Think we'll ever see this at a Cadillac plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me a break... "master craftsman" I'm suprised they didn't pull out a big magnifying glass for the pic.

This is all well and good but until they build something with some personality, I don't care how well built or how tight the quality control is, I won't be purchasing. I looked at an IS350 when I was looking for a car. I ended up with a 2007 S60R simply because it was "fun." The numbers between the two cars were similar as far as perfomance goes, and yes, the interior of the Lexus seemed screwed together well, but the driving dynamics (or lack thereof- I prefer my fillings IN my mouth instead of getting knocked out) just weren't there. My Volvo won't be the most reliable car on the road but it'll be a small price to pay (Maybe a BIG price to pay) for something fun and interesting...

"Think we'll ever see this at a Cadillac plant?"

Cadillac's Lansing Grand River Plant

On page 2:

Quote:

At LGR, there is a three-level hierarchy of assembly teams. On the line, workstations are designed around a team of five members including the team leader. Each is trained to do the tasks of one another, and these tasks are rotated every two hours during the shift. The leader fills a utility role, stepping in to replace workers during breaks or absences or to help out if there is a kink. The next tier is groups of five teams, and the group leader is trained to step in as a replacement for any of the team leaders.

The top layer is the shift, wherein the shift leader oversees the group leaders, and can replace any one of them. The teamwork crosses shift lines. It is hard to imagine in an American plant, but the first shift doesn't go home until members shake hands with the incoming second shift.

Before Lansing Grand River got under way - start-up was mid-2001, with the first new CTS officially produced November 12 - training was extensive. Two to three hundred employees were sent to Eisenach for two weeks. Each of the roughly 1500 employees received from 300 to 800 hours' instruction before starting at the new plant.

JD Power :

Quote:

The plant, which produces the Cadillac CTS, ranks third in the world overall and highest among nearly 100 assembly plants in North and South America...

There is no doubt that Lexus, and the plants where they are built, are among the absolute best. But lets give Cadillac/GM some credit for their achievement!
cheers.gif

LOL! Collectivism vs individualism at play...

No doubt that GeeAmm and Ford trying hard to get to the same level playing field like the Japanese as far as quality's concerned but the lack of "transarency" between hierarchys, beancounter's consistent "low-balling" on materials, ball joints, etc. will still comes back to haunt them over and over....until they straighten these problems up...

No doubt that both parties are working hard but hey! Let's give them all an applause, shall we?

Q.

Quote:

This is all well and good but until they build something with some personality, I don't care how well built or how tight the quality control is, I won't be purchasing. I looked at an IS350 when I was looking for a car. I ended up with a 2007 S60R simply because it was "fun." . . .

I did roughly the same thing the last two times around. The Lexus was as exhilarating on the road as a washing machine, but an absolutely perfect washing machine. The R is not quite as flawless, but has exclusivity, personality, is a rush to drive, and doesn't jostle my kidneys like a BMW M.

I trust you bought the MT.

Quote:

beancounter's consistent "low-balling" on materials, ball joints, etc.

Actually, it was Toyota who recently had to do a massive recall of ball joints on pickups. Remember, they have bean counters too...

No plant is going to say "yeah, we slack off and cut corners."

There was an undercover news story a couple years back about employees smoking weed on their breaks at the plant that produced my parents' Ranger. They still managed to do a pretty good job assembling the truck. It is five years old and people still think it is new. No rattles or anything. Imagine what they could do sober...watch out Lexus.
tounge2.gif

Quote:

I did roughly the same thing the last two times around. The Lexus was as exhilarating on the road as a washing machine, but an absolutely perfect washing machine. The R is not quite as flawless, but has exclusivity, personality, is a rush to drive, and doesn't jostle my kidneys like a BMW M.

I trust you bought the MT.

Yes sir, a manual transmission, no navigation but otherwise everything. A sweet ride- especially with $15k off MSRP with all the incentives and discounts, something I couldn't get close to on the Lexus. Even without the discounts, however, I'd still prefer the Volvo...!

