The Strange Thing About "New Green" Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the product info for Zerex G-05 and the somewhat newer green version with lower silicates...

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerexg05.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerexoriginal.pdf

Apparently, Zerex G-05 uses more silicates than the green. The green now lasts 5 years/100,000 miles.

I need to find some place that sells it still to get a picture of the ingredients since the links above are missing a complete ingredients list.

OH! The STRANGE THING! LOL!

What I meant by that is automotive and coolant manufacturers went through so much trouble to go to long life coolants. Apparently, all of that may have been possibly avoided by just improving what was already available; green coolant.

Though I am perfectly happy with the coolant meant to be the direct replacement for green; G-05.

Hello again, Coolant-Man....I keep following you around this site....don't worry, I'm harmless.
lol.gif

It's been said many times here that today's "conventional green coolant" is now low silicate and is not the "green snot of death" of yesteryear.

The green Zerex is even recommended for diesel engines if you add the correct SCA. The old high silicate formulas were never intended for diesel use.

I reported the silicate levels of Z green vs. G05 here a few months ago and everyone ignored it, just like your thread.

The Z green has both silicates AND phosphates while the G05 lacks the potassium....an ingredient frowned upon in Europe due to VERY hard water, so someone says.

Some articles say the "old green" protects older brass/copper systems better than G05. I don't know. I use the green in an older Ford engine (Kohler generator) and it holds up much better than the old high silicate stuff.

I agree with you and think that the NEW green antifreeze is overlooked for it's high quality vs. all the hype of the new fangled stuff.

In Michigan, Speedway gas stations stock the Z green at decent prices.

Last edited:
If I couldn't easily get G-05, I would probably use Zerex Green without any fear.

There is a NAPA not far away from me that may sell Zerex. I will have to check it out when I have time.

I was just reading this...

PDF - Motor Magazine - August 2004 - Coo...(Paul Weissler)

This stuck out...

"The questions about 2-EHA were raised not only by Ford (and reportedly DaimlerChrysler) but within Japanese coolant development circles, as well. When Honda introduced its longlife coolant, it specifically excluded 2-EHA, and we can tell you there is unhappiness at Honda regarding Dex-Cool in the new Saturn VUE with the Honda-supplied 3.5L V6. The system is being filled with DexCool because that’s what’s in the plant for everything else. It would not be simple to set up a separate coolant fill system for the Honda engine.

We can’t tell you how this dispute is going to play out, but you do have to make a choice when it’s time to change. The engine already has been protected with DexCool (unless there’s an assembly line change in the works) and it’s reasonable to install that when you service that engine. However, to extend gasket life and protect the water pump impeller and chamber, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to flush the system and switch to a coolant with phosphates and/or silicates (conventional American or G-05) at this point."

Coolant_Man I know you favor G-05 and Green, and dislike Dexcool and GM, but silicates or phosphates or whatever inorganic ihhibitor are not the end-all-be-all. Whether you want to believe it or not, Dexcool has proven that inorganics aren't necessay to provide corrosion protection. Nothing has been established to show Peak Global can't provide great protection and compatibility as well.

Deathcool certainly has proven it has a great ability to turn into mud and eat gaskets. G-05 and green do not. Once more people use this supposed Lord's nectar known as Peak GL, you will see problems arise.

Originally Posted By: Coolant_Man
Deathcool certainly has proven it has a great ability to turn into mud and eat gaskets. G-05 and green do not. Once more people use this supposed Lord's nectar known as Peak GL, you will see problems arise.

I think I now have your reasoning figured out, but I think it's based on bad assumptions. You assume that because Dexcool is a type of OAT and not a H-OAT, that is why it "turns into mud and eat gaskets". It does not do this if air does not get into the cooling system. But you assume since Peak Global is also a type of OAT and not a H-OAT, it must have the same ability to sludge and/or eat gaskets. The problem with your assumptions is PGL does not contain the same OAT as Dexcool 2-EHA, and I don't think your assumption is correct that an inorganic like silicon or phosphate is necessary for every and all OAT to not sludge or "eat" gaskets.

Deathcool has been shown to turn into mud and not eat gaskets.
Deathcool has been shown to eat gaskets but not turn into mud.
Deathcool has been shown to turn into mud and also eat gaskets.

Just because you believe something to not be true doesn't mean it in fact is not true. Deathcool damage as been documented on the Internet now for over 10 years.

There have been no known cases of HOAT turning into mud and/or eating gaskets.

