TCW3 and TC Combination oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havoline/Chevron have a 2-stroke oil that is supposedly TCW3 and TC compliant by using an ashless detergency element in it. Some small air cooled engine manuals say do not use any oil with a TCW3 rating or any oil that meets both criteria for TCW3 and TC. I think we all understand the differences between water cooled and air cooled ... but if an ashless component is used in both and it passes both tests what is the downside of using this oil over a TC only oil?

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=76849&docFormat=PDF

I would like to run this oil in my Husqvarna chainsaw instead of the more expensive Husky brand oil. What do you think?

How much chain saw gas/oil do you go through where you need to worry about the cost of the oil? In the past I have bought a small container of 2 cycle oil that was enough for 1 gallon of gas. The cost of the oil was less than $2.00. The mix would last me at least 1 year, maybe 2.

Now I buy premix for the 2 cycle OPE.

Let's forget about the cost ... I can deal with that either way ... let's just consider it from a technical perspective ...

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
Let's forget about the cost ... I can deal with that either way ... let's just consider it from a technical perspective ...

Premix then.

In life how many multipurpose things compromise on the individual functions to get them multipurpose?

I buy TCW3 oil by the gallon at Walmart (for my Cummins) but still buy premix.

I'm not asking what to do. I'll make my own decision ... it's a technical question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back