> than normal "silverish" particles in oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an Mobil 1 Syn oil change performed approx 1500 MILES, after a long trip (Seattle to LA) with moderate to aggressive driving (supercharged etc..)

During the oil change, I noticed that there was a good bit of 'silversih' deposits attached to the OIL PLUG *MANGET*. As the oil drained out, it slooked pretty good; I ran my hand through it and didn't notice that. Generally, it has very little or more darkish deposits when I change the oil (1 - 3k miles).

A bit more data - I had a mix of Mobil 1 Syn & Mobil Clean 5000 Non-Syn on the way down, for approx 1500 miles (I ran out of syn.. erghh right before the trip) During the trip, I noticed that at one point, under heavy acceleration, a light flickered on for a second, and as soon as I got off the gas, it didn't flicker on. Speculation is that it could have been either the CEL (more likely) or Low Oil Pressure (less likely). Engine Water Temp looked good and oil level was good, no smoke from tailpipe, and power seemd normal (although I was a lot easier on it)

As soon as I got to LA, I quickly had the oil changed (as mentioned) since I didn't want to take risks, and the shop did a brief look over, and everything looked ok. A Compression or Leak Down Test was not performed. However, a 'dyno' was performed and the car came in very strong, as strong as before the trip.

The engine is an alluminum engine (Honda) with 84K miles at the moment. I am sending this particular oil down for analysis, however, I wanted to get additional thoughts beforehand. I'll do a comp check in a few days and copmare since the comp check came out very good a few months back...

I would like to think that, because of the trip, there is higher than normal wear though normal. It woudl have been nice, but I forgot to ask.. to have the oil that was flushed out when the 'light' turned on.
frown.gif

Thanks ahead of time.

Since you pulled a sample (very smart), that's about all you can do until you get the results. I would send the sample to Terry Dyson.

Probably don't have the filter to cut open?

On one hand it could be nothing - sometimes seeing a bit of metal is nothing or It could be that something is starting to go. I probably would avoid dyno runs and hard acceleration until the results are in, or park the car if possible. The only other thing I suggest in the mean time would be a leak down test, but chances are it won't give you any more clues about the oil appearance.

Most of the stuff on that magnetic drain plug is stuff you would normaly not see at all so donot let it get you alaramed. Now if you have always ran a magnetic drain plug and never had thatmuch build up on it before I can see your concern. In the future you minght want to drop the magnetic drain plug for one OCI and instead of UOA get the filter checked. You basicly take the filter off bag it in a ziplock bag and send it off. The lab will take the oil filter apart and look at the media under magnification and count particle's size and type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back