This is the type of oil filter test I'd like to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
http://www.prime-mover.org/Engines/OilFilt.html

But with all the popular automotive oil filters instead. Why can't anyone out there do tests like this? I guess it's really expensive.
frown.gif

Agreed. So many questions...

I'd like to better understand the tests themselves, and if there's anything compulsory about reporting. Are companies who use SAE results in marketing required to provide complete reports or is reporting left to their own discretion? We should contact someone at SAE for information.

I browsed SAE's site last week. It appears the test suites are only sold to members. They do show pricing for barrels of "test oil" though. Only $550 US each. Does the multipass J806 require continual fresh test oil? Let's see, 15hr runs at 3GPM... 2700 Gallons... That'd be ~$27K/filter
freak2.gif
grin.gif

Do we have any active members from the filtration industry?

David

I'm hoping we're going to get some soon! I did search on filtration and found some institute (SWI I believe) that does all kinds of research and has online electronic brochures on their studies. One such study was on filtration. I emailed them and mentioned this site too. Hopefully the brochures aren't too costly, as I'd really like to read up on their findings.

Hi from Montreal,

For the benefit of everyone, SAE Test were conceived to replicate the working conditions of automotive filters in a laboratory.

They were conceived so that comparative testing could be performed and test results compared apples to apples. Filters manufacturers are SAE members and they all contributed to the devellopment of SAE automotive filter testings protocols and procedures.

The SAE J806 Multi Pass test does not supply fresh oil. The test fluid(oil) is fresh to start but contaminants are added at a prescribe rate and the whole fluid is circulated in a close loop through the filter. The test is terminated just before the relief valve start to open.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

Rob

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
Agreed. So many questions...

I'd like to better understand the tests themselves, and if there's anything compulsory about reporting. Are companies who use SAE results in marketing required to provide complete reports or is reporting left to their own discretion? We should contact someone at SAE for information.

I browsed SAE's site last week. It appears the test suites are only sold to members. They do show pricing for barrels of "test oil" though. Only $550 US each. Does the multipass J806 require continual fresh test oil? Let's see, 15hr runs at 3GPM... 2700 Gallons... That'd be ~$27K/filter
freak2.gif
grin.gif

Do we have any active members from the filtration industry?

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back