Thoughts on this new Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are just big mean bullets.

I'm going to draw little happy smiley faces on my Golden Saber bullet's, so no one will be scared or offended.

Like this ->
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
After watching the videos, there was nothing there but marketing fluff. Pistols running full auto and water balloons. The gelatin they were using "looked" more watery/softer than the gelatin I've seen in other tests. They also didn't state how or if it was calibrated.

You can tell it's a gimmick with the tiny blocks of gel. If it worked so well they would have been showing blocks that could capture and showcase all the destruction.

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
Looks awesome. It reminds me of the old black talon ammo. It is now banned and this will probably never make it to market. If you like that ammo check out DRT Dynamic Research Technology.

Do you have a link to the statutes which banned Black Talons?

I know for sure they are not banned in my state either by name or by design (JHP). Forgive me for being too lazy to check the other 49 states and various political subdivisions.

Last edited:
They are certainly going to be expensive. There is a box for auction right now on Gunbroker. It's up to $242 + shipping with more than a day remaining. I bet this box goes for $20/ROUND!

Originally Posted By: strat81
Looks awesome. It reminds me of the old black talon ammo. It is now banned and this will probably never make it to market. If you like that ammo check out DRT Dynamic Research Technology.

I know for sure they are not banned in my state either by name or by design (JHP). Forgive me for being too lazy to check the other 49 states and various political subdivisions.

It's not banned.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: strat81

It's not banned.

I know.
wink.gif

CCI stingers are way more effective on roos and foxes than their non separable counterparts, so I wouldn't discount the concept, but I also saw a doco years ago on gan fights using them, and one guy copped one (stinger) in the liver, and lasted a long long time before he worked out he was fataly wounded.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
CCI stingers are way more effective on roos and foxes than their non separable counterparts, so I wouldn't discount the concept, but I also saw a doco years ago on gan fights using them, and one guy copped one (stinger) in the liver, and lasted a long long time before he worked out he was fataly wounded.

Don't stingers also have much more energy and velocity than standard 22? If so, the comparison is not perfect. Clearly, both of those play a role in performance.

Slightly off topic, I had a box of WW-II 45ACP and a friend crono'd a few rounds out of a 1911, the reason we did this is because I swear it was louder and had more recoil. The few he shot were around 930 FPS. A bit better than today's generic ball ammo. No wonder it was effective back then.

Last edited:
I vaguely recall an article/report that the BT ammo didn't slice and dice as a person would believe it would. But it was still a quality round. It's still available under another name (that I can't remember at this time.)

As for this new whizz-bang ammo, I wouldn't buy it until all actual shooting reports report that it's as whizz-bang as they say it is.

SGammo has this on their site in 9mm. They are listed as "available soon" but have a price listed of $44.95 for 20 rounds (plus shipping), so ~$2.25 per round

Its a gimmick. Bullets don't need to be pointy and sharp.

Fragmenting rounds are not new ideas. If they worked great the police would be using them.

If it fragments you won't get the penetration you need. It will be more likely to wound someone and kill them days later.

I'll stick with federal HST.

Though I'm not a big fan of The Truth About Guns, they seem to be the first ones who have gotten their hands on this ammo and done some independent testing on it:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02...sting-phase-one

The deal breaker: It resulted in a fail to feed after 5 rounds. This was one of the big questions about the ammo. Will the serrations result in feeding problems? The answer: Yes. Additionally, this was in a GLOCK 19, a fairly ubiquitous handgun that isn't know for being picky about what ammo it will eat. Imagine how well a carry-sized second or third tier Kel-Tec or Bersa will feed it.

The article also raised a lot of questions about the validity of the testing methodology described in the marketing materials. In gel, it didn't do poorly, but it certainly didn't live up to the claims that it will “take out all the vital organs” or that will “change the ballistics industry”.

In a bit of cuteness, the author was able to replicate the fragmentation and penetration of the round in gel... using .22 LR.

Bottom line: There are plenty of other defense rounds that perform better at a fraction of the cost and don't cause feeding issues. If you want fragmentation, get a .22 LR segmented hollow point.

100% Gimmick ammo. I hope nobody even considers buying this garbage. The sharp points brake off and penetrate 5 inches while whats left of the bullet brakes off and penetrates 13 inches. Not to mention the big problem with feeding reliability. The number one reason for picking an ammo in the first place is that it is 100% reliable.

The big three loads are the Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST, and Winchester Ranger T (Bonded or not) Pick any one of these three and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back