There is some disposable income in Southlake,TX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
What I am saying is that today's boom towns are tomorrow's bust towns. Any locale that tries, artificially, to make itself more attractive than others will eventually suffer the pitfalls associated with that approach. Anyone else here has lived in the DFW area since the 70's, or even the 80's knows what I am talking about.

I'm not grasping what you mean by this sentence.... "Any locale that tries, artificially, to make itself more attractive than others will eventually suffer the pitfalls associated with that approach."

It means that by creating an environment that encourages too rapid growth you ultimately end up with what we are seeing; heavy traffic, poor state services, inadequate education funding, and eventually a crumbling infrastructure.

Just wait and see. This "cheap" place is already becoming more expensive. I spend $100 on toll roads for my monthly commuting. I have lived here since the 70's and it takes more than a bunch of stores and restaurants to have quality of life.

I guess I'm just saying that there are too many people here now and it's too congested. The area doesn't lend itself well to mass transit, we are starting to run low on water resources across the area, our electrical grid is becoming inadequate, and what appealed to me about this area 38 years ago has been ruined by too much growth happening too quickly.

What happens at the tail end of all this? Sooner or later people get tired of the mess and move on to the next region they'll ruin. The ones who can't afford to move end up stuck.

What I mean by "artificial" is the tax abatements, no state income tax, lighter regulatory structure, and a pro-business climate. So, what happens is that companies and people come here in droves and then find that the state isn't prepared to offer services to keep up with the growth.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
I have a friend that lives in a gated community in Southlake in a 9000 sq ft behemoth of a house that is only $750k. The home across the street went up for sale and the only people that looked at it played for the Mavericks and Rangers.

The lowest price home in Southlake north of 8k sq ft is $1.5 million. At one point it was listed for $3 mill. Looks like an athlete owned it and left it, may have been a foreclosure. Link:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhome...68-38305?row=13

I guess I'm just saying that there are too many people here now and it's too congested. The area doesn't lend itself well to mass transit, we are starting to run low on water resources across the area, our electrical grid is becoming inadequate, and what appealed to me about this area 38 years ago has been ruined by too much growth happening too quickly.

What happens at the tail end of all this? Sooner or later people get tired of the mess and move on to the next region they'll ruin. The ones who can't afford to move end up stuck.

What I mean by "artificial" is the tax abatements, no state income tax, lighter regulatory structure, and a pro-business climate. So, what happens is that companies and people come here in droves and then find that the state isn't prepared to offer services to keep up with the growth.

Thanks...I get the point you were trying to make now.

You can see some kicka$$ cars at shops at legacy in Plano that are well over 100k/pop too
smile.gif

I was also impressed by a couple of houses in gated communities by Lewisville Lake.

As for the student parking lot...the SMU one was jaw dropping IMHO

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I have a friend that lives in a gated community in Southlake in a 9000 sq ft behemoth of a house that is only $750k. The home across the street went up for sale and the only people that looked at it played for the Mavericks and Rangers.

The lowest price home in Southlake north of 8k sq ft is $1.5 million. At one point it was listed for $3 mill. Looks like an athlete owned it and left it, may have been a foreclosure. Link:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhome...68-38305?row=13

It may be that now, I haven't looked...way too many zeros on the end out of my price range. I know that is what he paid for it several years ago.

It may be that now, I haven't looked...way too many zeros on the end out of my price range. I know that is what he paid for it several years ago.

I think that one may have a story behind it and keeps getting marked down. At a minimum a foreclosure. Not many want a story in that price range. I saw many homes in that area around 5k sq ft listing for 1.5 million. Property taxes are 38k per year on that first home...ouch! $3167 per month in taxes alone.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Well their is a reason a house of that size in the right section of Fairfield county would be well over $10M++

Even in my city $750k will barely get you on the water.

It is true that real estate in Texas is quite a bit cheaper than the northeast - but wages are much lower in TX too. Comparable jobs might pay 2x to 3x as much in the northeast or midwest compared to TX. Heck, I moved from DFW TX to SE WI because of the (much) higher salary.

I guess I'm just saying that there are too many people here now and it's too congested. The area doesn't lend itself well to mass transit

and what there is, is fully inconvenient to access. We Looked up what my brother would need to do to utilize mass transit on his daily commute (North Richland Hills, to UT SouthWestern Medical center(right next to Love Field), which is currently about 27 mi each way, Via Davis and 183. 30-40 min depending on traffic.

The Quickest transit route is like an 1.5hr, ending with walking through some sketchier areas near the hospital.

Quote:
Comparable jobs might pay 2x to 3x as much in the northeast or midwest compared to TX.
You will need to provide some supporting documentation for such a tall claim.

