This Socket Set Any Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read the reviews? It's made in Taiwan which isn't bad, but I think you could get a better set elsewhere.

How many pieces do you need and do you need SAE and Metric?

Regards, JC.

Made in Taiwan lesser quality than wrenches made in the United States. And did you read the reviews they gave it one star. I wouldn't buy it probably can find something better elsewhere.

Here is one of the reviews that caught my eye.

Ax Murderer says:
JH Williams is a subsidiary of Snap On Tools. Snap On Tools was looking for a maker of quality Industrial tools and bought JH Williams to fill the bill. Some JH Williams tools are now being made in Taiwan; however users report that the quality remains unchanged, and is the same as their tools made in the States.

Check out what Americans have to say about JH Williams tools:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-Snapon-am...000000002187205

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86167

Originally Posted By: alex3686
Made in Taiwan lesser quality than wrenches made in the United States. And did you read the reviews they gave it one star. I wouldn't buy it probably can find something better elsewhere.

I read the reviews. All i see is a couple of guys PO'd because they didn't get a Snap-On socket set for $28 bucks.
33.gif

For the money, I think you would be better off getting a set from AA or AZ. When it breaks - it will break - the replacement will be much easier.

You should take a look at Armstrong, Wright, and SK. I know they are more money but well worth it.

Unless you're a mechanic for a living, just get Craftsman, Kobalt, Stanley, SK or even Harbor Freight chinese cheapo's - they'll all do the job if you have the right tool. My Craftsman wrenches and sockets have lasted 40 years with fairly heavy race car use for about 20 years. Had to rebuild a ratchet or two. Wore out a few torque wrenches. That tool set pictured seemed pricey for just a few sockets. Even Costco has a nice tool set for the money.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
My Craftsman wrenches and sockets have lasted 40 years with fairly heavy race car use for about 20 years.

They were good quality tools back then and a good buy. They are in no way related to the cheap Chinese trash Craftsman sells today.

Head over to Garage Journal and your head will explode (in a good way) because of all the tool info.

Crash course on Williams:

-Williams really is a subsidiary of Snap-on. It's a brand aimed at industrial customers, mostly.
(Link to the Snap-on industrial brands website)

-Williams has two tools lines, an imported line and a USA-made line. Most tools are available in both a USA made version and an imported version.

-Want to know if an item is USA made or imported? Look in the online version of the catalog, by following this link. The USA made items are clearly marked. If it's not marked as made in the USA, it's imported.

-The USA-made tools generally even have a Snap-on date code.

-The USA-made, 36-tooth Williams ratchets use the mechanism Snap-on ratchets used to use before they went to 80 tooth.

-Williams offers a line of round head, 72-tooth ratchets that are made in the USA and a good deal from some sources.

-The imported tools are mostly made in Taiwan. They're also usually identical to the same Blue Point tool, except the Williams version is considerably cheaper. If you compare the set listed by the OP to Blue Point tools, you'll see they're identical.

The best retailer I know for Williams tools is Tools Delivered. They have good prices and fair shipping, from my experience. They post on Garage Journal. They also list the country of origin for the tools they sell, which is important to me.

Originally Posted By: Trav
My Craftsman wrenches and sockets have lasted 40 years with fairly heavy race car use for about 20 years.

They were good quality tools back then and a good buy. They are in no way related to the cheap Chinese trash Craftsman sells today.

Yeah, maybe their quality has slipped - but they still have a lifetime guarantee. I'd take my chances they'd last forever with the casual backyard mechanic. Here's a nice looking basic set:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-56-pi...mp;blockType=G6

There are two levels of quality with Williams tools:

1. Made in USA
2. Made in Taiwan

The Williams USA are exponentially better.

Yeah, maybe their quality has slipped - but they still have a lifetime guarantee. I'd take my chances they'd last forever with the casual backyard mechanic.

I wouldn't pay extra to get Craftsman made in China tools. You may as well shop HF, at least they pass the made in China savings on to you.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Yeah, maybe their quality has slipped - but they still have a lifetime guarantee. I'd take my chances they'd last forever with the casual backyard mechanic.

I wouldn't pay extra to get Craftsman made in China tools. You may as well shop HF, at least they pass the made in China savings on to you.

The new Craftsman ratchet doesn't come close to the HF Snap-On Taiwan made copy. I don't buy HF for other reasons but their plastic, extendible 1/2" and Snap- On copy ratchets are pretty good and made in Taiwan.
I have used them and liked them but still wont buy them or recommend them. Its not an anti Taiwan thing they are slowly becoming first world but a HF as a company thing.

I bought this set of sockets from Harbor freight and used a 20 pct coupon as well on it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piece-saemetric-go-thru-socket-set-67974.html

When I went to use one of the sockets it was too large to fit into the wrench. Since I live in Canada, I just used a dremel to make the socket a little smaller. The principle of the design is good, but the quality of the tool is very poor. I figured I wouldn't be back in the US anytime soon and that they may not honor the exchange. I also figured what if the replacement set had more than one socket that was too large????

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
I have no idea i don't buy their tools. Like i said i used a few of their ratchets and they were okay but you wont find me defending or promoting anything HF.

I have also tried the new Craftsman and they were definitely junk. Sloppy mechanism, skipping and jumping gears, reversing under pressure and a poor finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back