Thinner oils and higher wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Originally Posted By: fourside
The "motor will outlast the rest of the car" thing doesn't apply here in California where we don't use road salt. Every car I know of that family or friends have gotten rid of due to problems were having mechanical problems, not problems with the structure of the car crumbling.

At any rate, I've had numerous cars that call for 5w-20 or 0w-20, I always run 0w-20 in all of them, and I've put on hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems with the motors. In fact, some of those were amongst the best-running and most reliable cars I've had. I don't believe I even had oil consumption issues with... any of them, come to think of it.

If a car car is designed to run on thin oil, give it thin oil. It will be fine. My newest Honda's L15B motor is actually designed to run on 0w-20 and even thinner - we're talking about stuff that may very well be 0w-7.5. I'll be doing a UOA on that in a month or so, and I'm not expecting to see anything scary.

America's average engine age is of what 12-15 years old? You're talking about new engines, that are allowed to run thinner oil specially beause of better filtration and the requisite to use a better base oil at least semisyn (see Dexos1 and 2), that won't make as much carbon and soot.
And,
Could you garantee that a one grade up on the thicker side oil wouldn't give a longer life to newer engines?

The problem with this argument is that it always ends up with a lot of people asking questions like yours above. No, I cannot guarantee that thicker oil wouldn't give an engine a longer life. No, you cannot guarantee that thinner oils will give an engine a shorter life. So where's this debate supposed to go?

The average ave of a vehicle on the road is 11-12 year old... at least the last time I was doing research on consumer behavior.

I would go ahead and guarantee that a "grade up" would have no statistically significant increase in engine longevity... as there is about a few dozen other variables that would play into the lifespan before a grade difference of a decent API would even come into the equation. However, there is a statistically significant difference in fuel economy.

The link is hogwash... at what point would an "thicker oil" be more effective for fuel economy due to wear? 200K? 300K? And could it function at that level of wear for another 200-300K to make up for the economy bump of the lower weight. It just smells of bad research and insufficient claims. Folks get up in arms about CAFE and oil choice but at the end of the day, the US is still far behind and basically dead-last on fuel economy regulations.

I have seen quite a few 20W spec'ed cars puffing lots of blue smoke out tailpipes lately. Namely Acuras, Hondas, Lexus. Maybe they ignored OCI, or used cheap oil....dunno. Is it empirical evidence? No. But I am of the mind that the 20W oil is necessary for the OEM to meet CAFE requirements and save THEM $$$. Once you are out of your warranty - you are on your own.

By your UOAs I see you run mostly on perfectly paved highways using full synthetic oil, in a FFv vehicle. Come with your truck to city driving and rural areas and you'll start to see engine lifetime problems, much sooner to get preocupation. You're seeing from your cruiser standpoint, as you don't have problems, so anybody else will ever have ... You don't have carbon deposits in you flex fuel engine, an E85 ready, so nobody will also?
So, there are instances that a little more precaution is a valid measure.
You are stretching here quite a bit. First of all, while there are some long trips on my FX4, about 45% of those miles were towing, which I do not consider cruising. Next, my FX4 also sees city miles and idling in traffic, just like others do--ever been in Houston during rush hour(s)? Well, I have at least 5 days a week. Next, I ran conventional oil as well so I have seen both sides of the coin and if there were a 0W-20 in conventional I would run it to see how it performs. I also run full synthetic because I am doing 15K miles OCIs--not many here do that. Lastly, what does E85 have to do with this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
I have seen quite a few 20W spec'ed cars puffing lots of blue smoke out tailpipes lately. Namely Acuras, Hondas, Lexus. Maybe they ignored OCI, or used cheap oil....dunno. Is it empirical evidence? No. But I am of the mind that the 20W oil is necessary for the OEM to meet CAFE requirements and save THEM $$$. Once you are out of your warranty - you are on your own.

I haven't noticed this, but I have noticed several few-year-old Euro cars puffing out blue smoke - namely BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. I don't think we can really deduce much by what we see in cars driven by people who likely have no idea what they're doing with maintenance.

Last edited:
So the engine HAS to die with the car in 15 years?

You know, there are places where they don't use salt at roads in the winter also. And corrosion isn't abbreviationg their frame lifes.

What about million miles cars?

Those who are aspiring to such goals or live under such conditions certainly have the freedom to make some changes. No one is forced into an oil choice. They may be coerced, there may be a strong suggestion, but it is a choice.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Maybe a bypass filter in gasoline engines should be OEM equipment, just to play on the safe side?
On the safe side of what? This seems to be a solution for a non-existent problem.

Not yet, anyway. If 0w8 and 0w12 become prevalent, I can see a need for bypass filtering to filter particles that may be bigger than the MOFT.

The "motor will outlast the rest of the car" thing doesn't apply here in California where we don't use road salt. Every car I know of that family or friends have gotten rid of due to problems were having mechanical problems, not problems with the structure of the car crumbling.

