Tire Cupping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hav

Hi,
I need an opinion. I have a 2000 Honda Civic. The rear driver side tire has one spot in the tire which is cupped severely. The other side (rear passenger side) seems to be fine. I also had my mechanic do the bounce test and he says the shocks are fine too. What could the problem be. the tires are making a roaring sound due to the cupped tires.
Thanks

3 things without seeing it. Balance is out. Struts ARE worn (3 valves inside, the 1st valve wears and creates cupping but the 2nd and 3rd valve still works) this causes someone too think it's still good. Last is the toe is out in the rear.

Does it really have shocks or struts? How many miles on tires? Do you get them rotated? When was last alignment?

Quite often cupping is due to worn struts and/or strut mounts.

The bounce test is not really valid for struts.

I would have to think a Civic has 4 struts.

First, contrary to what "common knowledge" says about "cupping", this is more an issue with alignment than with bad shocks or bad balance.

Second, alignment machines are only as good as the operator, and in order to find defective parts, you need an experienced alignment tech.

- AND -

I will second the request for photos. But based on the description, it doesn't sound like "cupping" to me. Because of the isolated nature of the wear, it sounds more like a belt-leaving-belt separation (commonly referred to as a "tread separation")

Take this car into a tire shop IMMEDIATELY. I mean TODAY!!!

I also once had a tire that developed a roaring sound and like what Barry said the thread separated at highway speed.

Replace that tire ASAP.

Bad shocks/struts are usually the culprit. I would also check the tire pressure but I doubt that will make a difference. The correct tire pressure is on the driver side door jamb or the owner's manual.
Originally Posted By: Hav
Hi,
I need an opinion. I have a 2000 Honda Civic. The rear driver side tire has one spot in the tire which is cupped severely. The other side (rear passenger side) seems to be fine. I also had my mechanic do the bounce test and he says the shocks are fine too. What could the problem be. the tires are making a roaring sound due to the cupped tires.
Thanks

I doubt it will be the struts. Because there is only one place in the entire tire that is cupped. Here is a picture Its almost 10 sq inches.
Cupping.jpg

I doubt it will be the struts. Because there is only one place in the entire tire that is cupped. Here is a picture Its almost 10 sq inches.
Cupping.jpg

It's still a little hard to tell, but if the flat spot is clear across the face of the tread, then someone locked a brake up.

If it isn't clear across the face of the tread, then it's likely a separation and my advice would be to replace the tire IMMEDIATELY!! I mean TODAY!!

Last edited:
Spin the wheel to see if there is a "hop" in it. The tire or the rim may be out of round? I do this while spinning for balancing. A small amount of variation is normal (little less than1/4 of an inch for most wheels I've seen).
If there is a hop it maybe felt if the wheel is install on the front rather than the rear. I install "bent" rims on the rear axle for my customers and they never complain. I would rather they buy a new rim but most don't care enough to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Cupping.jpg

Geez, Hav, can't you get a better picture than that !!

Try taking the lens cap off ..........

LOL.

This flat spot covers a LARGE area. Even a tire with wear only a professional can feel vibrates like mad.

I have to wonder how often these tires were ever rotated? If one waits to long to rotate you can have wear problems that will never be corrected, noise too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back