The Wood Look Boat Project....

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Product is taking form

Were about to launch this with modest electric power for small lakes and harbor cruising

We've put an Ilmor 550 small block in the first one.

Boaters love the wooden look but nobody wants to own and maintain a wooden boat so using an inlay we can give clients a modern fully linered craft thats easy to live with --but looks like a wooden classic.

IMG_3198.jpeg

Looks nice.....show us more pics .

As I get and can release them I will.

For the last 30 years of my life Ive come to the conclusion that boat shop guys are the worlds worst picture takers.

If a UFO landed in the parking lot and bigfoot walked out of it into and through the shop they wouldnt manage to get a picture of it.

IMG_7254.jpeg

I'm in love! Beautiful.

A good friend has a ~17' Merc jet powered tender built like this. I forget the builders name, they were intended as yacht tenders and not many were built. The woodgrain veil is so good, you would not be sure its wasn't wood unless you really know boats.

BTW, I'm dumb enough to actually want a wooden inboard at some point :D

I'm in love! Beautiful.

A good friend has a ~17' Merc jet powered tender built like this. I forget the builders name, they were intended as yacht tenders and not many were built. The woodgrain veil is so good, you would not be sure its wasn't wood unless you really know boats.

BTW, I'm dumb enough to actually want a wooden inboard at some point :D

We built a small fleet for an eccentric guy about 7 years ago.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 6.08.09 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 6.07.59 PM.jpg

The big block heads have bigger ports that flow more air and exhaust I like powerful boats .

Product is taking form

Were about to launch this with modest electric power for small lakes and harbor cruising

We've put an Ilmor 550 small block in the first one.

Boaters love the wooden look but nobody wants to own and maintain a wooden boat so using an inlay we can give clients a modern fully linered craft thats easy to live with --but looks like a wooden classic.

View attachment 144694
Wow! Very cool! It may be trade secrets, but is that real wood? How did you inlay attach it? What finish is that, epoxy coat?

If you can't divulge, I understand. The look brings out so much wood working curiosity.

That thing is cool! In the name of nostalgia someone should stick a 392 Hemi Crate motor in one...

Not the first time we've talked about that....
If we could run an open vs wet exhaust something like that would be fun.
Because it all has to fit under hatch all those components would have to be one off fabricated and a nightmare from an availability or cost perspective.

Wow! Very cool! It may be trade secrets, but is that real wood? How did you inlay attach it? What finish is that, epoxy coat?

If you can't divulge, I understand. The look brings out so much wood working curiosity.

Thanks.

It's not wood. It's all fiberglass.

It is a printed material that is inlaid into the mold, to get the color correct it needs to be backed by a complimentary color and the process is VERY tricky to get right and get the air out to prevent the bubbling.

This particular team has a patent on their process but it's basically been done similarly way since the 60's but there were few "retro styled" boats that used this process.

My fav boat "look". Classic shape, nice size. Something like this in fiberglass "would", "wood" look good (backwards for fun)

Needs 2 engines and jet drives too.
:)
tumblr_o65nzcUC7S1r1si11o1_1280.jpg

Back