Timeless lesson

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
365607750_837299727790142_736244653241259501_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to know how students never taught to write in cursive can take notes in college.
Write fast, and take courses that are light on note taking?

I was taught cursive but my note taking is a blend of block and cursive. Few can read it. :) I think it is morphing into mostly block, for some reason when I copy Morse code it is always in uppercase block and it must be migrating over to my other writing.

But these days, at work, my note taking is largely typed. Paper based anything?

I'd like to know how students never taught to write in cursive can take notes in college.
Outstanding question. I am not in college, yet took dozens of pages of notes today. How do younger people capture fast delivered comments into notes without cursive?

Intriguing....

I burned out several nice cross pens in college. We even had prepartory classes on note taking. Sometimes one bright and enterprising student with good penmanship took the job as class scribe. She/he would sell copies of their notes to other students. This allowed the slackers to skip the lectures and still master the subject.

Many classes are taught through presentations that students are allowed to download to their laptops, tablets, phones etc. This lets them take very abbreviated notes for parts that they would need to go over rather than writing out full concepts. Paired with being able to use them to type it's a pretty quick way to notate.

Outstanding question. I am not in college, yet took dozens of pages of notes today. How do younger people capture fast delivered comments into notes without cursive?

Intriguing....
My kids use voice to text. Pretty fast, and accurate. Almost like transcrtiption

I burned out several nice cross pens in college. We even had prepartory classes on note taking. Sometimes one bright and enterprising student with good penmanship took the job as class scribe. She/he would sell copies of their notes to other students. This allowed the slackers to skip the lectures and still master the subject.
We had this at my college where some student(s) just bought the notes from someone who took the class a semester before. They resold them on security paper that could not be copied.

I capture notes in OneNote for my own use. It’s easy and faster than writing. It’s also legible which is key. BTW I graduated high school in 1996, College in 1999 & 2009…

Just my $0.02

How do younger people capture fast delivered comments into notes without cursive?
Equally intriguing question. The time is quickly approaching the possibility of blending cyber space with the brain allowing the instant downloading of data. The amalgam of human evolution and artifical intelligence will make the teaching of actual thinking (skills like critical analysis and cursive note taking) unecessary.

Imagine young animals not having to learn necessary survival skills from their parents.

For us, imagine this

1691626541003.jpg

IMDb

I don't recall using pen much in note taking, too hard to erase. Strangely enough I recently came into possession of a bunch of old school wooden pencils, and a decent electric pencil sharpener, and have not found them annoying.

As an EE you couldn't have paid me to buy someone else's notes--I quickly learned that I learned best by first writing down what went onto the chalkboard/whiteboard. Even if it was verbatim from the book. Although there was one class where I didn't take notes... I'd just read the book the night before... instead I would use the class time for doing homework for other classes and only go when there was a test. Pysch 101 was a bit on the easy side, only way to fail would be to misspell your name on the test I think.

Back