Sorry, folks, I am pretty surly these days. While it is true that suburban sprawl is ruining the appeal of this area the same is true for many other places in the U.S. Things have a way of equalizing over time. I think it is pretty common for people to disparage the area in which they grew up. Unfortunately, unless you are wealthy and don't need to work, you have to go where the jobs are. I also believe that the harsh winter in many parts of the U.S. this year is going to make this area seem even more attractive. I guess, as long as you enjoy heat, humidity, and big bugs this is your place!

Sorry, folks, I am pretty surly these days. While it is true that suburban sprawl is ruining the appeal of this area the same is true for many other places in the U.S. Things have a way of equalizing over time. I think it is pretty common for people to disparage the area in which they grew up. Unfortunately, unless you are wealthy and don't need to work, you have to go where the jobs are. I also believe that the harsh winter in many parts of the U.S. this year is going to make this area seem even more attractive. I guess, as long as you enjoy heat, humidity, and big bugs this is your place!

Equally true of Austin. Talk about CONGESTION! Geeze Louise...lots of yankees and californians are bailing out of their high-priced states and flocking here on a daily basis. The hip/hop/flip/flop/be/bop/funky/weird blue marble capitol.

I wonder what the old hippy/BB's think of all the new skyscrapers downtown? They used to pride themselves that "we're not like Houston or Dallas". Yea right. . . .

They're easy to spot...they're the ones wearing black in July when it's 105°F outside, the solar heat index is 120° and the asphalt is around 135°!

"Dude! This isn't Seattle or yankee land! We don't wear black socks with shorts either...if you can call those shorts".

What I am saying is that today's boom towns are tomorrow's bust towns. Any locale that tries, artificially, to make itself more attractive than others will eventually suffer the pitfalls associated with that approach. Anyone else here has lived in the DFW area since the 70's, or even the 80's knows what I am talking about.

I'm not grasping what you mean by this sentence.... "Any locale that tries, artificially, to make itself more attractive than others will eventually suffer the pitfalls associated with that approach."

It means that by creating an environment that encourages too rapid growth you ultimately end up with what we are seeing; heavy traffic, poor state services, inadequate education funding, and eventually a crumbling infrastructure.

Just wait and see. This "cheap" place is already becoming more expensive. I spend $100 on toll roads for my monthly commuting. I have lived here since the 70's and it takes more than a bunch of stores and restaurants to have quality of life.

You should move out of you can't afford it while things are going up.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

They're easy to spot...they're the ones wearing black in July when it's 105°F outside, the solar heat index is 120° and the asphalt is around 135°!

"Dude! This isn't Seattle or yankee land! We don't wear black socks with shorts either...if you can call those shorts".

"yankee" LOL I have to laugh when people get upset when "yankees" move in.....LOL
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Yup our property taxes are a killer!

There's no state income tax but it seems that for some people they will pay the same or even more in property tax in Texas then they will pay in combined property and income tax in New York or California.

What I find irrational is that police officers and firefighters typically cannot afford to live in the cities they work in.

The students come from affluent families then, and the teachers are driving cars that they can afford. Teachers are paid what they are worth to the community.

Why is it ridiculous?

You guys should see the student parking lot at Southlake Carroll High School! It is utterly ridiculous the cars many of the kids are driving to school, meanwhile the teachers lot looks like the parking lot at walmart.

Why do so many of the threads on here degrade into a class-warfare mentality? Why all the thinly veiled anger toward those that have done well? No man should disparage another simply because he's achieved more than himself. What's wrong with being wealthy? The thing with teachers/fireman/police not being able to afford homes where they work.... I didn't know that was somehow unfair and 'irrational' or 'ridiculous'. This whole attitude is why we have idiots thinking that working a drive-thru at a fast food joint merits $15 an hour.
Absurd.

Why do so many of the threads on here degrade into a class-warfare mentality? Why all the thinly veiled anger toward those that have done well? No man should disparage another simply because he's achieved more than himself. What's wrong with being wealthy? The thing with teachers/fireman/police not being able to afford homes where they work.... I didn't know that was somehow unfair and 'irrational' or 'ridiculous'. This whole attitude is why we have idiots thinking that working a drive-thru at a fast food joint merits $15 an hour.
Absurd.

Fact is that many of these people you speak of provide services that well off people tend to like as well. So don't complain when you can't get that fast food, or even that nice meal at a decent bistro, or get your cloths dry cleaned, or heaven forbid you need a fire fighters or police to respond to an emergency....it might take them 30 minutes or more to respond because they can't live close enough to your upscale location.
whistle.gif

My suggestion is let the well off pay for their own private responders. I'm sure you'd be OK with that, right?

I have nothing about folks that are wealthy, but I also think that you need to pay for the exclusivity with your own money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back