The case for Synthetics and extended OCI on bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 2003TRD:
My bike shifted smoother with amsoil vs mobil one, but I havent done a mobil one analysis yet.

Interesting, I had the opposite experience with my bike. In that case, shifting was smoother with Mobil 1 than with Amsoil. The version of Mobil 1 I used was their motorcycle specific 10W40.

Ninjaracer, I've ridden HD since '73. Basically done on 3 bikes with lots of at- sea time in Unca Sam's Canoe Club between riding times. First was an AMF XLCH. Had tons of problems, but once I got everything sorted out, it went over 100k miles for me, and is still going strong. Second was a '78 FLH and it went over 200k miles with one top end at 125k miles. It's still running, too. Now have an '87 FLST, over 100k miles and only problem was base gaskets. Not all of us ride to the bar and back. I generally ride to/from work year round at 75 miles a day. Then as a road cap'n for a CMA chapter I ride 200 - 400 miles nearly every weekend. Generally change oil every 2500 - 3000 miles. HD has been veddy,veddy good to me!

It's nice to see someone stick up for Harley.

There are so many of them around they all cannot be garbage. I don't think it is the brand so much as the bad name it gets from some of its owners.

I, too, have talked to Harley owners who have put amazing mileage on their machines.

It's just too bad we have to have the anti-harley and anti-japanese segments of the population.

As a Japanese bike owner for years and years, I have been severly snubbed by many Harley owners but still run into enough 'real' ones not to let it bug me too much.

quote:

I followed him 30 miles to the shop in my car one day last month. He was getting the rear tire replaced, and needed to leave the bike. Outside temp was 23 degrees F.

That's what Gerbing suits are for! I rode this past winter down to a low of 18 degrees - plenty warm, but watching for ice and changing conditions is a drag.

Back to oil : I recently installed a oil line off the crankcase drain bolt on my BMW K1100. I have an offline filter & pump setup that I can filter the sump down to a micron or so. I haven't decided on an OCI, but 6k - 10k is what I'm thinking.

quote:

Originally posted by RJCorazza:

quote:

I followed him 30 miles to the shop in my car one day last month. He was getting the rear tire replaced, and needed to leave the bike. Outside temp was 23 degrees F.

That's what Gerbing suits are for! I rode this past winter down to a low of 18 degrees - plenty warm, but watching for ice and changing conditions is a drag.

Back to oil : I recently installed a oil line off the crankcase drain bolt on my BMW K1100. I have an offline filter & pump setup that I can filter the sump down to a micron or so. I haven't decided on an OCI, but 6k - 10k is what I'm thinking.

That's cool. Maybe go 5 or 6K and do a UOA and see where the oils at.

I had a 1986 883 and rode the thing like a sportbike. I never gave any troubles for the 20K or so I rode it. I bored the motor 1/2" over and made it a 1200 with a set of Andrews cams and some port work the last year or so I had the bike. I think I liked the 883 better than the 1200. Now thw frame is mocked up with a 350 Chevy sitting sideways like an EJ Potter bike.

Right now I'm digging my '99 Honda VFR but am thinking about trading it for a '00 Buell. The bikes are very different but the end product is about the same for a sport touring bike.

I hope my Amsoil don't turn into pee water. The Rotella T never did.

I think that true motorcyclists don't look down on a fellow cycler because of his choice of bike. The guys who want to put others down because of what they ride are not worth riding with. I know plenty of Harley snobs. I won't ride with them. I also know some guys who think Harleys are crap. Most of them are inexperienced riders who are unsafe to ride with.

I'd much prefer to share the road with a talented, experienced rider on a Suzuki than some RUB on an HD.

My bud and I switch bikes every now and then, just to see what the other is missing.

And I think that you haven't truly lived until you've cranked the throttle wide open on a Hayabusa...
shocked.gif
'Course that might be one of your last acts of life if you don't know what you're doing!
grin.gif

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
I'd much prefer to share the road with a talented, experienced rider on a Suzuki than some RUB on an HD.

Dan

Are you calling my a bad name (RUB?) because I have a Honda?

quote:

Originally posted by pococj:
Ninjaracer, I've ridden HD since '73. Basically done on 3 bikes with lots of at- sea time in Unca Sam's Canoe Club between riding times. First was an AMF XLCH. Had tons of problems, but once I got everything sorted out, it went over 100k miles for me, and is still going strong. Second was a '78 FLH and it went over 200k miles with one top end at 125k miles. It's still running, too. Now have an '87 FLST, over 100k miles and only problem was base gaskets. Not all of us ride to the bar and back. I generally ride to/from work year round at 75 miles a day. Then as a road cap'n for a CMA chapter I ride 200 - 400 miles nearly every weekend. Generally change oil every 2500 - 3000 miles. HD has been veddy,veddy good to me!

I've grown up around bikes to pretty large degree, started riding at 11 raced motocross, owned more than a few bikes over the years. I guess I've been given so much crap about riding a Japanese bike I'm probably a little jaded, but I have met so Harley guys that just enjoy riding, so I shouldn't paint with a broad brush. Mt brother has a 1976 Harley FXE, it's in great shape but I'm not sure how many miles it has on it. He hates the newer Harley's, anything after 1980 which I believe is the Evolution motors, he says the old ones sound better but I can't tell a difference. His bike shall we say "marks it's territory" he said that he's tried everything he can think of and can't stop the leak. I guess myself, like many people my age started off on Japanese bikes when we were very young and because they've never given us any trouble over the years we're pretty partial.

