The 84K mile oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
37.gif

Lol, Same here
37.gif

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
My F150 was worse than that when I bought it. Wish I had pictures to show.

The same F150 in your signature? What did you do to clean it up, and how's it running now?

Originally Posted By: sicko
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
My F150 was worse than that when I bought it. Wish I had pictures to show.

The same F150 in your signature? What did you do to clean it up, and how's it running now?

Yep.

I removed the intake, valve covers, timing cover and oil pan and scraped out as much crud (via screwdriver, hook, pick and shop vac) as I could. It filled a 5 gallon bucket and then some.

Once I put it back together and got it running, small particles would fall down and partially block the oil pump pickup. The oil pressure gauge consistently rocked back and forth.

So, I went and bought about 2 gallons of diesel fuel, drained the motor oil, poured the diesel fuel in, drained it and filtered it through a paint strainer probably about 20 times until it came out clear and without particles. I did not start it up with the diesel fuel in it. It was just used as a carrier to remove the particles and I found it to be an excellent carrier.

After that, I filled it up with oil, started it and it ran fine and I got about two years out of it, which was enough time to complete the build of other engine I had on the engine stand to swap it over into it.

It had a startup rattle, but filters with a silicone ADBV eliminated that.

I bought the truck for $625 with intentions from day 1 to put another engine in it (and really had nothing to lose with what I did), so the two years I got out of the old engine was a bonus.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I've seen one of those in person. The local Kia dealer called me and asked me to come look and if I could explain why it ended up like that.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I bet the car owner "Will never buy an Audi again - they are junk!"

Or... great cars, 5 years and ZERO maintenance...!

Wonder if the owner ever ADDED any oil...?

Originally Posted By: Planb
PYB will clean that up fine. Nothing to worry about.

I was thinking that too.. few 5k runs with PYB and a orange fram and that would be cleaner after than probably 65% of the engines on the road.

Why is this such a big surprise and cause for disgust among all you BITOG members? Isn't this site dedicated to squeezing the last bit of life out of every ounce of oil? I think this Audi owner might be eligible for some kind of BITOG award. How about our esteemed member Pitzel who brags about running his engine for 6 years and 45K miles without an oil change? Said he would do it again. Did not see one post after his (except mine) that told him that might be a bad idea. My guess is the Audi owner was a BITOG forum member and was just trying to fit in with the crowd.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Why is this such a big surprise and cause for disgust among all you BITOG members? Isn't this site dedicated to squeezing the last bit of life out of every ounce of oil?

Nope.

He didn't "squeeze the last bit of life out of his oil". He abused his car by driving it for years, AFTER the oil was stone cold dead.

Try again.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Why is this such a big surprise and cause for disgust among all you BITOG members? Isn't this site dedicated to squeezing the last bit of life out of every ounce of oil?

Nope.

He didn't "squeeze the last bit of life out of his oil". He abused his car by driving it for years, AFTER the oil was stone cold dead.

Try again.

Sarcasm detection : fail

beer3.gif

I have seen that before and the cleaning leads to bearing failure. *shakes head*. Why an owner would neglect a machine like that is beyond me. Wait, no it is not. Idiot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Nope.

Try again.

Come on now. I know there are some BITOG members who would recover the oil from that engine and send it in for a UOA. Maybe, just maybe, it was good for a few more miles.

Last edited:
Great way to maintain a $48,000+ car. Wonder how the bearings and rings / cylinders look?

Originally Posted By: xtell
Great way to maintain a $48,000+ car. Wonder how the bearings and rings / cylinders look?

i bet the rings and bearings are in better shape than you think. Ive seen a couple 5.4L fords sludged this bad and the bearings still looked good. One could probably replace the oil pump, pickup tube, timing chain and gears, clean the pan good, and Scrape/pressure wash the head clean and it would probably keep running with fresh oil changes. That is assuming this engine hasn't blown up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back