The most expensive grease in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet there are military, industrial, aerospace, medical, etc applications that have those beat by a lot.

The most expensive one's I have ever dealt with used multiply-alkylated cyclopentane, or PFPE's or silahydrocarbons.

Last edited:
"Certified non-flammable and the material of choice for use in direct contact with oxygen "

Try that with regular grease...

My dad worked on the Space shuttle. Certain greases, that were designed and used ONLY on the Space shuttle, were extremely expensive.

3000psi oxygen has to be treated with great respect. Normal greases can flash and burn with the heat created when it flows at that pressure. I have a tube of that at work.

We occasionally use Flourolube at work in oxygen and (pure) chlorine service. It is a controlled product, meaning we sign a tube out when we need it and return it when finished. Coincidentally it is made locally to me and my previous job as a mechanical contractor we used to do a lot of work at the facility it is manufactured at. One time we had to run stainless piping in the lab where the Flourolube is actually made. It was under lock and key, video cameras in every room, and we were supervised every minute we were in the lab. They checked our tools and belongings everytime we entered and left the lab.

At $300 per 16 oz they are quite proud of that stuff!

http://www.gabepro.com/product/specialtylubricants/fluorolube-grease

This grease is used on anything even the carts that roll around carrying the LOX for aircraft. Like it was said anything to do with oxygen Krytox only.
Where I work anyway.

Something I've never forgotten: when I was a youngster, I was able to take some courses at Delaware State Fire School. In a Hazardous Materials class, the instructor filled a jar with pure oxygen. He then held a lit cigarette in the jar (with tongs). The cigarette flashed into brilliant white flame, almost too bright to look at, and then was ash.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
This grease is used on anything even the carts that roll around carrying the LOX for aircraft. Like it was said anything to do with oxygen Krytox only.
Where I work anyway.

What? No grease is used with liquid oxygen.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Where I work anyway.

Cart wheels??

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: kschachn
This grease is used on anything even the carts that roll around carrying the LOX for aircraft. Like it was said anything to do with oxygen Krytox only. Where I work anyway.

Cart wheels??

Oh sorry, yeah maybe. I just saw "LOX" and went nuts I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back