Testing Fridge Evaporator Fan Motor

Dang, this was an easy one, but not using resistance:

I also found these comments in a very quick search: "as the fan motor WR60X10185 is a DC voltage motor, testing is best done by testing for voltage. If the fan motor is receiving 12VDC when testing from the white wire (black meter probe) to the red wire (red meter probe) and it is not rotating, the motor has failed and would need to be replaced. "

"Remember it is a variable speed DC motor so a resistance check through the motor will NOT work."

Last edited:
Thank you @doitmyself

I think motor has failed - should I replace it with Amazon/eBay replacement part or get a used one or bite the bullet and get a GE part?

Anyone has experience with Amazon/eBay replacement parts?

I had to put one of those on my old Maytag refrigerator. I used an OEM one that I sourced from repairclinic.com.

Thank you @doitmyself

I think motor has failed - should I replace it with Amazon/eBay replacement part or get a used one or bite the bullet and get a GE part?

Anyone has experience with Amazon/eBay replacement parts?
Judgement call. Not on this part, but sometimes I go OEM and sometimes China cheap as can get - $52 vs. about $20 delivered for your part here. If the fridge is in excellent condition and you estimate it has a long life, I would go OEM. If you are just trying to keep it alive for another year, China cheap. I'm biased to avoid used ones - not sure why.

Just 2 months ago I was shopping for a new fridge to replace ours that was operating at about 50F degrees. I tested every component and found nothing defective. I thought that once the freon dropped in pressure, it was replacement time. YouTube taught me how to recharge the system for about $25 (guage-applicator, freon, bullet piercing valve). It's been running great! And, I avoided buying something I didn't want (supplies are low).

I diagnosed that my compressor was still running. Bought the following parts: $15, $5, $5
1626986122830.png
1626986189734.png
1626986282197.png

Following internet/YouTube instructions, you tap into the low pressure side and fill to about 2 - 3 lbs. pressure and NOT over. There's a few tricks to do, if anyone wants to know, I'll post a few notes. I installed about 2.5 ounces in my system that holds about 5 oz. total. The bullet piercing valve is the key component to make it a DIY project. Yes, somewhat hack methodology, but it works!

Last edited:
Back