Time vs Mileage ...(Dino oil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do ya think, I've got this 06 Toyota now with 3,100 miles on it. I purchased it new back in Late August 05. I changed out the OE oil at 500 miles with Castrol.
Now with 2,600 miles on the oil it still looks clean (color wise)...but it's 5 months old.

Wait 6 months or the 3000 miles?
dunno.gif

The car sits ALOT!

PS. I just for the first time purchased Havoline, for the change. Usually a Castrol guy.

Welcome Catrol Guy. I am one also
smile.gif

And I also just purchased Havoline and it is not flowing through my cars veins.

My suggestion is to change it no longer than 4 months. Chances are, moisture gets into your oil within this time frame, and you need to get the contaminants out.

Look, you spent a lot of money on that car. It's not like 25.00 or less every 3-4 months of cheap maintanance and cheap insurance for you cars engine is going to break you. If you can't afford that, then you shouldnt be driving an 06 Toyota.

I'll be lambasted here shorty for my suggestion, but I'm sick and tired of people puckering over cost of oil. Cost is very insignificant compared to what you spent on your car, and car is the largest rip off you will ever spend your money on. So take precaution, and just change it as I mentioned with dino, and be done with it.

grbr85 and GoldenRod : I second (third) those comments. I shake my head when I see guys post about buying oil for 50 cents or a buck a quart cheaper than somewhere else; getting a filter for $2 off with a coupon - and then it turns out he's running extended OCIs and changing his oil 3 times a year.

A $20K car and they're all excited about saving $50 or $75 a year in oil and filter costs. Jeez ! Dumb !

Last year I was changing oil/filter essentially once a month (3000 mi per month or so). Doesn't bother me a bit. It's a $6000+ engine I'm trying to protect (chrysler 2.7L V6).

Phil

I drive my truck a lot (about 25,000 miles per year). I change the oil and filter every 2,000 miles. I figure a few extra dollars is worth it. It's a 2003 and it already has over 70,000 miles on it (I bought it in Sept. of '03). I'm going to need to get a lot of miles out of it. In my wife's car, I change it every 3 months which is about 1500 miles. She doesn't drive it much. I use dino oil and I have had very good experience with it. I have issues about going over 3000 miles on oil, even if it is synthetic. Just my 2 cents.

Considering Toyota's reputation when it comes to warranty issues, I'd go with the manufacturer's time recommendation (which I'd guess is 6 months) and keep your receipts.

Hold on fellas, I am one that changes out my oil on a schedule. Usually around the 3k mark on my vehicles that get driven ALOT >(diesel truck).
But guess what I'm getting at is (for instance)...my Corvette only gets driven maybe 4000 miles per year. I'm not going to change that oil every 3 months when the car sits all the time. I change that twice a year.

About the Toyota warrenty comment...I bought this car because my research on Toyota was quite good. Now, I have got a lot of bad feedback from VW and KIA owners about their vehicle warr issues.

Thanks for the feedback.
cool.gif

grbr95 I have Syntec in my Avalanche 5.3 going on 6 months do you think I need to change it? I still need 1,200 miles to hit 3k.

I'm working with someone from Scotland at the moment. She was very surprised to see that car manufacturers recommend the 3 month/3000 mile OCIs here. She's been used to changing the oil once every 10-15k miles (having gone almost 20k on a Mercedes once based on the oil monitor). Of course, this is with ACEA A3-rated synthetics. Do we get lower quality oil on this side of the Atlantic?

In any case, this makes me feel a little better about the 10k OCIs on my VW. I might just change it every 7500-8000 miles anyway because I do a lot of city driving.

grbr95, I'm going to lambast you for your suggestion.

Actually, not really, since of course you have a point. Saving a few dollars is just not worth it to me, either. The issue for me is more the waste. Each hydrocarbon molecule on this earth can only be used so many times, typically once. Every quart of oil I throw away is a quart less that can be used in the future. Who knows if it'll ever really matter, but waste not, want not.

Not to be extreme about it, but at three months you are probably gaining exactly nothing by changing low mileage oil. Six months I can see, although a year is probably just as good from what I've learned here.

My humble opinion.

- Glenn

GoldenRod: Teth bleaching is not considered normal in Europe.
When you go there with your whiter than white smile, people will look at you like you have a disease
smile.gif

va3ux there is nothing "dumb" about shopping around for the best price on oil. If money is no object you should just got to the nearest Kroger grocery store and pay $3.25 a qt for some old dusty bottles of oil that have been sitting on the shelf for 5 years.Obviously since it's not on sale then it should work a whole lot better.I'm sure you pay full price for everything you purchase and never shop for bargains.That would be "dumb."
Goldenrod 6 month OCI's are not "extended" by any stretch of the imagination.My wife's 05 Uplander has the GM OLM. It is used primarily for short trips to work and errands around town. So far it has went to around 5K in 6 months.5K in 6 months is not "extended".Ford and some others recomend 6 months as acceptable OCI's.
Grbr95 where do I start."I'll be lambasted here shorty for my suggestion, but I'm sick and tired of people puckering over cost of oil." If that is the case then you should be running Redline and changing it every weekend. Heck, why not? Nobody would "pucker" over that would they?
Since you brought up the topic of being "sick and tired" of things I've become "sick and tired" of seeing members with 5 digit member numbers tossing out antiquated, uninformed opinions and putting people on "lists" because they don't subscribe to their ideas of how they should take care of their vehicles.You guys would be well served to do a lot more reading and learning and a little less time consulting.

Over the years, as oils have improved, I have gradually moved from 3 months / 3k mi = 5k km (usually time-limited) to 6 months / 3-3.5k mi = 5-6k km (often distance-limited), although I would stretch this to 6 months / 5-6k mi = 8-10k km if we made more long trips on the open road.

With short trips, I figure dino every 6 months is better than synthetic once per year. (Exception: 502.00 synth. every 6 months in the 1.8T.)

6 months works for just about everyone. If it includes higher mileage or severe climate..then you consider a synth.

GoldenRod:

"glennc,

You are now on my list of extended drain fanatics."

Well I've been doing 4k dino/5k synth. But I've been thinking about going to 5k/7.5k.

But I've been thinking about starting a list of people who make lists.

You'll have to make a lot more lists before you can be on it though.

- Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back