Peak GL may have every capability of the damage Deathcool can do. Yes it doesn't contain 2-EHA, but we still don't know exactly what it contains since its ingredients list uses the word "proprietary".

Deathcool has been shown to turn into mud and not eat gaskets.
Deathcool has been shown to eat gaskets but not turn into mud.
Deathcool has been shown to turn into mud and also eat gaskets.

OK dexcool has not really been shown to eat gaskets. It's believed to be more agressive with certain plastics. Did the Honda engines, and whatever else, that got filled with Dexcool get their gaskets ate? There's not much evidence of it. I've already conceded that Dexcool might not be as compatible with some gaskets and might be more agressive.

Quote:
Just because you believe something to not be true doesn't mean it in fact is not true. Deathcool damage as been documented on the Internet now for over 10 years.

There have been no known cases of HOAT turning into mud and/or eating gaskets.

But just because you believe something is true doesn't make it true either. Green has been known to eat gasket and sludge, but due to poor maintenance. I'm pretty sure H-OAT over a longer period of time with bad maintencance can cause problem. you just don't hear abouut them much because people have an expectation of Green. Granted that's not as exactly the same problem that Dexcool sometimes had. It's just you are making blanket statements.

Quote:
Peak GL may have every capability of the damage Deathcool can do. Yes it doesn't contain 2-EHA, but we still don't know exactly what it contains since its ingredients list uses the word "proprietary".

Well you probably don't really know what all the inhibitors are in G-05 and Asian formula either. But you just assume that any and all OATs will behave as you claim dexcool will if they don't have an inorganic inhibitor and aren't a hybrid, and any H-oat will be better regardless of it's OAT. I think that is a bad assumption. It's generally believed that 2-EHA is responsible for whatever is dexcool's tendencies and not because it's not a hybrid.

You basically disregard that PGL is a not a 2-EHA OAT and Peak's claims that PGL has a longer life and more capability than other anti-freezes.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
OK dexcool has not really been shown to eat gaskets. It's believed to be more agressive with certain plastics. Did the Honda engines, and whatever else, that got filled with Dexcool get their gaskets ate? There's not much evidence of it. I've already conceded that Dexcool might not be as compatible with some gaskets and might be more agressive.

This actually made me laugh, lol. Here is some evidence for you...

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/GMdocs/dexcool2007-5.7L-IMG.php
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2428954&postcount=13
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm_dexcool.html

If you want to see more, research on your own time with Google or Yahoo.

But just because you believe something is true doesn't make it true either. Green has been known to eat gasket and sludge, but due to poor maintenance. I'm pretty sure H-OAT over a longer period of time with bad maintencance can cause problem. you just don't hear abouut them much because people have an expectation of Green. Granted that's not as exactly the same problem that Dexcool sometimes had. It's just you are making blanket statements.

As I said, show me one case of HOAT causing a failure. I bet you can't find one.

This is about the closest thing I have ever seen to G-05 failing, but this appears to be a fault with the radiator and not the coolant...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1640549

And stop bring up green when you reply to a quote of mine that said nothing about green.

Well you probably don't really know what all the inhibitors are in G-05 and Asian formula either. But you just assume that any and all OATs will behave as you claim dexcool will if they don't have an inorganic inhibitor and aren't a hybrid, and any H-oat will be better regardless of it's OAT. I think that is a bad assumption. It's generally believed that 2-EHA is responsible for whatever is dexcool's tendencies and not because it's not a hybrid.

You are the one making bad assumptions. And once again I put forth the challenge for you to bring up evidence of HOAT causing problems.

You basically disregard that PGL is a not a 2-EHA OAT and Peak's claims that PGL has a longer life and more capability than other anti-freezes.

What does that mean? Do I think Peak GL and Deathcool are inferior to HOAT coolants? YES!

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Then why is Prestone still using a Dexclone type coolant with 2-eha?

I suppose they put too much money into it both in research and advertising. I refuse to use their coolant.

This actually made me laugh, lol. Here is some evidence for you...

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/GMdocs/dexcool2007-5.7L-IMG.php
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2428954&postcount=13
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm_dexcool.html

If you want to see more, research on your own time with Google or Yahoo.

I know all about those gasket issues. They were low quality plastic gaskets that could eventually fail if Green or G-05 was used. And the sludging was caused by allowing the coolant to go low, bad pressure caps etc letting air in. I've already concede that dexcool could sludge if air got in the system. But the big point you are missing is there are millions of more other cars that were FF with Dexcool and they did not sludge or have gasket problems. You act like I'm denying dexcool ever had problem and that I'm saying you can use it in all makes which I clearly have not.

