Thanks Pennzoil and USPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Sopus can't get lids tight on bottles. I have had quarts from autozone leak when laid on the side. It wasn't totally the shippings fault.

The lid was tight. Literally air tight. I explained a couple posts ago that it looked like the container had been squeezed or smashed with enough force to push oil past the cap seal, but normal atmosphere wasn't enough force to let air back into the container to displace the lost oil. Hence the bottle hissing and expanding when I actually broke the cap seal to see how tight it was. This was 100% the result of poor package handling.

No leaks, no squeaks on my mailorder from WM. Probably random dumb luck.

That "HEAVY" labeling likely ensures special handling by delivery personnel.
smile.gif

PUP.jpg

Kendall Grey bottle has the seal under the caps, I've mail ordered three cases and ZERO LEAKS. FWIW.

I get to inspect any of the oil bottles I buy from retail stores. So it's not too hard to find jugs of any brand that aren't leaking. This one incident isn't going to prevent me from buying SOPUS products. I've had several jugs of their oil in the basement for the past year. No leaks. I guess if you can't blame them on the rebates...get them on the packaging.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I get to inspect any of the oil bottles I buy from retail stores. So it's not too hard to find jugs of any brand that aren't leaking. This one incident isn't going to prevent me from buying SOPUS products. I've had several jugs of their oil in the basement for the past year. No leaks. I guess if you can't blame them on the rebates...get them on the packaging.

This one incident certainly won't prevent me from buying any SOPUS products, unlike some other people here...*cough*

I truly don't blame Pennzoil for this. The sender could have put the jug in a sealed plastic bag, like they did for 6 of the other quarts, but they didn't. USPS could have not tossed the packaging around, but they did. I've ordered a LOT of oil from Amazon and this is the first issue I have ever had. It's also, coincidentally, the first time the package was delivered by USPS...hmmm...
whistle.gif

In any case, I'm hoping the new Pennzoil bottles are a little better designed for helping to prevent oil being squeezed out around the cap.

Originally Posted By: mdtaylor86
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

This one incident certainly won't prevent me from buying any SOPUS products, unlike some other people here...*cough*

I truly don't blame Pennzoil for this. The sender could have put the jug in a sealed plastic bag, like they did for 6 of the other quarts, but they didn't. USPS could have not tossed the packaging around, but they did. I've ordered a LOT of oil from Amazon and this is the first issue I have ever had. It's also, coincidentally, the first time the package was delivered by USPS...hmmm...
whistle.gif

In any case, I'm hoping the new Pennzoil bottles are a little better designed for helping to prevent oil being squeezed out around the cap.

I agree.

I would think if this was as serious a problem as made out to be on this forum, wouldn't it be happening to WalMart as well? I don't think WalMart would want to keep selling SOPUS products if X amount leak during the shipping, that's a lot of loss profit considering how many stores they have and my WM's shelves are DOMINATED by SOPUS products.

Autozone and AAP would probably also be dealing with the same thing. I really don't think any of these companies would deal with SOPUS if this was a legit issue.

Like I said, I've worked at UPS, and no matter who it is: FedEx, USPS, UPS, they all mishandle your packages. It's usually not during the loading, but usually the unloading. When I first started out I was in unload before they found out I was fast and they stuck me down in load in the bulk area ( >:[ ). There would always be a couple of boxes tossed and depending how hard of a hit could damage the product. It's sad that people did it but it certainly happens everywhere.

Also keep in mind this is peak season with everyone ordering everything. Around this time the package cars are usually stuffed and usually there is no room for the driver to walk. There's only so much shelf space before you gotta start packing the floor and hope your tetris skills allows you to pack the car and not have any left over that can't fit in the truck. Plenty of times I've seen these packages move around and bang on the package cars as well.

Needless to say, there are a lot of factors

Last edited:
Yeah ... after a few ventures into motor oils from Amazon - I'm back to buy in town with the exception of special lubes ...
Redline for my transfer cases arrives bagged - and Delvac 1 for my Eaton has been well sealed ...
Both foam peanut packed ...

Ordered a 5-quart jug of PUP 5W30 from Walmart and picked it up at a local store. It was shipped in a sturdy box with plenty of bubble packs and an external seal on the cap that was secured to the jug. Apparently, Walmart is aware of the leakage problem on Pennzoil containers.

This is something that should be addressed by Pennzoil. Seals are inexpensive!

Now that Walmart has rolled back PP to $19.97/jug ($1.99/qt after $10 rebate) let's see how many "complaints" show up.

cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back