You kidding me!!! You are lucky if the Metalica T-Shirt the GM worker is wearing from 1988 actualy covers his belly!If his panths are not showing more crack then a plumber that is also a plus. I was a contract worker and had to actualy meet dress code standards since I had no Union to protect me. I never understood how someone makeing $24+ per hour+ full benifitts and pension could have so little pride inthemselfs and their work!I even press my jeans and keep my running shoes cleaned and shined. My boots are shinny enough to comb my hair in. A can of polish is cheap and my iron did not set me back much money either. My point is that no one with such little respect for themselfs and missing any sence of worth or pride is going to exercise even if it is at work. They are too busy trying to stick it to their employeers every chance they get and being misserable!So no I do not think we would ever see this type of attitude at a plant in the USA unless you started with a clean slate.

Quote:

Quote:

beancounter's consistent "low-balling" on materials, ball joints, etc.

Actually, it was Toyota who recently had to do a massive recall of ball joints on pickups. Remember, they have bean counters too...

No plant is going to say "yeah, we slack off and cut corners."

There was an undercover news story a couple years back about employees smoking weed on their breaks at the plant that produced my parents' Ranger. They still managed to do a pretty good job assembling the truck. It is five years old and people still think it is new. No rattles or anything. Imagine what they could do sober...watch out Lexus.
tounge2.gif

I must have had the weed-smoking guys assembling my 1987 Ranger.
cheers.gif
It was a real pizzacrapp and I haven't owned a Ford since.

How many Tundra owners complain that the rear doors in the Extended cab don't seal wind and rain out of the cabin? Will the master tech's be able to find & correct this error as well?

Where are Tundra's assembled?

I doubt they're wrenched together on that Lexus line outside Tokyo.

Quote:

You kidding me!!! You are lucky if the Metalica T-Shirt the GM worker is wearing from 1988 actualy covers his belly!If his panths are not showing more crack then a plumber that is also a plus. I was a contract worker and had to actualy meet dress code standards since I had no Union to protect me. I never understood how someone makeing $24+ per hour+ full benifitts and pension could have so little pride inthemselfs and their work!I even press my jeans and keep my running shoes cleaned and shined. My boots are shinny enough to comb my hair in. A can of polish is cheap and my iron did not set me back much money either. My point is that no one with such little respect for themselfs and missing any sence of worth or pride is going to exercise even if it is at work. They are too busy trying to stick it to their employeers every chance they get and being misserable!So no I do not think we would ever see this type of attitude at a plant in the USA unless you started with a clean slate.

Statements like this are why autoworkers want to stick it to the management. Are you saying that you think a worker in a factory that is hot and dirty should be dressing up before going to work? Sorry but when I was working in a GM plant I wore what was comfortable. Who do you have to impress when you're bolting up car parts? I guess everyone on the line should wear a shirt and tie?

Quote:

Quote:

Japs didn't know how do quality work until the American show them how.

I guess you have not seen nor heard of the Katana sword have you? How about a ceremonial geisha robe? How ignorant and I must say, racist your post is.

I don't see how that post was racist. Whenever somebody comments about the flawless Japanese they are racist? Too many crybabies here.
usa2.gif
patriot.gif

Now, mind-sets are on the monetary circulation? Now, they specifying eight hours of mind-sets. Hmm... I guess I found Toyota's so oftenly mentioned personality problem. Still we have another problem: Do buyers buy the personality or "buys with" their personality in exchange of the car's. Or, can personality be bought.

"The alignment of a car when parts are put together has been perfected to such a degree that when a Lexus driver lets go of the steering wheel at 62 mph for about 100 yards, the car will veer just 10 inches" Like my Chevy? They are kidding. Cheap advertisement this is. They didn't bought people's mind-sets for this I hope, then I'd feel guilty. I'd rather prefer an orange 70's VW bus that if you let go the steering, if ever it is at 62 you can return to the same town than reading bought mind-sets somewhere.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back