Taking a drive with empty boat trailer

I have a 2021 LoadRite aluminum boat trailer that at this point is only used if the boat needs to be brought someplace for work. It's never been dunked in fresh or salt water, only rain. The boat is not stored on the trailer. It's dual axle with surge brakes.

So my question is how far and how often should I give the trailer a ride behind my pickup to keep the brakes and bearings properly lubricated and working.

My trailer makes the 230 mile drive to the cottage in May, then sits unloaded in the woods all summer, Then in September it is 230 miles back home to where is sits loaded in a garage until the next May. I repack the bearings every few years. Never have had any trouble with the surge brakes.

I would say if it's never been dunked before, the brakes should look like brand new inside. It wouldn't hurt to give it a light squeeze with the grease gun every year. Your biggest issue I would think would be the tires getting dry rotted from sitting outside. A drag around the block every now and then will keep the tires from developing a flat spot.,,

My single axle with surge makes a 225 mile spring trip and the same in the fall. 12 miles to the ramp one way when boat gets used in the summer. Fresh water only.
Self-lubing bearings get a shot of trailer bearing rated marine lube every spring and I check the adjustment on the brake shoes then.
Since yours is unloaded I would make sure to get a few hard stops in to actuate the trailers brakes to knock the rust off the drums and then check the shoe adjustment. It will change until the shoes ''wear in'' since it gets light use. Most likely you have the Dexter style self lubing bearings, with the center zerk fitting under the rubber cap, and with no immersion in water and with no real loaded mileage grease is not a concern.
Taking it for a spin to knock off the drum rust once and a while should be your only concern. Humidity will still get in and rust the braking surfaces.

My single axle with surge makes a 225 mile spring trip and the same in the fall. 12 miles to the ramp one way when boat gets used in the summer. Fresh water only.
Self-lubing bearings get a shot of trailer bearing rated marine lube every spring and I check the adjustment on the brake shoes then.
Since yours is unloaded I would make sure to get a few hard stops in to actuate the trailers brakes to knock the rust off the drums and then check the shoe adjustment. It will change until the shoes ''wear in'' since it gets light use. Most likely you have the Dexter style self lubing bearings, with the center zerk fitting under the rubber cap, and with no immersion in water and with no real loaded mileage grease is not a concern.
Taking it for a spin to knock off the drum rust once and a while should be your only concern. Humidity will still get in and rust the braking surfaces.
I believe the brakes are disc.

Back