Tecumseh Snow King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Poulan Pro snowblower with a 8.5hp Tecumseh. I was out using it, and had run it about 20 min. Suddenly, it started surging badly, just like it was running out of gas. I stopped and checked, and it wasn't empty, but I filled it anyway. When I started it, the surging stopped, but it ran rough. Applying a little choke seems to make it run a tad better, but the difference is small. Between that, and filling it with gas stopping the surging, I'm inclined to think it's fuel-related, but wanted to check with the experts. Again, it ran fine, and the problem started suddenly. Thanks!

Sounds about right mine must be half to full with gas or it could do the same. Make sure fuel tank is venting. Mine is over 13 years old and runs like a song at temps under 20F but over 32 forget it sits and surge at idle but not WOT. With that said runs like the day I bought it new and starts with one pull every time never let me down I just live with it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Get some Berrymans Chemtool, put a splash in the fuel and run it. It will probably clear up quickly.

I have some good, strong carb cleaner (Conklin 4-PowerG), but I'm nervous to use it, because of the plastic tank. Thoughts?

dirt in carb...needs to take it apart and clean it.

*common cause of irratic/sputtering on otherwise normal running OPE enignes*

Q.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: Trav
Get some Berrymans Chemtool, put a splash in the fuel and run it. It will probably clear up quickly.

I have some good, strong carb cleaner (Conklin 4-PowerG), but I'm nervous to use it, because of the plastic tank. Thoughts?

No problem the tanks are acetone resistant, which is one of the main ingredient in most of these chemicals. Try it.

Tecumseh engines seem to have issues with the float in the carb, it may be heavy causing a surging problem. Gum and varnish can also restrict the main jet or needle valve. You should pull the fuel line to make sure its flowing decent, may also be a dirty strainer screen in the tank. Any possibility of water in the gas?

My snowblower has a China Clone engine and it has never had fuel problems, it has a screw in filter in the fuel tank.

*Always use some type of fuel stabilizer. StarBrite is better than Stabil according to a small engine shop.

Update: I poured in some cleaner, and didn't notice any difference - still ran rough. I decided to pull the shroud off and remove the carb. When I knelt down to work on it, I saw a large screw caught down below, that had fallen out from somewhere. Uh-oh! I started to remove the shroud, and as I moved it, I saw the carb move with it! Both carb mounting screws were gone (well, one I had found down below), and the carb was held in place only by the two screws to the shroud! My eagle-eyed 10-year-old was out with me, and she walked the driveway/sidewalk and found the other screw and one nut. I later found the other nut, but we were unable to find the mounting gasket. Oh well, no big deal...I'll pick one up tomorrow.

It sure wasn't what I expected to find, but I guess it just goes to show how much vibration there is on these engines. Thanks again to all who offered advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back