The new Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Does anyone know if the V-6 Ram has the good 8 speed tranny like this? I like the EPA ratings of 25 mpg. The best I've been able to pull off with my 4.3 has been 22.
It is a Chrysler made tranny. Supposedly licensed from ZF.

Is 3 mpg better really worth $35k more? And I have reached 24mpg.

Does anyone know if the V-6 Ram has the good 8 speed tranny like this? I like the EPA ratings of 25 mpg. The best I've been able to pull off with my 4.3 has been 22.

Last edited:
Why am I a troll? Just because you can not have a open mind that the "newest" may not be the best right now?

Originally Posted By: morepwr
The ignore feature is a wonderful thing. It reduces the feeding of the trolls.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Why am I a troll? Just because you can not have a open mind that the "newest" may not be the best right now?

Originally Posted By: morepwr
The ignore feature is a wonderful thing. It reduces the feeding of the trolls.

You are a troll because once again you are compared a USED VEHICLE to a brand new one. I garun-dam-tee you your truck didn't cost $16k new.

9k miles is pretty new. About 24k new. Lot less than 50k for same gas mileage.

FYI, you are a TROLL! Go drink your kool aid sitting at the dealership.

This debate has happened before after a major tech change, it takes years for them to get it right.

FYI, no need to reply I am done until I hear the whining about problems with your golden trucks

Last edited:
Thanks for pooping all over my thread! Really appreciate it.

Rather than beat on you about your complaints I would like to remind you that technology marches on. No matter how you feel about it the odds are that the latest generation of trucks will last longer and use less fuel than anything that came before them.

All anyone has to do is take off the rose colored glasses about the 'good old daze' and smell what's cookin'!

FWIW I love my new truck. All done for 100k miles!

And just to shoot all the "you coulda got one cheaper" guys in the foot, we only buy brand new personal vehicles very rarely. Usually we go used.

My Personal Silverado is an 05 with around 150k miles on it and it is going to sell for at least 10 grand. May get 11k! Bought new in 2005 for 26k.

I see that as pretty doggone economical myself. YMMV...

pretty sure the v6 only comes with the zf8

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

pretty sure the v6 only comes with the zf8

That V6 sure does sound good, at least in the reviews and on paper. I kinda wish they made a 4.9L V8 version of it, I think it'd make for a great light duty truck.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Metal is not always better than plastic, especially on something like a transmission pan that is thin enough to be damaged even if it were metal. If you hit something hard enough to break the pan, it doesn't matter what it's made of; it's gonna get damaged regardless. The metal gas tank on my Bronco rusted out and is now leaking. A plastic tank wouldn't have done that. I'm going to be replacing it with a plastic one so I won't have any more problems with it ever again. Plastic - 1 Metal - 0.

Oh yeah, and even with the metal gas tank, there's a skid plate underneath the tank. If metal is sooo superiorly strong, why does it need a skid plate?

IMO the plastic tanks were a step in the right direction. Some of these new plastics are fantastic for things like fuel tanks, etc. I remember the oil pan rotting from the outside in on my Aerostar, what a PITA that was. Honestly I'm all for these new plastics for a lot of automotive applications.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
And just to shoot all the "you coulda got one cheaper" guys in the foot, we only buy brand new personal vehicles very rarely. Usually we go used.

My Personal Silverado is an 05 with around 150k miles on it and it is going to sell for at least 10 grand. May get 11k! Bought new in 2005 for 26k.

I see that as pretty doggone economical myself. YMMV...
Trucks seem to be a better overall value than a car, all things considered.

Did not mean to "rattle" you. Let us know in 100k miles. Its not proven till then.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Thanks for pooping all over my thread! Really appreciate it.

Rather than beat on you about your complaints I would like to remind you that technology marches on. No matter how you feel about it the odds are that the latest generation of trucks will last longer and use less fuel than anything that came before them.

All anyone has to do is take off the rose colored glasses about the 'good old daze' and smell what's cookin'!

FWIW I love my new truck. All done for 100k miles!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
On a few of the Jeep boards I see a lot of complaints with the 8 speed transmission in the GC. I'm wondering if its the same transmission used in the PU, or the light duty version of the 8 speed they're having problems with. The GC uses two different versions of the 8 speed ZF transmission. The heavy duty transmission goes into the Quadra-Drive II equipped GC, that's the transmission used in the Ram PU. The light duty 8 speed transmission goes as Quadra-Trac II equipped vehicles. I'm not clear which units are having the issues or if its effecting both units.

FTR I love the truck!

Not that it matters anymore at this point. The GC diesel gets the same transmission as the Ram PU does, which is the heavy duty ZF 8 speed. The gas GC gets a light duty version of the ZF 8 speed. I got my facts a little mixed up I think.

Did not mean to "rattle" you. Let us know in 100k miles. Its not proven till then.

Please don't elevate yourself. It's kind of tragic to watch (read?)...

Yup it is tragic to see people getting fooled by big auto...

Got the same reactions from people in 2001 when I bought a brand new Honda that was a lemon. Lost friends over that one. No one could believe a Honda was a lemon.

Last edited:
Your Quote--->You don't have to pay this much for a truck. MY 2012 with 9k miles was only 16k and all steel and iron. I don't think it will take you into retirement.

Directly after my post about My new Ram will take me into my retirement!

You have no idea what you are even saying!!!

Once again--->Worrying about that WE made a Mistake!!! Why are U even worried about Us?

Who am I? I'm the Man your talking about!!

Because I hate to see people get shafted by big auto like I have.

If you don't want comments about you purchase don't post about it. Is it so wrong to doubt it will last?

Last edited:
Because I hate to see people get shafted by big auto like I have.

Correct me if I'm wrong--but don't you own a Chevy? When did Chevy stop being part of the big auto biz?

You also haven't answered about the fact that your trans isn't made out of steel, it's made out of aluminum. The same material you were knocking elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back