This is ACTUALLY why the L&N doesn’t stop here any more…

It’s because my dad steals their stuff (or did). LoL.

Title is an obvious allusion to a classic folk song (Cash didn’t write it, but he made it big), I always loved the Michelle Schocked version from the late ‘80s:

But the reason it came up today is the inner tie-rod removal tool was slipping and not working so I fetched this serious wrench out of one of the tool cabinets (kicked it in one whack with the hammer). Then I noticed the engraving. LoL.

My dad was an apprentice and then machinst at the Louisville Roundhouse from ‘65 to ‘69. So I know where he got it. ;). The L&N don’t stop here any more because they got tired of my dad stealing their tools.

47E25072-E206-49E7-8FD6-24206B59C608.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a mini version of that wrench from my Dad's tool box. It's not the same quality but it is similar in its look. I'll have to dig it up.

I have a mini version of that wrench from my Dad's tool box. It's not the same quality but it is similar in its look. I'll have to dig it up.

I think the brand on that is Diamond, it’s on the handle and I looked but now I can’t recall exactly. The horseshoe and diamond in the picture back that up. Apparently they were big, early hand-tool manufacturers and still have a presense as Swanstrom (just googled that, I’m not an expert on this).

It holds the dialed diameter extremely well, and with that and a 2lb maul you can break anything loose. LoL, it just occured to me my dad’s mauls are so old and unique, they probably came from the same place. ;) I’ll take some pics of them tomorrow as we need to try to press out/in some trailing arm bushings on the rear of the car before the alignment…

C6E92EFD-B766-47B9-968B-34120C50EA43.jpg

I've got a sledgehammer marked with the initials of the AT&SF Ry., better known as the Santa Fe which is now part of BNSF. No other identification on it though, so I don't know who made it.

I've got a sledgehammer marked with the initials of the AT&SF Ry., better known as the Santa Fe which is now part of BNSF. No other identification on it though, so I don't know who made it.
Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. Always liked that name.

My maternal grandfather was a long-time engineer for the Southern. I read a lot of railroad history & such as a kid. Even incorporated some into a thesis in college (Florida East Coast RR and development of south Florida).

Back