Three oils, side by side. Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
419289_306449746088245_100001696655273_783759_761475520_n.jpg

The blue one is pretty but I'd worry it might be too thin for my cars. I'd be afraid the red one might stop the oil leaks that I consider absolutely essential to a long lived car in my area. The gray one looks a bit drab, but it's the one I'd take home.

Which one did you pick?

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
My choice would be the full synthetic.

Good price for it, ya?

Me, myself, i would go with Blue first choice (lubricity) then consider the Red.

My logic: We have two variatons on basic motor oil.. 1. Synthetic, and 2. High Mileage. Now, it seems that Synthetic is usually not "needed" in most apps the same way CATERHAM says thick oil is not needed. So, that leads me to High Mileage.. seems maybe the blue might be the way to go? ? ?

Thoughts?

EDIT: yonyon, I actually went against my own logic and got just a quart of Full Synthetic ST 10W-30 (not 5W-30) since its all they had on the shelf. Topped her up and she runs a-smoothly. The Full Synth is good stuff!
thumbsup2.gif

Next time, im selecting Blue.

I would have spent the extra .30 and gotten the jug of QSUD 5w30. And then sent in the rebate (if that is still going on) and gotten the 5 quart jug for about $3.

Which is what I did last month.

Originally Posted By: johnachak

+1

why

I'd go for the far right as well, though I'm sure the other two are perfectly serviceable oils.

Smart choice to make the high mileage bottle red just like Valvoline HM, and the syn a silver one like Mobil and Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
I would have spent the extra .30 and gotten the jug of QSUD 5w30. And then sent in the rebate (if that is still going on) and gotten the 5 quart jug for about $3.

Which is what I did last month.
I agree - but my answer would be it all depends on what the engine is and what type of driving and intended oci I intend to do.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I'd scroll over and choose an off the pic jug.

Yeah i noticed the three Supertechs were next to each other, so I captured the 1. type of jug 2. grades 3. prices.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
What are you putting it in?

Its the 03 Envoy XL, 146,000+ miles. I really want to go with the 0W-20.

If I am unsuccessful in my argument, its going to get whatever "bulk oil 10W-40" is over at the shop.
sick.gif

I topped it up ST full synth 10W-30 (5W-30? I forget) and, both being thinner than whatever 10W-40 is in there.. feels better. Also the 10W-40 is conventional not synth.

By the way: Thermostat is done, engine at 192 degrees.. and it feels better, noticeable, than when it was overcooled at ~160 due to failsafe failed (open) Stat.

Remember.. this truck gets "turn key and go." Every time...

Same here since both of my cars are V8s and run in a desert environment.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP

+1

why
Why Not??

Pan right a bit, and capture the jugs of QSUD at $20.57.
That's what I'd buy.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
Originally Posted By: 45ACP

+1

why
Why Not??

why not = Why?

More cost?
Is it REALLY needed?

I ask again... why?

And is it just me or do the two on the right look like WPP bottles and the one on the left looks like XOM?

Ive never seen WPP ST 5W-20 jugs. Never.

That many miles? Whatever I can get that is cheap Dino.
I don't think 0W-20 is good choice for that motor, let alone any GM motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back