tire inflators at all the gas stations are closed down?

QT has free air, every other station that HAS air is either 2.50 for some pressure that wouldn't fill a balloon or the machines do not work. I have a compressor so it doesn't really matter to me except for this one time about a year ago I picked up a nail between my house and my girls house. I plugged it but needed air. Station 1 I stopped at ate my quarters but didn't give me any air. Station 2 was one of those weak sauce compressors. I think I got 5-6lbs of air the entire 2 minutes or so it ran.

So irritating. Lowes free air noted. Thanks @skyactiv

They're called GAS stations, not SERVICE stations. Stop at a repair shop if you need air.
Really? They started doing more than just selling gas, as long ago as I can remember. What's next, no windshield squeegie buckets, windshield washer fluid or oil for sale, no trash cans, not even beverages in the store?

I can excuse them doing away with car washes since that isn't a critical function, takes up a lot more real estate, and can damage the vehicle, but back in the day I was getting free car washes with every fill up.

I see it as a draw to get and keep customers, having more than just the bare minimum of gas, though it didn't surprise me when most changed to pay air pumps, years ago. It seems reasonable for funding their upkeep and yet, it also seems reasonable to offer amenities like free air to draw customers.

These days, I just figure their broken state is a combination of the younger generation of managers that are apathetic about keeping up with repairs, along with a shortage of maintenance techs during and after covid. At least when they are pay pumps, a customer is more likely to complain when they don't work, so station staff is made aware of that.

Heh, it wouldn't surprise me if these days, there is some app to help find stations with air pumps. Gasbuddy app is supposed to have something like that, but I've never tried looking them up or explored that topic any further.

Are they free? Maybe they're changing over to pay to pump. The Wawa chain of gas and convenience stores has greatly expanded in NJ and they have free air. And sometimes the line for air is 5 cars deep. I bought a little air pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter and works great.

A while back I had a leaky tire that I usually added air via my 60 gallon quincy at home. Anyways, I forgot one day and I was like oh well I'll just stop at the gas station and use one of those pumps. I went to four different gas stations, didn't matter what station it was, everyone had a bag over their inflation station. A year later, I noticed the same thing. These pumps are still blocked off. Why??? Did something happen with these? How is someone supposed to inflate their tires? I keep a 10 gallon portable air tank in my truck at all times, so it's rarely an issue for me. I just think it's weird that every pump in a 20 mile radius is closed off.

Because everything is getting worse (for consumers) all the time. Something something late stage capitalism

I asked the local gas station why they were installing pay air stations and they said it was because of inflation.DOH!Got a tire inflator from Walmart a few years back and it's still going strong.Never fails the first cold snap we have of the season the tire pressure alert comes on.

Reactions: D60
So… 4 equals “all”??

You checked four stations, and didn’t see one, so, it’s “all”?

They are not as common any more. But they are out there. Wawa, as mentioned, has them.

Discount tire will check yours, even if you’re not a customer.

I was with a friend last week and his car needed washer fluid and air in one of the tires. We went to a random Chevron gas station and paid $5.99 for a gallon of washer fluid ($1 more than at the auto parts store, so not a horrible markup) and asked for air. They activated it for free and it worked great. No gas was purchased (he has a Bolt too) but they clearly didn't mind us using it.

So my data point of 1 is only slightly worse than your data point of 4 but I would say that gas stations do still have air and it works well and it's even free if you buy something else and/or ask nicely.

I bought an air pump for all my vehicles on Amazon.

Easy to plug into car outlet and avoid gas stations.

Here in Canada it's the same story.

We used to have several gas stations with free air. The last to offer it was Chevron.
These days if you can find one, they are all pay as you need.

Like others in this thread, I've also resorted to the portable type you plug into the "cigarette lighter".
Works great and gives fantastic pressure, especially when the engine is running.
(y)
Most Canadian Tire still offer free air unless its in a real sketch area.

Costco is free if you are a member. They have compressors by the tire parking usually.

I highly recommend the Milwaukee M18 compressor.
I have 3 vehicles, two tractors and four garden tractors plus a ZTR that I used to have to drive to my stationary air compressor. Now I can just walk to each and it's a quick job.
M18.jpg

Back