Oh yes, back to oil. Who here will try the new Amsoil M/C oils and tell us what you think
smile.gif

I like RJCorazza's set up for a by-pass set up for a bike. Sort of like a briggs engine filters oil. I must make a note and work of something like that next winter along with cruise control. An Amsoil filter adaptor and a small electric pump should do the trick. Or maybe even just tap pressurized oil from an oil cooler line and return it though the drain plug via a banjo bolt.

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
Harley Davidson became interested in the '87 model Tour Glide when it was "torn down out of curiosity" at 240,000 miles. Tilley's Harley Davidson, and Curly's Harley Davidson in Winston Salem, NC are both familiar with the bike, and I spoke to one of the mechanics present when that engine was looked into. They did replace a cam at that time, as one of the lobes was showing wear. Harley got interested in the bike at that time, and they did track the progress of the bike from that point forward. At that time, the plan was to see if it would make 400,000 miles. When it did, HD wanted it for thier museum in Milwaukee.

There was one other 80+ year old rider who also rode an Evo Harley over 450,000 miles during this same time period--again, with no major engine trouble. Both riders went with 2500 mile OCI's on Harley 20W50 dino oil. As an aside, the elder rider used a sidecar, and didn't even begin riding a motorcycle until he was well into his sixties.
smile.gif

There was a thread here with more details on each of these motorcycles, as taken from American Iron Magazine. The thread got deleted by admin when it became a lightning rod for folks who had an axe to grind against HD's.
frown.gif

Dan

I have no axe to grind, but 240,000 miles is not all that impressive on a vehicle that can hardley rev to 5,000 rpm and does most it's cruising at probably 2,000 rpm. If people are that impressed by that 1 bike then I certainly would question Harley's overall reliability. Now you show me a bike like the 900rr in California that went I think 300,000 miles. Keep in mind that bike cruises down the highway at higher engine speeds than most Harley's can even redline too. Also I've heard many stories of BMW's that go 500,000 to 1 million miles. Once again the only reason the Harley is special is because that many miles on a Harley is not the norm, which is kinda sad. I'm sure they're great bikes to cruise on, and I've met a few Harley guys that are ultra-cool and do ride longer distances. Most are arrogant and very rude. If I've learned anything on BITOG it's that ANYTHING will last a very long time if you change the oil within 3,000 miles. I think it's great that most people on this site are trying to conserve by running extended OCI's.

Also I do want to strangle guys that buy Harley's and are afraid to ride because the value will go down... DUDE !! It's a Harley, they make 300,000 a year, it's not a 1970 Hemi Cuda, never will be. I guess those kind of people are who my previous rant was aimed to. no offense to "real" riders here.

Ninja,

I've got a buddy who had a 2003 Road King custom for two years. He put 28 miles (not 28,000--but twenty-eight miles
rolleyes.gif
) on it in that time.

I agree. Machines are made to be used. Buying something and letting it set around is a foolish waste of money. Lots of HD owners just want the thing to say they have one. I think many are actually afraid to get out there... My bud sold that bike and lost about 2500 dollars on it if I recall correctly. He was lucky he didn't lose more than that.

Harley has caught up with production, and huge mark-ups by dealers seem to be a thing of the past. You can actually get a used one now for a lot less than they used to cost. That allows folks who appreciate the bikes to ride, rather than fondle, to afford them.
smile.gif
I found my '94 Low Rider for 9000 dollars--not long after I turned down a '92 Low Rider on a dealer's floor for 11,500.
smile.gif

I don't own any sport bikes--but am considering a deal on an '83 GSX 1100E for 2000 dollars.
smile.gif
Another friend of mine (whom I ride with all the time) rides an '04 Hayabusa. He's put about 5500 miles on it since he got it last summer--and he rides rain or shine, **** or high water. I followed him 30 miles to the shop in my car one day last month. He was getting the rear tire replaced, and needed to leave the bike. Outside temp was 23 degrees F.
shocked.gif

Dan

quote:

The redline 5w-30 seems a bit thin, but I'm interested to see how it comes out. I've been interested in using an ester based oil for it's cleaning properties. [/QB]

I chose the 5w30 for my spring & early summer riding. Here in Michigan I do a lot of riding in temps in the high 30's & low 40's. I'll problably have 3k miles racked up by May, after that I usually switch to 10w40 weight. I would never run anything heavier...I feel that the oil needs to get to the camshafts asap. 20w50 is way too thick for my bike.

BTW...went for a ride yesterday & was very happy with the initial feel of the smooth shifting with the new Redline.

bmw says not use synthetic in my bike, and to go 6000 miles on the oil.

running a blend (and some of diesel) right now with a bit of lc. we'll see how that goes. i might pull an analysis this summer.

cheers.gif

'05 f650cs (rotax engine).

just got my filters yesterday and changed the engine oil last night. hit the break in mileage this past weekend.

man, there was a lot of metal on the magnetic drain plug.

cheers.gif

quote:

I like RJCorazza's set up for a by-pass set up for a bike.

Thanks. It's not really a bypass... I take the oil out of the crankcase via the tapped bolt & hose to the Shurflow (oil rated) pump, to the Frantz filter, and back to the crankcase fill. I think they call that a kidney loop. I would prefer to have a real bypass mounted on the bike, but there is no good place for it
frown.gif

It's going to be in the mid 60's today & I'm looking forward to a nice ride!!!

so when is the new amsoil motorcycle oils supposed to be out? I was just on their site and it is still the cheaper priced oil

I was told they will be available this Friday, April 1st ....

Main improvement is in shear stability in wet clutch applications - especially the 10w-40 - along with significantly better protection from rust/corrosion during off season storage....

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back