Timing Chain and Timing Accessory Replacement Ford 3.5 DOHC V-6

The time chain and water pump issues on this engine have been discussed by here but are a few links to more info on the process. I haven't done the job but maybe folks want to chime in with their experience. I believe these videos are 3.5 twin turbos, but the process is similar for the non turbo models. These videos were made by Ford Tech Makyouloco. I'm still looking for part 2 which I have seen but can't currently find.

First, a good video on getting the front cover off.

A second video showing how to instlall everything.

Putting the engine back together

Last edited:
Here is a slightly different take. I was looking at the parts mentioned in the video, but for a non-turbo transverse 3.5 engine in a 2012 Explorer. Here are some screenshots of what I saw in Rock Auto. My Rock Auto account is set to CDN dollars. Multiply by 0.8 for US dollars. Enjoy.

65380F4B-AFC7-43B4-81A7-92E4178291AE.png5AD37A6B-4C15-43BF-ABF7-133CBE291A44.png3661FA59-830D-4C9C-BD0D-B6DBE4DB50B5.png582231EF-57F0-4D2E-B47F-EC7B83199339.png6409BB4B-45AA-4E8F-8FED-FFAB1A1D3987.png

I did one of these two months ago. Thread with my findings HERE

It was not a hard job by my standards, but several little steps which could cause serious problems if you mess them up. This was my first time inside an ecoboost but I've done OHC timing chains before. Book time was 9.2 hours; I had about eleven hours in the job, including stopping several times to have a drink and stare at the engine, contemplating my next steps. I could do it again in under eight.

As with many automotive repairs, if you feel confident that you can tackle it, you can. If you're hesitant or don't have at least a basic understanding of how these things work, find somebody else to do it.

Will update with a few photos when I get to my iPad at home.

Disassembly. Right before I took the valve covers off; I got moving pretty fast after that.
disassembly.jpg

New timing components installed.

new parts.jpg

new parts 2.jpg

new parts 3.jpg

Parts pile:
parts pile.JPG

parts pile 2.JPG

Cat waiting for lunch:
cat.jpg

All in all it was fairly straightforward. The cam phasers are timed together and installed as a pair, keeping them lined up is probably the most difficult part.

EB engines, change every 5000. Use a robust synthetic with the highest HTHS you can find, and Motorcraft oil filter. Change spark plugs every 35,000 miles.

Strongly consider higher viscosity in warmer locations.

Enjoy 400,000 miles of trouble free engine life.

Back