At any rate, I've had numerous cars that call for 5w-20 or 0w-20, I always run 0w-20 in all of them, and I've put on hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems with the motors. In fact, some of those were amongst the best-running and most reliable cars I've had. I don't believe I even had oil consumption issues with... any of them, come to think of it.

If a car car is designed to run on thin oil, give it thin oil. It will be fine. My newest Honda's L15B motor is actually designed to run on 0w-20 and even thinner - we're talking about stuff that may very well be 0w-7.5. I'll be doing a UOA on that in a month or so, and I'm not expecting to see anything scary.

Do you have any articles for the engine designed to run on super thin oil?

I haven't noticed this, but I have noticed several few-year-old Euro cars puffing out blue smoke - namely BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. I don't think we can really deduce much by what we see in cars driven by people who likely have no idea what they're doing with maintenance.

Thank you!
01.gif

What about million miles cars?

Most have one if not multiple engine rebuilds. Million-mile vehicles are more about a willingness to rebuild more than the lubricant used.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Maybe a bypass filter in gasoline engines should be OEM equipment, just to play on the safe side?
On the safe side of what? This seems to be a solution for a non-existent problem.
Not yet, anyway. If 0w8 and 0w12 become prevalent, I can see a need for bypass filtering to filter particles that may be bigger than the MOFT.
Agreed; and I would hazard to guess this will be engineered into those vehicles. The OP seems to suggest this is needed on gasoline cars today and there are simply too many without them for this to be a necessity--an option, perhaps, but not neccesary.

For sure Brigadier is seeing things. I never noticed any of the 20wt spec'd cars puffing smoke. Honda, Toyota, Ford, and others. My engines use no oil in the 10K OCIs I do. Pontual is trolling with this one.
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
Don't wanna get into this but every two days new tread about high oil consumption on a fairly new, low mileage Japanese and American cars using ILSAC oil pops up.

Originally Posted By: tig1

For sure Brigadier is seeing things. I never noticed any of the 20wt spec'd cars puffing smoke. Honda, Toyota, Ford, and others. My engines use no oil in the 10K OCIs I do. Pontual is trolling with this one.
Trolling.gif

So, you are calling me a liar? Nice. Great forum we have here. Full of pompous [censored] that think they know it all. Makes people wanna hang around more.

I don't agree with this either. And since it is just a perception and "man-on-the-street" observation, I'll go as far to say I haven't noticed it at all, not one "20W spec'ed cars puffing lots of blue smoke out tailpipes lately".

Rarely do I ever see it actually.

I have noticed that on a thicker oil - T6 or Delo Synth 5W40, the engine in my Colorado which is spec'd for GM6094M 5W30, is much quieter at start up, especially the DOHC chain tensioner. I know that can't be, right? I am hearing things too?

I have noticed that on a thicker oil - T6 or Delo Synth 5W40, the engine in my Colorado which is spec'd for GM6094M 5W30, is much quieter at start up, especially the DOHC chain tensioner. I know that can't be, right? I am hearing things too?

You're certainly not a liar just because you've noticed 0w20-spec'd cars puffing blue smoke - the comment that you must be seeing things was surely a joke. That said, the main problem is just that we can't really learn much from looking at the average person's tailpipe. It has to be assumed that most of them don't really know how to take care of their cars regardless of what the manufacturer specifies. I've seen every type of car spec'd for a wide range of oils puffing blue smoke - it just doesn't tell me much.

Also, ironically, my car in the US is spec'd for 0w-20, and the ultra-thin JDM "0w-7.5" (estimated) stuff I put in it recently is actually running a little quieter/smoother if I must say. I'll be doing a UOA next month and we'll see how much damage I've done.
blush.gif

Last edited:

You're certainly not a liar just because you've noticed 0w20-spec'd cars puffing blue smoke - the comment that you must be seeing things was surely a joke. That said, the main problem is just that we can't really learn much from looking at the average person's tailpipe. It has to be assumed that most of them don't really know how to take care of their cars regardless of what the manufacturer specifies. I've seen every type of car spec'd for a wide range of oils puffing blue smoke - it just doesn't tell me much.

Also, ironically, my car in the US is spec'd for 0w-20, and the ultra-thin JDM "0w-7.5" (estimated) stuff I put in it recently is actually running a little quieter/smoother if I must say. I'll be doing a UOA next month and we'll see how much damage I've done.
blush.gif

Well, if I misread someone's post, I apologize.

I do know that seeing blue smoke out of a tailpipe doesn't necessarily prove anything, which I indicated in my post. But, I was just struck on how many of these late model Japanese 20W spec'ed cars were doing this.

For startup wear, lower viscoisty is better. For high speed driving or conditions where fuel dilution is an issue, a higher viscosity may be preferred. It really depends on the engine/driving situation and quality of the oil.

Many of these new 0w20's are using top notch base oils and additives so despite the lower viscosity, they are actually able to contain wear very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back