Tires for a 2007 Ford Focus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW1

Guys,

Looking for a tire recommendation for a 2007 Focus. It's my daughter's car and she just got home for winter break. Here in Washington, we're looking at mostly wet roads and the chance of some snow. It would be nice to find some quieter tires because the Focus has almost no sound insulation.

Her current tires are Toyo's that she got from Les Schwab. I looked at them this morning and they have about 1/32" tread. Good God! I stuck a penny in and there was a good gap above Lincoln's head. The tire pressure was also at 26 lbs instead of the recommended 32.

It's also headed to the dealership this afternoon. She tells me that her "Check Engine Light" has been on for about two months. The oil was last changed 6 months/ 9,000 miles ago with Motorcraft SynBlend. I have a jug of PU 5W-20 ready for it. Heaven knows what other maintenance it needs.

does she drive spirited or granny? somewhere inbetween?

I'm going to assume it has the 15" rims and 195/60r15's
good on a budget choices T rated
Hankook 727's ~~75-80$

yokohama TRZ ~~80$

kumho kr22's 80$

you could also get something like michelin primacy's or goodyear comfortred but those start about 125$ each

if you want a higher speed rated tire.
I'd jump to a conti dws.. amazing tire but somewhat soft vs other tires in its category(plenty not soft vs t-rated)

Also you probably dont need to mention this but if shes newish to driving.. remind her that new tire dont handle like tires with 1/32 of tread.. ie it will be more squishy/squirmy

I recommended specific models for a reason.. if they try to sell you something like a hankook 425A.. thats one of the [censored] tires out there. etc.

I also tried to pick good winter all season tires.
some other models are marginal at best in winter.

Last edited:
I was going to say Hankooks also. My dad has them on his Focus wagon and loves them--very grippy, even in the winter. He doesn't switch over to winter tires and we have a real winter here, but no problems. Also, I believe he has well over 50,000 miles on his current set and they still look great.

While my '07 Focus has the 16" wheel option, I can agree with you on your statement about that generation Focus having absolutely no soundproofing! It must have thin glass, too, since every outside noise comes through.

Let me finish your sentence...

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Nitto Neogen

looks like a bad winter tire, and is hard to find.

General AltaMax HP.....rated very high at TireRack.

I bought a set about two years ago......and couldn't ask for a better tire.....and they are very reasonably priced as well.

If you purchase at TireRack....you should get them in two or three days. TireRack provides excellent service.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Let me finish your sentence...

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Nitto Neogen

looks like a bad winter tire, and is hard to find.

Perhaps Artistic License is not your strong suit.

I ran threw two sets on a Honda Prelude in any winter conditions that Virginia could muster.

I found them to be economical and easily obtained at my local tire store.

Cheers, Jim

Don't buy Hankooks. The set I had wore out at 22K and the aliegnment was fine, air pressure was checked every month, and rotation was done twice a year. I now have Coopers on and they are doing better.

Originally Posted By: RW1
Guys,

Looking for a tire recommendation for a 2007 Focus. It's my daughter's car and she just got home for winter break. Here in Washington, we're looking at mostly wet roads and the chance of some snow. It would be nice to find some quieter tires because the Focus has almost no sound insulation.

Her current tires are Toyo's that she got from Les Schwab. I looked at them this morning and they have about 1/32" tread. Good God! I stuck a penny in and there was a good gap above Lincoln's head. The tire pressure was also at 26 lbs instead of the recommended 32.

It's also headed to the dealership this afternoon. She tells me that her "Check Engine Light" has been on for about two months. The oil was last changed 6 months/ 9,000 miles ago with Motorcraft SynBlend. I have a jug of PU 5W-20 ready for it. Heaven knows what other maintenance it needs.

Man, that girl needs to walk home a few times and get with the program re: looking after a vehicle.
Good luck teaching her responsible car maintenance.
Sounds like she likes to ride the horse hard and put it away wet ...

Thanks, all. I will be taking a look at the Hankooks, Yokohamas, and even some Michelins. I want to get them at Discount Tire since I know there is one near where she lives so she will have no excuse to not go in for a rotation.

I don't recall any shops around here selling the Nitto but have heard good things about them.

Kind of surprised that her Toyo's only lasted 22K miles. But then, no air and only rotated twice... It is evenly worn though and all four have to go. The wear bar is part of the tread pattern.