Quote:

As I said, show me one case of HOAT causing a failure. I bet you can't find one.

This is about the closest thing I have ever seen to G-05 failing, but this appears to be a fault with the radiator and not the coolant...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1640549

And stop bring up green when you reply to a quote of mine that said nothing about green.

The point I was making is that G-05 and Green is not Dexcool but people use Green as a standard of failure. You are making this a G-05 vs. Dexcool debate and calling Peak GL dexcool. I'm not trying to defend Dexcool or discredit G-05 as much as make the point that Dexcool is not as bad as you make it out to be and that PGL is not Dexcool to begin with.

Quote:

You are the one making bad assumptions. And once again I put forth the challenge for you to bring up evidence of HOAT causing problems.

But that's not really the point here to show H-OATs are bad. The point here is you claim Peak GL will cause the problems that Dexcool did. Apparently you have no evidence that it will, so you simply change the argument to something else, like "prove H-OAT causes problems". I'm not really making any assumptions, you are.

Quote:

What does that mean? Do I think Peak GL and Deathcool are inferior to HOAT coolants? YES!

Then why don't YOU show proof that Peak GL is inferior to H-OAT instead of providing the assumption that simply because Peak GL doesn't contain silicants or phosphates that means it will behave as Dexcool.

Why you keep contradicting yourself is beyond me.

First you said, "OK dexcool has not really been shown to eat gaskets." To which I reply to with evidence then you say, "I know all about those gasket issues." That makes no sense. Then you make the assumption that millions of other GM cars don't have Deathcool problems. How do you know that? We can just as easily say that millions of GM owners don't know they have Deathcool problems.

Then you say, "They were low quality plastic gaskets that could eventually fail if Green or G-05 was used." Well the funny thing about that statement is the those gaskets were used back in the early 90s when GM was running green.

And you were the one that brought up Deathcool in this thread in Post #1697271. Now I realize my post right above that mentioned Deathcool, but the point of it was the recommendation of switching to conventional American green or G-05.

And then you go right back to defending Peak GL. Now granted, we don't know what exactly is in it since it uses a super top secret formula, but come on man! If a replacement coolant doesn't even have what the OEM coolant requires, how can you possibly recommend it as a replacement?

I challenged you to prove HOATs were bad because you seem to have this deluded belief that nether silicates in G-05 nor phosphates in Asian HOAT are needed. And since Ford and Chrysler want silicates and Asians want phosphates, and since Peak GL doesn't contain either, then it is indeed an inferior product. Will Peak GL cause the problems that Deathcool does? Only time will tell. But we do know the track record of Deathcool which is also an OAT coolant is not great. G-05 has been around for 25+ years and has a record of reliability.

GM changed the intake manifold and I believe gasket on the early 90's 3x00 V6. What I said was the gasket was more of the issue than the Dexcool. Then you claim some contradiction.

You were the first to come out and criticise Dexcool and PGL. The OAT in the HOATS is not the same as Dexcools and neither is it in PGL. You attibute all the difference to silicant or phosphate and none of it to the OATs used. You are the one that is saying PGL just as well be Dexcool and will have its characteristics. You have no real proof of that claim. So what do you do? You create a new debate over whether HOATS are as good or better than Dexcool. Or erroneously claim I recommend Dexcool in non GM applications.

There's seems no getting through to you that the issue was PGL being better than Dexcool.

GM changed the intake manifold and I believe gasket on the early 90's 3x00 V6. What I said was the gasket was more of the issue than the Dexcool. Then you claim some contradiction.

The gaskets were the same ones on the 3.1L, the 3.4L, the 3.8L, and the 4.3L V6s. And you didn't say, "What I said was the gasket was more of the issue than the Dexcool" when you mentioned gaskets. What you said was, "They were low quality plastic gaskets that could eventually fail if Green or G-05 was used." To which I attempted to correct you on as they were in fact used when GM used conventional American green coolant.

You were the first to come out and criticise Dexcool and PGL. The OAT in the HOATS is not the same as Dexcools and neither is it in PGL. You attibute all the difference to silicant or phosphate and none of it to the OATs used. You are the one that is saying PGL just as well be Dexcool and will have its characteristics. You have no real proof of that claim. So what do you do? You create a new debate over whether HOATS are as good or better than Dexcool. Or erroneously claim I recommend Dexcool in non GM applications.

I did in another thread. I don't know why you wondered over to this thread to start arguing again. As you can see, I started this thread about low-silicate Zerex green.

There's seems no getting through to you that the issue was PGL being better than Dexcool.

