The old Saturn consumes 20wt PAO or GrpIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just added 1 entire quart of M1 0w-20 SL (out of SM)to the old Saturn, 4K into the OCI. Filled the crankcase with M1 0w-20 SM originally. About 1500 miles ago, added about 1/2 quart of M1 15w-50 to thicken things up a bit.

PP 5w-20 was consumed about the same rate.

Pennzoil dino 5w-20, very little consumption--maybe 8oz per 4K--not much at all.

Anything in the 30wt or higher range and the engine doesn't consume any noticeable quantities over a 3-4k OCI.

Why would 20wt PAO or GIII consume at a higher rate than any other viscosity or 20wt GII+ ??

M1 cSt @ 40º C 48.3
cSt @ 100º C 8.8
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 163

PZ Advanced Protection (only 5w-20 that wasn't synth)
@ 40°C, cSt ASTM D-445 47.3
@ 100°C, cSt ASTM D-445 8.4
VI 150

I don't know what it is, but in some instances, conventional oil is actual better at reducing oil consumption than synthetics. Despite volatility being much better with synthetics, it doesn't make sense, yet people do notice this.

Mobil doesn't have a current 0w-20 PDS.

Try one of the Valvoline HM oils.

I've got 3 qts 0w-20 mobil 1 and 2 qts 15w-50 EP in my 06 vibe. so far no oil consumption. hard to say since it's different ride, but I got that mix in.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I've got 3 qts 0w-20 mobil 1 and 2 qts 15w-50 EP in my 06 vibe. so far no oil consumption. hard to say since it's different ride, but I got that mix in.

That's an interesting blend / nice additive mix there. Vscosity somewhere around 7W-32.

In my beater Caravan I'm currently using three Havoline 5W-20 quarts and two Delo 400 15W-40 quarts.... hypothetical 8W-28.

I think it is becuase dino thickens more and react's differently with combustion by products....I have never seen a vechile that consumed oil that did not consume more oil with synthetic as opposed to dino! I think that synthetic's better flow work's against it in oil burner's as more of it seem's to get past seal's and into the ring area then their dino counter part's!

I think it is becuase dino thickens more and react's differently with combustion by products....I have never seen a vechile that consumed oil that did not consume more oil with synthetic as opposed to dino! I think that synthetic's better flow work's against it in oil burner's as more of it seem's to get past seal's and into the ring area then their dino counter part's!

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
hypothetical 8W-28.

LOL.gif

I'd try and find some Maxlife 5w-20 and see what the consumption is with that.

Maxlife 10w-30 has cut my consumption to practically nill, where as any other oil, my Corolla is at about a quart every 1.5K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back