Take tire off the wheel without special tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
BTW, last weekend I tried unbeading a tire by running it over with my car. I couldn't break the bead! Maybe it was too cold and the rubber wasn't compliant enough.

You need a very heavy car for this. It's possible, but not easy to do.

I think I answered my own question. I searched the net on testimonials for the Harbor Freight tire changer. It's popular among the motorcycle and atv crowd, but just doesn't do it for automotive tires.

Kestas, I have one of the Harbor Freight tools, and it works very well. I've found that sometimes it's easier to just use the pry bar with the tire on the ground than to muscle it on the holder. They are worth the cost just for the bead breaker and long pry bar that's included.

The above mentioned warnings about using high pressure to seat the beads have merit. One tip I could add is to use a silicone tire/rubber dressing as a lubricant instead of soap. The silicone is much more slippery, and when using it my beads all seat at no more than 20# pressure. It dosen't corrode the wheels as does soap and water, and won't harm the rubber. It's more expensive though, and that's probably why the high volume tire shops don't use it.

Hey kemosabe; Have you had any problems with the tire slipping on the rim and throwing it out of balance? Seems like I heard of this happening when using silicone fluids as lubes.

Kemosabe, thanks for the thumbs up. Does this tool need to be mounted on a wall or anything? And does it work well with aluminum rims? I read a post where somebody had problems with it barking up the aluminum.

Feed that russian page into http://babelfish.altavista.com and get English. An excerpt:

From this misfortune is insured no one...
Hardly sowing for the control, you, my young friend, risk "to slovit' nail" approximately just as your highly experienced grand-dad, indeed the objects, capable of piercing tire, it is sufficient on our roads. True, careful and attentive chauffeur nevertheless suffers more rarely: after seeing on the road the fragments of wooden container, the scattering of bottle splinters, other "promising" materials, it them will travel over. But that, coma laziness baranka to turn, will pay.
Nevertheless even contemporary "sharp-sighted falcon" it will not examine nail on the road from distance 100 it is meter. And here is - typical situation by the name "on three wheels". Why on three? But because recently one was already punctured, and it they replaced with backup. However, they threw that punctured into the baggage carrier and forgot.

DickWells, CapriRacer, I've used silicone when mounting tires for over 10 years on dozens of tires, and never once had one slip. That's not to say it couldn't happen if the air pressure got low, or you were running on a dragstrip.
I do watch my tire pressures closely.

Kestas, you can easily mount it on a piece of plywood, but I use it unmounted on a concrete floor. On alloy rims, I wedge a piece of cloth or shop towel between the tire tool or bar, and the alloy rim. This prevents scratching the wheel face.

Over the years I've used the jack or run over them, but now I have a neumatic mounter. Matter of fact I have the only one in a city of 130,000 people. Most shops just use a pick-axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back