Once again, not on this thread. If you are so sure Peak GL is better than Deathcool, you might want to write a letter to GM and let them know that.

The intake manifold and gasket designed was changed on the 60 degree V6 around the same time Dexcool use began. I absolutely did say it was more a gasket issue, but maybe you are having problems comprehending. You can claim many Dexcool engines have cavitation corrosion or other problems but that's simply not so.

You already made your simplistc statement many times that no coolants in the world could possibly work in an Asian car if they don't have phosphates. And That Dexcool is junk and only G-05 is good. Your last statement about me contacting GM makes about as much sense as me telling you to write GM and tell them G-05 is better than Dexcool.

There's really no point in me discussing this topic anymore with you. Your arguments are getting repetious and are peppered with your opinions along with mischarcterizations and some misinformation, but I'm not going to bother to keep debating them.

The intake manifold and gasket designed was changed on the 60 degree V6 around the same time Dexcool use began. I absolutely did say it was more a gasket issue, but maybe you are having problems comprehending.

Oh really? Here is EXACTLY what you said when you brought up gaskets...

AND

I know all about those gasket issues. They were low quality plastic gaskets that could eventually fail if Green or G-05 was used. And the sludging was caused by allowing the coolant to go low, bad pressure caps etc letting air in. I've already concede that dexcool could sludge if air got in the system. But the big point you are missing is there are millions of more other cars that were FF with Dexcool and they did not sludge or have gasket problems. You act like I'm denying dexcool ever had problem and that I'm saying you can use it in all makes which I clearly have not.

It was not until your third post about gaskets that you claimed to have said, "What I said was the gasket was more of the issue than the Dexcool" which you didn't say in the previous posts I have quoted above. Perhaps your memory is starting to fail you?

You can claim many Dexcool engines have cavitation corrosion or other problems but that's simply not so.

I am starting to think you might be a mental case. I posted that in ANOTHER THREAD! Not this one. But to help you along, I said in the other thread (Zerex Asian Vehicle antifreeze)...

Well if you are of the belief instant protection is not needed in a cooling system then I have no idea what to tell you. I guess all those water pumps that have been in Deathcool systems with cavitation damage on their impellers and those running a coolant with silicates or phosphates or both that didn't have this damage was all a figment of my imagination.

So once again here is some proof for you...

http://motor.com/magazine/pdfs/082002_04.pdf

Look at the last page of that article.

Now backup your claim that damage is a figment of my imagination.

You already made your simplistc statement many times that no coolants in the world could possibly work in an Asian car if they don't have phosphates. And That Dexcool is junk and only G-05 is good. Your last statement about me contacting GM makes about as much sense as me telling you to write GM and tell them G-05 is better than Dexcool.

I guess simplistic statements are beyond your grasp. And since you once again are quoting me from a different thread, I will say here what I have said there. I have said, "How can Peak GL without using phosphates or silicates possibly be compatible in an Asian vehicle requiring an HOAT coolant using phosphates?" What do you not get about that? You have claimed in that other thread you agreed with me that it was best to follow what the OEM recommended so why aren't you?

There's really no point in me discussing this topic anymore with you. Your arguments are getting repetious and are peppered with your opinions along with mischarcterizations and some misinformation, but I'm not going to bother to keep debating them.

I think there is a point. My arguments are getting repetitive because they hold up and are true and they are backed up by links that anyone can read. You ought to get around to reading them instead of bringing stupidity with you when you reply to me.

I think this is the last time I'm going to bother correcting your nonsense. I probably should just ignore you but your comments are getting out of hand.

The intake manifold and gasket designed was changed on the 60 degree V6 around the same time Dexcool use began. I absolutely did say it was more a gasket issue, but maybe you are having problems comprehending.

Oh really? Here is EXACTLY what you said when you brought up gaskets...

AND

It was not until your third post about gaskets that you claimed to have said, "What I said was the gasket was more of the issue than the Dexcool" which you didn't say in the previous posts I have quoted above. Perhaps your memory is starting to fail you?

If you can't infer from all that I was saying the plastic gaskets were much if not all of the issue, then I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
You can claim many Dexcool engines have cavitation corrosion or other problems but that's simply not so.

I am starting to think you might be a mental case. I posted that in ANOTHER THREAD! Not this one. But to help you along, I said in the other thread (Zerex Asian Vehicle antifreeze)...

No need to stoop to insulting me buddy. I personally think you should be banned for this kind of posting. I couldn't care less what you say you posted in what thread. All your arguments in these threads is prefaced upon Dexcool having cavitation problems. I'll post whatever point I want in a thread. I don't need your approval.

