Tesla just laid off entire new vehicle team and supercharging team

This was after Tesla recieved $17 million in federal grants from the current administration. We shall see where this goes. The only time I've seen this type of mega slashing of entire departments was when a company was in financial trouble. Reminds me of Sears. Supercharging was the one thing that gave Tesla a leg up on their competitors.

They could make more profit from the superchargers than from selling cars :unsure:
This is why I'm irked that a bunch of the legacy auto makers are going to include nacs adapters for their products. You don't want Tesla having control over other brands charging. It reminds me of the M1A2 Abrams tanks that Australia, and I think New Zealand purchased. They didn't get any of the classified ceramic armor that the US version has.

This is why I'm irked that a bunch of the legacy auto makers are going to include nacs adapters for their products. You don't want Tesla having control over other brands charging. It reminds me of the M1A2 Abrams tanks that Australia, and I think New Zealand purchased. They didn't get any of the classified ceramic armor that the US version has.
Exactly. I prefer CCS, personally. For functional reasons and also this.

Thankfully the public now essentially owns the Tesla style plug - officially SAE J3400. Tesla isn’t needed anymore. 👍 The nearest Electrify America to me is a newer station, been only open a few months. Reviews are stellar on PlugShare - very reliable. They’ll be adding the J3400 plugs to current CCS stations over time. At least that was the plan…. Who knows, maybe automakers and charger companies will reconsider since Elon is such a flake.

It’s actually a shame Tesla has been getting awarded Federal NEVI sites. Their hardware can’t handle 800v EVs at full amperage.

GM was next to get Supercharger access. But it would only hurt their Ultium trucks. Silverado EV/SierraEV/Hummer EV charge WAY faster on a 350kW CCS1 station than they could ever charge on current Tesla stations.

Last edited:
Elon is the only guy that can convince people that failure is success
People knew this when they sign up to work for Elon. You don't work for him because you want the best pay (he is stingy even compare to Jeff Bezos for the same workload) or the best work life balance (again, probably worse than Meta and Amazon). If you want to get into a new field and grow fast probably yes, but not for money or WLB. If you want to learn something for your next job after Tesla, it is a good place.

The same reason I wouldn't buy his car. I like mine 10 year behind in tech and bullet proof reliable.

Entire team laid off…. or a substantial cut of employees ?

It would be crazy to get rid of all employees on this team.

Elon says they’re gonna focus on expanding current sites and open fewer new location. How do you do that when you get rid of nearly everyone 🤷🏼‍♂️ I don’t know.

I kinda believe that could be a good idea. Some of these city sites can get overwhelmed with traffic. They should be bigger.

On the other hand, I’m in the upper midwest and I always peep rural interstate Supercharger locations that I can see from the freeway. There’s RARELY more than one car charging. I don’t believe for a second those sites are more than minimally profitable.

People knew this when they sign up to work for Elon. You don't work for him because you want the best pay (he is stingy even compare to Jeff Bezos for the same workload) or the best work life balance (again, probably worse than Meta and Amazon). If you want to get into a new field and grow fast probably yes, but not for money or WLB. If you want to learn something for your next job after Tesla, it is a good place.

The same reason I wouldn't buy his car. I like mine 10 year behind in tech and bullet proof reliable.

This is what being loyal and giving 120% gets you.

That Musk is a mercurial leader is inarguable.
That Tesla has succeeded in a tough business gaining large unit volume with an unconventional product line at premium prices under Musk's leadership is also inarguable.
I do wonder what he had in mind in canning an entire team dedicated to making EVs more usable for most owners and prospects as well as offering a profitable revenue stream for the company.
Is there a rational strategy here or did someone senior in the team simply disagree with Musk on the wrong issue at the wrong time?

Back