This is sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girl's agonising death 'preventable'

THE death of a seven-year-old girl who was stung on the legs and chest by a box jellyfish near Bamaga on Cape York Peninsula was swift.

She died within minutes of running screaming from the waters of Umagico Beach and collapsing in front of her parents after being stung by Chironex fleckeri, described as the world's most venomous animal.

"The pain is horrific, it's like being put into boiling oil," said Lisa-ann Gershwin, the national marine stinger adviser with Surf Life Saving Australia.

"She lost consciousness very, very quickly, which was probably a good thing. It reduced her suffering."

Dr Gershwin said that in cases of severe stings death occurred so quickly that treatment could not be accessed in time.

"What we see in these horrific cases is it takes about three minutes to die and about 20 minutes to get the anti-venom.

"The message is not to get stung. This is an absolute tragedy, because it's 100 per cent preventable if she had been wearing protective clothing.

"Surf Life Saving recommends a full body Lycra body suit but she could have worn her own pyjamas.

"If there had been any type of barrier between her skin and the jellyfish tentacles, this would not have happened."

Dr Gershwin said box jellyfish were prevalent from November to May in waters from Gladstone in Queensland, across the Top End and down to Exmouth in Western Australia.

She said about 70 people had died from box jellyfish stings in Australia since records were first kept in 1884.

But research published in the latest Medical Journal of Australia found most box jellyfish stings were not life-threatening.

"We have a lot to learn about what causes a fatal sting and what doesn't," Dr Gershwin said.

There's been a spate of shark sightings/attacks lately, which has left people forgetful of the other deadly things in Oz's waters (box jellyfish, blue ringed octopus, stonefish).

When we heard this story, my father in law stated that he picked up a jellyfish that was beached and went to throw it back in...turned out to be a box jellyfish.

Reckons that he would gladly have cut his fingers off to stop the pain (and that was only a small sting on his fingers, from a half dried out jellyfish.

Interestingly, vinegar applied straight away will kill the stingers, and reduce the severity of the sting (not much help if you dive into one 'though).

white vineagar is a neutralizing agent, but you still need the antidote ASAP. I would not even consider getting into australian waters without a jug of it handy for "just in case" usage.

Jellies are nasty. I got stung in the Mediterranean, in the North Sea, in the Baltic and in the Atlantic. Those weren't the lethal kind and I can only image how those would hurt! By the way, against many jelly stings, human urine works wonders. You'll find out who your real friends are in such a situation.
tongue.gif

Shark attacks seem up, too, lately. Not only at the US East and West coast, but also Downunder. As I say, each time you enter the ocean, you enter the food chain as less than the top predator. Lately I'm really creeped out by our murky shark-infested waters. Often enough something brushes against me while I swim in the ocean. Creepy!

A surfer off San Diego, during the big storm surf had the experience of a life time last week. A killer whale swam right up to him, took a good look and swam away. A local news station caught the killer whale on tape, but because of the distance missed the surfer. The surfer said he was terrified at first because he thought it was a great white. When he figured out it was a killer whale, he said he wasn't afraid any more. I guess he was right.

Is it just me, or does Australia have a disproportionate number of critters that can kill you?

Here in North America we seem to have so few (thankfully). Mostly we have to worry about our fellow 'citizens' here.

Matt89,
Try to get hold of the Billy Connolly sketch where he arrives in Australia and finds all the lethal things here.

We live in funnell web area, which is part of the reason that I tolerate cats...they eat them.

In Cedro's point, Trinidad, I seen these "purple condoms" washed up on the beach and not thinking I rolled one over with my left big toe and took a picture of it...
...rolling it over?....big mistake!
I cannot believe how my toe and part of the sole of my foot started to burrrrrn for about 20 minutes.

The local fishermen were having a good laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back