titanium in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back