The best dex 3 atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not necessarily looking for the best Dex 3, I'm just curious what people are using. I've had some unfavorable results with some of the fluids I've tried recently and I'd like to find something that works well. I would really like to use Dex VI but I'm hesitant after hearing stories about it not being compatible with some Viton seals.

Allison has released a service bulletin about that seal issue, saying that they don't want DexVI to be ran in their older transmissions (don't remember what year they said), but the ones made for the past couple of years are ok to run with DexVI.

I asked Whitewolf about the issue, and he said that it amounted to politics, but didn't elaborate much. Personally, I wouldn't worry at all about using DexVI in any GM automotive application... maybe there would be issues with other brands?

Originally Posted By: brian12

I would really like to use Dex VI but I'm hesitant after hearing stories about it not being compatible with some Viton seals.

Who told you that? The DEXRON-VI specification includes Viton seal testing requirements.
It's true that when the DEXRON-VI fluids were being validated a certain group of people (who I cannot name) did notice some seal problems but it turned out that the only reason they noticed the problem was because they looked. In other words they already had a seal problem but it had previously gone unnoticed.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Dualie
CHEVRON MD-3 hands down.

That's the cheapest for sure.

It's a great fluid, and it's not the cheapest from what I have seen.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
My T45 loves Chevron MD-3.

It did not love Valvoline Dex/Merc or M1 ATF.

That could be because since the obsolete 'DEXRON-III' fluids are no longer controlled you could be buying just anything!

I can't believe I am going to say this but the very best Dexron ATF I have ever used was the DexronVI sold at the GM dealer. I believe it is made by Petro Canada because it says made in Canada on the bottle. Filled my brothers 1995 Suburban 4L60 with it (150,000 miles) and it shifted like new. All the cold weather shudder was gone immediately.
thumbsup2.gif
After that experience I wouldn't even consider using DexIII again.

Originally Posted By: PT1
I can't believe I am going to say this but the very best Dexron ATF I have ever used was the DexronVI sold at the GM dealer. I believe it is made by Petro Canada because it says made in Canada on the bottle. Filled my brothers 1995 Suburban 4L60 with it (150,000 miles) and it shifted like new. All the cold weather shudder was gone immediately.
thumbsup2.gif
After that experience I wouldn't even consider using DexIII again.

I told you
cheers3.gif

I used the Napa Dex 3 for 150K miles on my Avalon with no problems. I changed to the Valvoline Dex 6 to see if I could tell any difference.....no difference that I can feel....

I'm sorry, I really was not trying to be a smart arse but I'm glad that you have realised the truth.

Last edited:
Would like to know what everyone thinks is the best dexron 3 fluid.

Castrol Transynd. Best Dexron III fluid on the market.

My power steering unit loves M1 ATF.

My 4R70W loves M1 ATF.

My T45 doesn't, it loves MD-3.
frown.gif

My power steering unit loves M1 ATF.

My 4R70W loves M1 ATF.

My T45 doesn't, it loves MD-3.
frown.gif

What does it do when you run the M1? I've heard the M1 is grippy and makes for a pretty firm shift.

It feels notchier on M1, and especially first thing in the morning the trans feels like it is doing you a favor to shift.

It's also more prone to a quick grind on a speed shift when warm.

The MD-3 does great when cold or on speed shifts. It was the magic fix in my case. I've never seen a fluid change make such a big difference, and neither the M1 or Valvoline were in there long.

Valvoline Dex/Merc was worse than the M1.

But like I said, my auto trans loves M1 ATF. Always has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back