Telegram app

Hi all,

While I'm fairly technically able and keep up with stuff, I've never heard of or used the telegram app before. The only reason is that I commented on a Car Trek YouTube video where I've watched every video thus far. If bitogers aren't aware Car Trek took three well known automotive youtubers and had them compete in various challenges. Over the last couple of years the episodes are fewer and fewer. The most recent series was one 1 hour and 25 minute episode vs seven videos that were previously filmed. I was messaged by Tavarish that said I've won a prize at random for commenting. Supposedly the telegram app hides your personal information but allows for communication. Now there are a ton of scams out there, but there are alot of legitimate times people do actually get sent free swag for following. Has anyone actually used the Telegram app to communicate or is it legitimate,

Thanks

Telegram, like WhatsApp, Signal, Facebook Messenger or Google Chat is perfectly legitimate. The things that people say and do using these platforms is up to the people themselves and may be less legitimate.

Am I correct in understanding this? You commented on a YouTube video and then someone from the YouTube channel contacted you via YouTube's messaging service or through Telegram?

Telegram is legit. It seems to be used by folks looking for more "security" or privacy, especially compared to basic tools like SMS. Outside of the US, apps like WhatsApp and Telegram are much, much more popular for texting because they have many more features and you don't run into Android vs Apple issues.

As for the message you rec'd, as others have said, it sounds fishy. I'd delete it and move on.

I received a message from Tavarish's channel from what it looks like. Youtubers do give away real merch from time to time. Sometimes you'll see a YouTube video and they will mention that they'll give away stuff. Kinda torn on this one. I'm not really sure how to differentiate on YouTube whether it's the real deal. I have commented on previous videos and have received a response from the Project Farm guy. I mentioned a year ago or so that he hasn't tested wiper blades. He mentions in his videos that many of the tests are veiwer ideas. Not sure.

That's too bad if it's a scam. It makes legitimate people seem untrustworthy.

stay away from Telegram just a headache

if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is

We're talking about two different things here. Telegram the messaging app is perfectly legit, however in this case scammers are using it to bait people into contacting them through Telegram to carry out a scam. It's no different than if they asked you to email or text them.

Tavarish posted this to the Community tab on his channel about 4 hrs ago:
tavarish scam.png

I've seen similar warnings over the past several months on almost every automotive channel with a large subscriber base that i watch.

Here's Mighty Car mods 6 mos. ago:
MCM scam.jpg

I've seen Similar Msgs from Mike Finnegan, and more.
I basically classify those msgs as a spam bot, and have seen them reply to almost every comment in a video's thread with the same msg, along the lines of:
hi! this is (content creator of this channel), you've won a prize, contact me on telegram!

If you have a Youtube account, you registered it with an email address. If it's truly a random giveaway to a subscriber, that is how most of them will contact you.

Last edited:
I received a message from Tavarish's channel from what it looks like.
This person could have replied to your comment (on YouTube) with something as simple as "Hey, I'm going to contact you privately".

Reactions: Y_K
stay away from Telegram just a headache

if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is
I've used it for years and find it fixes common incompatibility problems with sending messages between iPhone and Android based phones. I use it just for IM, pictures, and videos and see no ads. Snapchat could serve the same purpose, but I find Snapchat to be extreme bloatware and filled to the brim with ads.

Common denominator is Russia for both Telegram and Tavarish (Comrade in Russian). Go ahead, get involved, support fools pool liquidity.
Signal and Threema are good for private cross-platform communications, but they have no 'channels' AFAIK.

Common denominator is Russia for both Telegram and Tavarish (Comrade in Russian). Go ahead, get involved, support fools pool liquidity.
Signal and Threema are good for private cross-platform communications, but they have no 'channels' AFAIK.
Freddy "Tavarish" Hernandez. Youtube personality, Carguy, Russian Immigrant, when he was a child.

"Freddy was born in 1987 in Novomoskovsk, Russia (former USSR) but moved to Elizabeth, New Jersey at a very early age with his family. At age 12 he adopts the screen name
"Tavarish", which is a romanized spelling of "товарищ" which means comrade or friend in Russian."

https://youtube.fandom.com/wiki/Tavarish

Back