I think most parents of college age daughters will sympathize with me. Great kid, great grades, but vehicle maintenance is not even a remote blip on her radar screen. As much as she needs to learn a lesson, no dad wants to risk their daughter getting stranded on the side of I-5 at night.

If you are looking for a good winter tire, the Continental Extremecontact DWS is fantastic. Tire tread life is a little shorter, but they are smooth, quiet, fantastic in the rain, and supposed to be the best All-Season tire in terms of winter performance3.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Don't buy Hankooks. The set I had wore out at 22K and the aliegnment was fine, air pressure was checked every month, and rotation was done twice a year. I now have Coopers on and they are doing better.

Which hankooks? if they were oem they are junk usually.

need a model.

you said the equivalent of "dont buy honda" I had a bad one.

Rand,

Thanks for the specific tire specifications. Tires keep changing; what was good this year is bad the next. My recent experience has only been with truck/SUV tires so I have no idea what is good in the small car size.

Oh, and in answer to your previous question, she drives "granny style" when I'm riding with her but heaven knows when I'm not around. When I was her age, I was granny with my parent and aggressive on my own.

The Lakewood Ford dealership says that the CEL is due to an air intake valve. They're estimating the repair cost at $495. Not a good thing to happen anytime but especially at this time of year.

Last edited:
[Quote:RW1]
I think most parents of college age daughters will sympathize with me. Great kid, great grades, but vehicle maintenance is not even a remote blip on her radar screen. As much as she needs to learn a lesson, no dad wants to risk their daughter getting stranded on the side of I-5 at night.
I understand completely! We need to "father-ize" our daughters vehicles until they get married. Each time my daughter comes home for a visit, I check out her car and offer my opinion of what she may or may not need. I even take it for a spin.

I have gotten her to check the oil and other fluids while she is away and at least keep me posted on the mileage of the OCI or any noises that she may hear. I'll let her know if she should have something done on the car because I am not there to do the work or, wait til she comes home for a visit.

Her car('06 Mazda3) is similar to the Ford Focus in some areas(certain brake parts and engine displacement) and also lacks sound deadening insulation as does the Focus. Nice smooth drivetrain though!

We put on Hankook Optimo H727's and they're a nice tire without calling much attention to themselves. The price is right and often there is a rebate too. Actually, there are some really nice tires to choose from in this catigory.

From one father to another...Stay with tires that have higher ratings/scores and good customer reviews and you won't go wrong with what ever you choose. And too, stay with reputable places such as Discount Tire(as you mentioned)or online places such as DiscountTireDirect or TireRack, and this will also add to your having a good experience.

Best of luck!
CB

I recently purchased a set of Coopers CS4. Very nice tires for the price. They are very quiet and smooth riding. The only dislike so far is that they are a bit soft, even though they are H rated, as the original Toyos, but are softer then Toyos. It's not a big deal, but I preferred road and steering feedback with Toyos.

Last edited:
I've been happy with the Hankook Optimo H727's that I put on my Elantra a couple months/2500 miles ago. They're quiet, smooth, and handle well on wet, dry and snow covered roads. The price was right and I had stellar service from Discount Tire Direct (plus no shipping or sales tax).

Does the car have 15 or 16 inch wheels? Make sure you price out the tires on discounttiredirectdotcom become you go to America's. They are the same company, and they will price match.

This will be a good tire for her car.

195/60/15 $74.00

Yokohama Avid Touring S

yokpt6.ang.jpg

Thanks Char.

I narrowed the list down to the (195/60-15) Hankook H727, Bridgestone Potenza RE960, and the Yokohama YK580. I also wanted to include the Michelins but that might a bridge too far right now.

I believe the Hankooks are made in China. When I mentioned that too the wife, she made a grimace. That might be a showstopper there. She wants to hear what the salesman has to say.

I think the Bridgestones are US and the Yokohamas are Japanese.

We're headed to Discount Tire in a couple of hours. Thanks again for all the input. We're making our daughter kick in some money on this so she gets to experience the thrill of auto maintenance.

Finklejag,

I'll look again but I don't recall seeing the Yokohama Avid Touring S; only the YK580. But then it's been a chaotic morning with the kids home and I might have been distracted.

Have you tried these tires in the rain? How are they for road noise? Light snow?

I have to say that if I drove that Focus with those Toyos, I would wear ear plugs on the freeway. When you get to your destination and the radio is cranked all the way up, you know the road noise is loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back