Thinking of buying a 2016 Miata mx5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife just totaled our 2017 VW golf sportwagon and I'm thinking of scratching my roadster itch with a 2016 Miata MX-5 grand touring with 12,000 miles. It will be a automatic with a softop. Not thrilled about either of these options but I like paddle shifters so I'll get some enjoyment out of it. Don't know much about the newer Mazda's, hoping maybe we have some owners here or maybe a Mazda tech to chime in on overall long term reliability and so forth. Thanks.

I'd be going the other way and get her a big Tahoe or something where she won't get hurt if she totals it again.

You might wanna see if the recall was performed.
Paddle shifters are a marketing ploy. You will quickly forget about them.

Quote from Consumers Reports: "Sprinting to highway speed is more enjoyable when you work the short, stubby shifter and effortless clutch. And although an automatic is available, the only proper choice is the manual transmission, a keen indication of the quality of the Miata's shifter."

Other than the recall only on the automatic MX-5's, the car is recommended and reliable according to Consumers Reports.
Don't look at HP. It is light and does a 0-60 under 7 seconds.

POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)
Feb 01 2019
If the vehicle abruptly downshifts, the driver may lose control of the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
You might wanna see if the recall was performed.
Paddle shifters are a marketing ploy. You will quickly forget about them.

Quote from Consumers Reports: "Sprinting to highway speed is more enjoyable when you work the short, stubby shifter and effortless clutch. And although an automatic is available, the only proper choice is the manual transmission, a keen indication of the quality of the Miata's shifter."

Other than the recall only on the automatic MX-5's, the car is recommended and reliable according to Consumers Reports.
Don't look at HP. It is light and does a 0-60 under 7 seconds.

POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)
Feb 01 2019
If the vehicle abruptly downshifts, the driver may lose control of the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

Thanks I'll check when I go for a test drive tomorrow.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Lots of Miata mx5's wait and get a stick and the options you won't regret it.

Wife wants a auto🤮, I'm not against it as long as they have a reliable unit.

Automatic Miata?
09.gif

The SkyActiv automatic also has a manual shift option similar to Tiptronic. I've only used it a few times. The sports mode will also help in accelerating.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Gebo
Is it made in Japan?

Yes.

01.gif

I found the tiptronic in the skyactiv automatic to be bleh. It's too slow to upshift so I only ever used it to downshift. If it was a dual clutch then I think it would be cool.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'd be going the other way and get her a big Tahoe or something where she won't get hurt if she totals it again.

You turning in a Sammy safety says it safe old man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back