The Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a couple of shots of the Exploder. It's a '99 Eddie Bauer with the 4.0L Cologne SOHC V6 and 5R55E AWD with a 3.73 locker rear end. It's a Mid East export model with a 06/21/1999 build date and has about 70k miles on the clock.

Stuff done so far:

- Replaced all AC components with all OE Ford/Motorcraft parts, since it was picked up with no AC
- Motorcraft Plugs and ignition wires
- Motorcaft air filter
- OE Ford intake manifold gaskets
- OE thermostat and thermostat housing
- Motorcraft Coolant hoses and radiator cap
- Motorcraft IAC valve
- Motorcaft oil pressure switch
- PCV valve and hose assembly
- Lower ball joints
- Front stabilizer bar bushings
- OE Ford front/rear brake pads
- Front/rear brake hoses replaced as a precautionary measure
- Flushed old brake fluid out with DOT 4 Plus
- Coolant flush with G-05
- Motorcraft Mercon V, Motorcraft filter with aluminum oil pan with drain plug
- Mobil 1 75W-90 LS Front/rear differential fluid with Motorcraft XL-3 additive
- Changed transfer case fluid with Motorcraft Mercon V
- Continental CrossContact LX tires (255/70R16 111T)

Other stuff:

- Recall 03S03: Cruise control cable replacement
- Recall 03S04: Driver's seat recliner bolt replacement
- TSB 03-24-1: Overlay harness for side airbags to address DTC B1998

Stuff left to do:

- Replace cruise control buttons
- Replace leaf springs

Oil wise, a steady diet of Mobil 1 0W-40 and a Motorcraft FL-1A, although I'm trying out German Castrol Edge 0W-40 for my next oil change in ~500 miles.

6r3ltl.jpg

wk0jt2.jpg

2ly4mk4.jpg

2yya8va.jpg

dhbh29.jpg

x1k96v.jpg

o6gxgy.jpg

i3riic.jpg

Nice job Falcon_LS!

One thing caught my attention ... from my knowledge, and Motorcrafts online informations you shouldn't use Mercon V in a transfer cases.

Here is the link for you, scroll down to Mercon V product:

http://www.fordparts.com/products/chemicals-transmissionfluids.aspx

Other members with more experience avout Ford tranfer cases may chime in and have valuable advise for you.

I personally would change it out for Motorcraft® Transfer Case Fluid.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: J611
Nice job Falcon_LS!

One thing caught my attention ... from my knowledge, and Motorcrafts online informations you shouldn't use Mercon V in a transfer cases.

Other members with more experience avout Ford tranfer cases may chime in and have valuable advise for you.

Cheers
That explorer is sweet but i think the transfer case takes motorcraft transfer case fluid or valvoline transfer case fluid not mercon v.

You should probably change the Mercon V out of the transfer case if yours has the automatic 4WD feature. There were some incidents of transfer case damage when Mercon V was used on auto4wd transfer cases. The clutch material used to apply the automatic 4wd had a tendency to break down and come apart with that fluid. If yours is a manual 4WD (electric shift is fine, just not Auto4WD) system, there is generally no problem as there are no clutches present. Ford made a blanket statement not to use Mercon V in any transfer case, but it is only the higher end models with the auto feature that have issues.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Cleanest Explorer in the world right there!
Great job, and great pics!

Thanks, Colt!

Originally Posted By: Kira
Coming on it's 17th birthday.....How lovely.

Your Explorer is inspirational.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: J611
Nice job Falcon_LS!

Cheers

Originally Posted By: joegreen
That explorer is sweet but i think the transfer case takes motorcraft transfer case fluid or valvoline transfer case fluid not mercon v.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
You should probably change the Mercon V out of the transfer case if yours has the automatic 4WD feature. There were some incidents of transfer case damage when Mercon V was used on auto4wd transfer cases. The clutch material used to apply the automatic 4wd had a tendency to break down and come apart with that fluid. If yours is a manual 4WD (electric shift is fine, just not Auto4WD) system, there is generally no problem as there are no clutches present. Ford made a blanket statement not to use Mercon V in any transfer case, but it is only the higher end models with the auto feature that have issues.

Thank you for pointing that out. The owner's manual calls for Mercon, and since it is no longer available, and Mercon V being its successor, I went ahead and used Mercon V. I also checked with a Master Tech at the dealer who's a good friend of mine and he said the warning for transfer cases that use clutch packs - the Borg Warner 4404 I have does not.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I'd like to see some shots of the undercarriage.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
+1

Sure, I'll take some photographs for you next time I wash it. Kind of ironic coming from people who live in a region where it snows - this is a desert truck after all, so it is rust free.
wink.gif

That's a beautiful truck; I'm a big Explorer fan, and I've always loved that body style.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Stuff done so far:

The thermostat housings on this engine are notorious for cracking and leaking. I had to replace the housing on my Ranger at 63k miles. I replaced it with an aftermarket housing that's all cast aluminum. I'm keeping my truck for a long time and I didn't want to have to do that job again.

My BIL had a truck that looked EXACTLY like that a couple of years ago...except it was a LOT rustier, being in Canada.

Looks great!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Great looking Explorer (and the matching Pajero too)!

Thank you! The Pajero has the same color combination, albeit a darker shade of green:

28v6feu.jpg

Originally Posted By: exranger06

That's a beautiful truck; I'm a big Explorer fan, and I've always loved that body style.

Stuff done so far:

The thermostat housings on this engine are notorious for cracking and leaking. I had to replace the housing on my Ranger at 63k miles. I replaced it with an aftermarket housing that's all cast aluminum. I'm keeping my truck for a long time and I didn't want to have to do that job again.

Thank you! Seems to be notorious, just like the intake manifolds on the 4.6L. Mind if I ask which aftermarket housing you used? That would greatly help for future reference!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
My BIL had a truck that looked EXACTLY like that a couple of years ago...except it was a LOT rustier, being in Canada.

Looks great!

Thank you! Rust isn't really an issue here, thankfully! Here are some undercarriage photos as requested:

2d6lamq.jpg

aczb80.jpg

6jlk3k.jpg

30lpiy9.jpg

Stuff done so far:

Thank you! Seems to be notorious, just like the intake manifolds on the 4.6L. Mind if I ask which aftermarket housing you used? That would greatly help for future reference!
thumbsup2.gif

I found some old threads on explorerforum.com from around 2013 and a member there said he was going to start making them. He now sells them on eBay, which is where I got mine. His seller name on eBay is simmonsautosportz.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/simmonsautosportz?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

aczb80.jpg

That loop on the crossmember is interesting...don't think I've seen that on US models.

I bet it was put on there for being transported on a car carrier ship.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

That loop on the crossmember is interesting...don't think I've seen that on US models.

I bet it was put on there for being transported on a car carrier ship.

I was wondering the same thing. I saw that and thought "What a good place to tow from." Then I realized I've been under A LOT of Exploders and have never seen that thing. I bet you are right about the ship transport.

My '10 had that as well. New vehicles are generally transported on purpose-built RORO vessels known as Pure Car Carriers, as opposed to containers on LOLO vessels. Once on the vessel, they are usually secured with lashing belts and I assume that was used for that very purpose. It's a real pain to get to though, without raising the truck a bit.

I found some old threads on explorerforum.com from around 2013 and a member there said he was going to start making them. He now sells them on eBay, which is where I got mine. His seller name on eBay is simmonsautosportz.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/simmonsautosportz?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Thank you very much for that information!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back