Time to build mama a new gaming rig

I have that same case. Looks cool and easy to work internally....until it's time to clean all the dust. Ended screwing in dust filters onto the fan intakes.
FWIW negative air pressure is generally better for dust accumulation and cooling in PCs than positive air pressure, even with filters.

A lot of people think you want positive air pressure because they think it’s analogous to a positive air pressure clean room - not so. No case fan filter works that well. Moreover, filters block so much airflow you have to run the fans faster to achieve a cooling effect.

The way it actually works is like this: faster air carries more particles. Wherever air speeds up, you get less accumulation. Wherever it slows, you get more. With positive air pressure, you’re accelerating dirty air into the case, where it slows and deposits its particles. It’s almost exactly the same way a vacuum cleaner works.

With negative air pressure, you accelerate air from inside the case (where it picks up particles) and push it out (where it slows and deposits). This give an advantage to mitigating dust accumulation while also reducing the need for filters and higher fan speeds.

So, turn those fans around and blow the hot air out of cases.

Looking at some benchmarks, the Ryzen 7800x3d is identical tie at 4K resolution to the Intel 14900K. She runs 4K. The Ryzen has a lead if running at HD.

So, not being a gamer myself, what am I missing?

At 4K, the GPU is the limiting factor, that is why these two CPUs show similar results, despite Ryzen being a stronger CPU.
If 4K is all she plays, then both will do the job about the same.

However, if she will be planning on upgrading the GPU in few years, then a stronger CPU will perform better with a stronger GPU of the future. So that would be my caveat for picking Ryzen over Intel.

Is there a specific game/s she plays? It could be worth finding out benchmarks for these games specifically. Some games use a lot more CPU than others.

Looking at some benchmarks, the Ryzen 7800x3d is identical tie at 4K resolution to the Intel 14900K. She runs 4K. The Ryzen has a lead if running at HD.

So, not being a gamer myself, what am I missing?
  • The 7800X3D has nearly triple the energy efficiency under load.
  • Raw gaming performance is actually better on the 7800X3D when the GPU is not the bottleneck - this means there’s more headroom after upgrading GPU.
  • The AM5 platform will be receiving new CPUs into 2026, meaning drop-in CPU upgrades will be possible without changing motherboards.
  • The 14900k costs more.
This all translates to slightly better performance in the short term and much better value in the long term.

Last edited:
FWIW negative air pressure is generally better for dust accumulation and cooling in PCs than positive air pressure, even with filters.

A lot of people think you want positive air pressure because they think it’s analogous to a positive air pressure clean room - not so. No case fan filter works that well. Moreover, filters block so much airflow you have to run the fans faster to achieve a cooling effect.

The way it actually works is like this: faster air carries more particles. Wherever air speeds up, you get less accumulation. Wherever it slows, you get more. With positive air pressure, you’re accelerating dirty air into the case, where it slows and deposits its particles. It’s almost exactly the same way a vacuum cleaner works.

With negative air pressure, you accelerate air from inside the case (where it picks up particles) and push it out (where it slows and deposits). This give an advantage to mitigating dust accumulation while also reducing the need for filters and higher fan speeds.

So, turn those fans around and blow the hot air out of cases.

Right, that's how the fans should always be setup except in a rare occurrence. The issue with this case is it's completely open; there's no top, bottom, front, or back panel thus there's no specific intake fans with dust filters like most cases. On the other hand, it's wall-mountable and makes an extremely easy work bench.

Right, that's how the fans should always be setup except in a rare occurrence. The issue with this case is it's completely open; there's no top, bottom, front, or back panel thus there's no specific intake fans with dust filters like most cases. On the other hand, it's wall-mountable and makes an extremely easy work bench.
Aah weird.

Aah weird.

Yea I thought I'd like it way more than I do now. 3 months of dust with this was the same as 3 years in my last case.

1706665059732.jpg

Most high end stuff is not "worth it" when it comes to performance per dollar.
But an i9 makes sense if you want a top GPU and top performance for 4k gaming. There is very little reason to skimp on the CPU when the GPU alone cost over $1K.
Exactly the reason to go with the better performing 7800X3D

Exactly the reason to go with the better performing 7800X3D
The more I read, the more I think the 14900K is a better performer for the newest games that can use the additional cores. But as always, the GPU is likely the bottlneck here. Since I've been down pretty hard with shingles, I've not done anything on the computer front.

The more I read, the more I think the 14900K is a better performer for the newest games that can use the additional cores. But as always, the GPU is likely the bottlneck here. Since I've been down pretty hard with shingles, I've not done anything on the computer front.
Doubtful. Cache usually matters more than cores, especially for minimum frame rates.

Doubtful. Cache usually matters more than cores, especially for minimum frame rates.
Again, at 4k, even at 1440p, it doesn't matter, because the GPU is the deciding factor.

And intel is a much more stable platform. You can use faster RAM for example. AMD platform usually tops off at 6000mHz, while the Intel platform can use 7000-7600mHz RAM without much trouble. There is also less chance of incompatibility.

OP likes intel, knows intel and has good experience with Intel, I see no reason not to go with Intel this time as well.

Back