Texas State Troopers Begin “Waistline Enforcement”

Im not going to knock overweight police officers, I have a lot of respect for officers.
Yes, I do agree with Texas, they need to be fit and what they are doing sounds reasonable.
The police officers are just a refection of our society in general and dont hold it against them or make fun of them unless your going to make fun of the other 60% of the people in this country.

Americans poison themselves to death on fast food/junk food and improper eating habits then rely on doctors and drug companies to keep them alive while they complain about the costs of being kept alive. It drives me nuts.
The majority of Americans know what is healthy and what isnt but they chose to ignore that. Corporations have the human brain figured out how to get their garbage fast fried food into their customers at massive price mark ups/profits.
I totally agree with you on everything you say. I too have A LOT of respect for LEO.
BUT, when they are called out for a crime and said bad guy/girl starts running from them, how long is the LEO that is obese going to keep up with said bad guy/girl to try and capture him/her?
True, not EVERY LEO is overweight. But it would sure make those that are a much better LEO in every aspect of their life.
About 80% of the local LEO here in the Parish I live in are obese. State Troopers, about 25%.

Personally, I know the expansion of my waist size over the past decades is largely due a lack of self discipline. Self discipline seems to be a prerequisite characteristic for those carrying a badge. Just sayin.
So true. My waistline isn't NOTHING like it was in the Army (29"-30"). But it sure isn't over 40" either.
I stayed in pretty good shape until my accident. Then it was goodbye waistline. A LOT of it was in my head about thinking I would never be like I was before. I was feeling like that here at BITOG a few years ago when I received my 1 year vacation from here. I'm almost sure that LEO go thru the same thing and let common things go to HE** (eating, exercise, etc.). They just need to pick themselves back up and get back to how they were before.
A LEO most likely has the same mentality as a soldier in war when they both have to take out the bad guy. :(

Yeah, a single waistline number isn't really a great measurement of fitness for larger people... If they can pass some relevant endurance and fitness tests for duty then what does it matter?
As long as that waistline isn't hanging over one's belt.

Back