Tire Protectants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried quite a few over the years and need suggestions for something that does not sling. Recently tried Meguires Tire Gel but got sling onto paint. Wondering if I am using too much product onto the pad.

Suggestions ?

an old trick is brake fluid...I wouldn't do it myself though. I use Stoners more shine less time aerosol.

Tire dressings/protectans will attract a ton of dust and dirt. I use Pledge on mine. Doesn't look *wet* and gives them more of a natural gloss,and doesn't attract dust and dirt.

I've never been a fan of tire "gels" of any kind. I still have a half gallon of Optimum otpi-bond that I don't know what to do with, not a fan.
I usually use Meguiar's D170 Hyper dressing for tires, water based, dilutable, looks good, no sling and doesn't attract dust/dirt. But I don't really like any super shiny tires.
Although recently I was give some Surf City Beyond Black Tire Pro to try and I really like it. Nice matte dark black finish.

Dupont used to make a tire spray the dried to the touch and repelled water. lasted a long time. I'd like to find a similar product that is dry to the touch so that it does not hold dirt.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
The Meguiar's I posted about is dry to the touch and doesn't collect dirt.

Thanks! I'll try it!

I just tried Turtle Wax Black Tire Coat. It dries and does not collect dust. I put it on my daily driver to see what I think of it. It's been on a week, hasn't collected any dirt/dust, and I've driven through the rain....tires are still shiny. IMO it does kind of give the tires shine that looks "fake"....like plastic. Not sure I like that look, but it is durable.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
I've never been a fan of tire "gels" of any kind. I still have a half gallon of Optimum otpi-bond that I don't know what to do with, not a fan.
I usually use Meguiar's D170 Hyper dressing for tires, water based, dilutable, looks good, no sling and doesn't attract dust/dirt. But I don't really like any super shiny tires.
Although recently I was give some Surf City Beyond Black Tire Pro to try and I really like it. Nice matte dark black finish.

I am a big fan of optimum opti-bond for tires. If the tire has been properly degreased, it lasts a long time. The shine is a bit on the glossy side, but I prefer it.

If you're close to me in CA, I'd love to trade you some other items from my stash of detailing supplies for that 1/2 gal of Opti-bond. PM me.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
The Meguiar's I posted about is dry to the touch and doesn't collect dirt.

Thanks! I'll try it!

You're welcome, I'm sure you will like the results.

I've been using Turtle Wax Wet N Black for years now and the best thing about it is that it does not sling up onto the paint. It doesn't make the tires insanely shiny though, but that's a feature I actually like, as I don't like it when it looks too overdone.

Back in the day before Armor All, Tire Black was the way to go, you painted the tires with this stuff, looked good and lasted
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Another option is Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel. It's put on with a sponge, rather than by aerosol. It's also supposed to be very long lasting. I haven't tried it myself, though.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Another option is Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel. It's put on with a sponge, rather than by aerosol. It's also supposed to be very long lasting. I haven't tried it myself, though.

I've tried this and either I put too much on or it does sling. It is durable though.

He he, well, if everything's going to sling, you'll just have to apply it, then stand back and smell the roses for a while before you drive off.
wink.gif

When I used the tire shines (which I generally don't anymore), I was fortunate enough to be able to put them on in the garage and let the stuff dry for many hours. Of course, that's not even possible for many people.

Originally Posted By: Garak
When I used the tire shines (which I generally don't anymore), I was fortunate enough to be able to put them on in the garage and let the stuff dry for many hours. Of course, that's not even possible for many people.

detail before you go to sleep...problem solved.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Tire dressings/protectans will attract a ton of dust and dirt. I use Pledge on mine. Doesn't look *wet* and gives them more of a natural gloss,and doesn't attract dust and dirt.

I used PLEDGE years ago in the early 90's on two vehicles that I had, and the tires over time, cracked terrably on the sidewalls. I used PLEDGE on the paint and it brought out an acid rain look in the paint of both of the same cars(though shiny!)

Any surface(plactic, vinal, rubber) that I've used PLEDGE on(except wood), started to crack/peel over time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I used PLEDGE years ago in the early 90's on two vehicles that I had, and the tires over time, cracked terrably on the sidewalls. I used PLEDGE on the paint and it brought out an acid rain look in the paint of both of the same cars(though shiny!)

Any surface(plactic, vinal, rubber) that I've used PLEDGE on(except wood), started to crack/peel over time.

I've had that same thing happen to me with Armor All,etc on exterior black plastics and tires. After a good rain,it'd dry rot everything and turn it white. I'd have to keep using it as if the trim had become *addicted* to the protectants per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back