The trouble with Frams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

Since about 2000, I've read that Frams are among the worst filters out there. I understand this to be due to their cardboard ends. But I've never seen anyone connect the dots on this. I've heard of high RPM applications causing Frams to 'blow out'. Is this it? Do the ends fail when subject to a high flow of oil?

Just curious.

It's not that they are really going to harm your vehicle. It's really comes down to the fact that you can get better built filter for lower costs.

Believe me I don't mean to be rude, but I should point out that there are hundreds of threads just like this one, I'm sure you can find your answer in one of them. To post a full answer to your post might start another flame war.

In short, no the the problem is not that the endcaps will blow out. The problem is the overall design of the filter that can fail(internally, without anyone knowing) and circulate dirty oil. Check out one of the other posts for more info.

i stopped using a fram back in 1996 when one crushed itself from the inside and messed up some cam bearings on my 5.0 Mustang.

Quote:

It's not that they are really going to harm your vehicle. It's really comes down to the fact that you can get better built filter for lower costs.

thumbsup.gif

I've used Frams for decades with never a single problem or issue. ( and I cut open EVERY Filter I use )

I don't use Frams now because of what SW99 stated, better deals out there.
grin.gif

Take care, bill

Yea, I think the whole negative thing on Frams is OVER DONE.

I used FRAMs on a 1997 5.7L GM engine for 138K miles with 3000 mile OCI and a three runs of 6000 with Syntec. This engine holds only 5 quarts and has a filter the size of a soup can.

Result; Zero oil consumption in 3000 mile OCI, 2/3 qt when doing 6000 OCI with Syntec. I'll agree this proves nothing and the OCI probably had more to do with this than filter, nevertheless....

Then I recently did a filter study for a Ford Duratec 3L and found Frams Tough Guard, TG2 had one of the highest efficiency ratings (99%, >20um, per SH806 J1858) and had silicon ADBV.

I use the MC FL-820S though because it's 3rd price at WM and filters nearly as well. If the price ratio was the other way around I'd likely be using Frams TG2.

If someone gave me frams to use, I would. However I will not buy them because there are far better deals for better quality.

I've been using FRAMs since I bought my 2006 model in November of 2005 and I can tell you if I came to this site back then, I would not have and this would be a pity. The stock dealer's A02 FRAM filter has worked well with the oils I have chosen and it has never fell off or self-destructed but moreover, this filter had enhanced the performance of my car. I am glad I did not come to this site earlier although now that I am 26,400 miles of stock FRAM filter life, I can safely move to some "better deals" out there on my next oil change in the next 300 miles or so when my MMS/OLM shoots down to 15% (it just went down to 30% yesterday). Since I am paying 7 bucks for stock Honda filter, I am considering something cheaper but good (Supertech, Motorcraft) or a few bucks more (Mobil 1, Napa Gold) just to see if I get different performance. By performance, I mean better flow/pressure because the Toughguard-like stock filter is supposed to filter real good. I know the Napa gold filter real good but I am wondering how well it will regulate pressure. I know the FRAM, according to a possible lie by dealer, is supposed to regulate pressure good. All I have to say is break in your car carefully then you are free to choose whatever, whether it be oil, oil filter, air filter or pollen filter.

Last edited:
Quote:

I've been using FRAMs since I bought my 2006 model in November of 2005 and I can tell you if I came to this site back then, I would not have and this would be a pity. The stock dealer's A02 FRAM filter has worked well with the oils I have chosen and it has never fell off or self-destructed but moreover, this filter had enhanced the performance of my car. I am glad I did not come to this site earlier although now that I am 26,400 miles of stock FRAM filter life, I can safely move to some "better deals" out there on my next oil change in the next 300 miles or so when my MMS/OLM shoots down to 15% (it just went down to 30% yesterday). Since I am paying 7 bucks for stock Honda filter, I am considering something cheaper but good (Supertech, Motorcraft) or a few bucks more (Mobil 1, Napa Gold) just to see if I get different performance. By performance, I mean better flow/pressure because the Toughguard-like stock filter is supposed to filter real good. I know the Napa gold filter real good but I am wondering how well it will regulate pressure. I know the FRAM, according to a possible lie by dealer, is supposed to regulate pressure good. All I have to say is break in your car carefully then you are free to choose whatever, whether it be oil, oil filter, air filter or pollen filter.

Wow, You mean your engine lasted 26,000 miles on frams? Wow thats amazing!
laugh.gif
It even enhanced the performance of your engine. How does an oil filter do that?
crackmeup.gif

The house brands from places like Chinamart and Advanced Auto are better filters - for the same price or less. If a large majority of basic Fram users found this website & read the info here, they would engage in the largest filter company purchase stoppage in the history of oil filters.

Yes... those basic Frams will get your engine beyond 200K... but why pay $3.50 for it when there's better quality out there for $2.60-ish everyday price... even $1.50-ish when Advanced Auto runs their periodic sales.

Quote:

The house brands from places like Chinamart and Advanced Auto are better filters - for the same price or less. If a large majority of basic Fram users found this website & read the info here, they would engage in the largest filter company purchase stoppage in the history of oil filters.

Yes... those basic Frams will get your engine beyond 200K... but why pay $3.50 for it when there's better quality out there for $2.60-ish everyday price... even $1.50-ish when Advanced Auto runs their periodic sales.

Speaking of which, there is a new AAP newly built whose paint just recently dried. The FRAM filter costs me 7 bucks and change. Which filters are great that you recommend. I drive a Honda so I am hoping some of you all who have posted above drive them and even possibly an Accord and a V6 at that. I get great gas mileage for a V6, about 25 mpg give or take some change and I hope choosing a different filter will enhance that. Hey, I was incredulous when the AAP guy told me the pollen filter will help my car breathe better buty ou know what, he was right. Does Purolator make AAPs house brand? I'll keep an eye out for sales and boy is staying with MC and its great GRP III or finding something more hearty with the PP is the hardest decision. I like the short 5k OCIs with MC but I am pretty sure it will still be 5k with PP and I am starting out with a better add pack supposedly since it is a full synthetic but I just don't like to switch oil so much primarily. Is the Super Tech filter and the Motorcraft filters good because I see those everywhere. I want great flow and filtration but can't seem to get my mind around which filters I am going to give thenod to. It's "down to" MC, ST, F TG2, NG. Which is the best bang for the buck given similar performance?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back