[Third party] Volkswagen’s car tracking firm demanded $150 to renew expired subscription to help police locate stolen car with abducted boy inside.

A detective reportedly explained the gravity of the situation to Volkswagen’s representative, to no avail. In the 30 minutes it took to make the credit card payment

Why didn't the detective just pay with a credit right then and get reimbursed later? And I'm guessing the operator has no control of the payment and can't activate the tracking unless the system sees it paid up.

and possibly extortion too :unsure:
yup.. I agree.. also private companies can refuse to work with law enforcement but if law enforcement had proof that the boy was in the vehicle and the company wouldn't help.. The District Attorney might be talking to that company. But most companies if presented this info of a present danger (like kidnapping) would worry about the cost incurred later! Just wow.. I'm all for privacy but there are exceptions like this instance!

Not justifying what happened at all, but the third-party company probably has heard loads of sob stories and assumed the cops calling were fakes just giving them another sob story to get free service. It's possible. If someone calls you and says he/she is with X police agency and wants you to give them a free something, are you necessarily going to believe them right off?

Not justifying what happened at all, but the third-party company probably has heard loads of sob stories and assumed the cops calling were fakes just giving them another sob story to get free service. It's possible. If someone calls you and says he/she is with X police agency and wants you to give them a free something, are you necessarily going to believe them right off?
No, that's a really good point! What credentials did the officers offer the company besides saying they're the police.. prove it..

No, that's a really good point! What credentials did the officers offer the company besides saying they're the police.. prove it..
I watch a lot of bodycam cop vids on YouTube and mostly when they’re doing insurance verifications they just call that insurance company’s 1-800 number and be like this is officer abc with xyz police dept can you verify insurance coverage on this vehicle with vin 1234 drivers license abcdef. So you have a valid point.

Back