Well if you are of the belief instant protection is not needed in a cooling system then I have no idea what to tell you. I guess all those water pumps that have been in Deathcool systems with cavitation damage on their impellers and those running a coolant with silicates or phosphates or both that didn't have this damage was all a figment of my imagination.
So once again here is some proof for you...

http://motor.com/magazine/pdfs/082002_04.pdf

Look at the last page of that article.

Now backup your claim that damage is a figment of my imagination.

I don't really care about your link to a 7 year old Motor article with a picture of some dubious test of an OAT used in an old Dodge or whatever. You think I never read Motor magazine before? You are just not getting anything that's said. What's been said is Dexcool vehicles don't seem to have much cavitation-corrosion problems. It's been explained that the Dexcool lays down a protective coating on these vehicles and if you keep air out of the system you don't see much problem. I've ad enough Dexcool engines apart to know this. Then you go ranting on with strawman arguments that I've said to put Dexcool in everything and whatever else that I haven't said.

Also I recently posted a product sheet that showed Dexcool had little cavitation-corrosion. So far you ignore that and instead continue your argument in this thread.

Quote:

I guess simplistic statements are beyond your grasp. And since you once again are quoting me from a different thread, I will say here what I have said there. I have said, "How can Peak GL without using phosphates or silicates possibly be compatible in an Asian vehicle requiring an HOAT coolant using phosphates?" What do you not get about that? You have claimed in that other thread you agreed with me that it was best to follow what the OEM recommended so why aren't you?

You are the one misconstruing everything and appear to not be grasping concepts. I haven't said whether I do or don't follow OEM recommendations. Yet you yourself admitted you would not follow the OEM recommendation for Dexcool. You're also disregarding that several coolant manufactures have recommended Dexcool in non-GM vehicles. I'm not even doing that, yet you act like I'm the only one who is. I've been discussing among others the possibility of using other coolants for reasons that have been mentioned. You've stated your postion numerous times and since you are not open to the idea maybe you should just drop out of the discussion?

Quote:

I think there is a point. My arguments are getting repetitive because they hold up and are true and they are backed up by links that anyone can read. You ought to get around to reading them instead of bringing stupidity with you when you reply to me.

That's just your opinion that all your arguments have been completely back up with your links. I sure don't think so. You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't really care to hear it anymore. You are prone to assumptions, like that I haven't read your links. I've seen many of those links previously before you ever posted them. I can't imagine what are you going to come up with next as reply.

Last edited:
I think you are a forum troll so I am not going to feed you anymore. I think anyone can read this and the other thread we have been butting heads on and come to the conclusion that you really have no idea what you are talking about. I am going to ask you this once again...

How can you possibly recommend Peak GL OAT coolant which contains no phosphates and no silicates for an Asian vehicle that requires an HOAT coolant using phosphates?

You ask this question again. What is the point of me listing all the reasons again when they've already been listed and you refuse to accept them? So you can debate it more?

1. Hoat is only a "requirement" during the warranty and is a recommendation else wise.
2. Green has been used with silicant in asian vehicles for many years without problems. So much for the concept that no silicant is "required".
3. Dexcool is an OAT and has been recommend by various Anti-freeze manufactures.
4.Dexclones are recommend for Asian vehicle by Coolant manufactures.
5. GM FF some Asian applications with Dexcool.
6. Dexcool has shown it can despite contrary claims to protect cooling systems without inorganics.
7. Dexcool/dexclones are probably the most sold A-F and has been put into Asian applications without even a flush and even mixing with the residual HOAT.
8. It's not established for fact that a HOAT is a "necessity" in anything, only an OEM recommendation and choice.

This so far is just the reasoning behind that a HOAT isn't "required".

9. Peak Global is not Dexcool so just because it is an OAT doesn't mean it can be directly compared to Dexcool.

10. PGL is recommend for all makes by the manufacture.
11. PGL has a longer advertised life.
12. PGL claims compatibility
13. Asian formulas are only available in 50/50
14. PGL is available in full strength
15. The potential for one coolant to stock is there

That's the reasoning why someone might use PGL in an Asian application. It might be debatable just how well PGL will perform, but there's really no strong proof that it can't. Simply saying the OEM recommends phosphates doesn't exactly constitute proof that an HOAT is a necessity, but only the recommended type. Neither does dragging Dexcool into it, or unproven claims that OAT can't work at all because it doesn't have phosphate or silicates prove it can't protect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back